top needs adjusting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everwood

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
I have a coupe problems with my convertible top.It is a fairly new top.

First problem is when putting the top up, the drivers side is a little tough to latch but if i pull it down so the line up pin will slide into its groove, then i can make it latch. The passenger side is a different story. It seems it just will not go far enough forward to make it latch. after cussing and fighting with it for a while, i can usually get it to latch. i think both sides could move forward further and make it much easier to latch.

Second problem is when top is down, the drivers side seems to stick up (not retract far enough)

I can't even begin to put the boot on.  There is nothing in the trunk but that is what it acts like.

i just refinished the interior and while i had back seat out I replaced hydraulic pump and hoses and one cylinder.

I have never owned a convertible before so I am at a loss .

Thanks for any help.

Wayne

I have had 7 Mustang convertibles. When you put the top up or down you never let the pump build pressure at the end of travel. When you hear the pump start to moan let off the switch. The top will drift the remainder of the way. The front latches have adjustment on them for the hook. 

When your top is down open the trunk and see if the top well is letting the top go down to the wheel house. Somebody might have put the top well in too high up preventing the top from going all the way down.

The covers or boot on these are almost impossible to put on The shrink over time and just do not fit.

Also when you park your vert you should release the front clamps and let the front seal breathe to keep it from collapsing.

All sounds like good advice. Hopefully we can get a few warm sunny days and i can experiment. In the mean time i will check the fluid level. It was full when i put in new pump and hoses

Wayne

I am in the process of putting my convertible back together. My plan is to make sure the top fits properly without the cylinders attached. The top can be moved up and down without the power assist. That way I have a baseline to work from. You might want to give that a shot.

Vintage vinyl convertible tops should not be left folded down for extended periods (i.e. multiple days, weeks, etc) - they can shrink and you will have issues as described where it will be difficult to latch. Check with any qualified installer for these older cars for followup advice.

Always latch it and keep it stretched -- there is no advantage to 'relaxing' the fabric or the front balloon seal. If the front seal is dried out and flattened from being there for past 50 yrs, it's an easy replacement.

If you can latch it, you can leave it and possibly the material will stretch back out a bit. If you can take it to a local upholstery installer who is familiar with vintage tops, they may be able to offer some advice or a diagnosis of the problem. Difficulty will be finding someone who is knowledgeable and you can trust.

The folded frame rests on the top of the rear wheel wells. You may have noticed the factory hammered them down somewhat flat to allow the frame to fold down a bit further. You may have fabric bunching up in sections that don't allow it to fold properly. Check you have bled the air from the lines (take plug out of reservoir and run it up and down until the lines are clear of bubbles - procedure is explained the the manuals.). You can also disconnect the cylinders from the top frame & manually fold it to check the folded frame fit on both sides (it's going to be heavy!)

Vintage vinyl convertible tops should not be left folded down for extended periods (i.e. multiple days, weeks, etc) - they can shrink and you will have issues as described where it will be difficult to latch.  Check with any qualified installer for these older cars for followup advice.

Always latch it and keep it stretched -- there is no advantage to 'relaxing' the fabric or the front balloon seal.  If the  front seal is dried out and flattened from being there for past 50 yrs, it's an easy replacement.

If you can latch it, you can leave it and possibly the material will stretch back out a bit.  If you can take it to a local upholstery installer who is familiar with vintage tops, they may be able to  offer some advice or a diagnosis of the problem.  Difficulty will be finding someone who is knowledgeable and you can trust.

The folded frame rests on the top of the rear wheel wells.  You may have noticed the factory hammered them down somewhat flat to allow the frame to fold down a bit further.  You may have fabric bunching up in sections that don't allow it to fold properly.  Check you have bled the air from the lines (take plug out of reservoir and run it up and down until the lines are clear of bubbles - procedure is explained the the manuals.).  You can also disconnect the cylinders from the top frame &  manually fold it to check  the folded frame fit on both sides (it's going to be heavy!)
No, I did not know or notice that the wheel wells were flattened. soon as it warms up a little around here i am going to check that out. That could be the problem. Thanks for the heads up. i will also be checking these other idea also. 

:goodpost:

LOL, they did not hammer the wheel house that is why they build dies to hit the parts. They simply put the assembled wheelhouse in a hydraulic fixture or a press and hit it one time with a tool. It is called a crash form since the material is not controlled it gets all wrinkled. They did not have people standing around with BFH beating on parts all day long. There should be a piece of the like under carpet pad on top of the wheel house unless someone tossed them. 

I always release my top latches and my top or tops have never shrunk. I do not leave it down it is up just the latches released.

That's a nice entry way for rodents I would think!  dancebanana
that crossed my mind too.
You guys do not read it is just unlatched not open. I have the electronic rodent repellents in the garage and no mice. I keep bags of corn sitting there for the deer and in 4 years never had any. I do leave the trunk open so even if top was open would not matter. I leave snacks on my work bench and they never get eaten by mice. My only animal issue is when I leave garage door open the humming birds like to come in and then cannot find the door. I had a red feeder on bottom of door and they find that.

I hear everyone, but here's a top that needs adjusting and I wish I could leave it unlatched...

I hear everyone, but here's a top that needs adjusting and I wish I could leave it unlatched...

i doubt the mice would be a problem, but the deer and the antelope might play.

I have had 7 Mustang convertibles. When you put the top up or down you never let the pump build pressure at the end of travel. When you hear the pump start to moan let off the switch. The top will drift the remainder of the way. The front latches have adjustment on them for the hook. 

When your top is down open the trunk and see if the top well is letting the top go down to the wheel house. Somebody might have put the top well in too high up preventing the top from going all the way down.

The covers or boot on these are almost impossible to put on The shrink over time and just do not fit.

Also when you park your vert you should release the front clamps and let the front seal breathe to keep it from collapsing.
interesting... I don’t think I would release the top latches and leave them like that long term. I may be wrong... but, I believe on the vert’s it is important to keep them latched tight as this aids in the overall vehicle lining up properly in the long term. I understand the car was built to handle the top down, but, these cars are now 50 years old... They were not engineered to last that long so anything one can do to assist in keeping the Vert body dimensions in tact is a good thing. I keep my J Code Vert top in the latched position alway’s... Its easy to replace a seal, should the need arise IMO.

LOL, they did not hammer the wheel house that is why they build dies to hit the parts. They simply put the assembled wheelhouse in a hydraulic fixture or a press and hit it one time with a tool. It is called a crash form since the material is not controlled it gets all wrinkled. They did not have people standing around with BFH beating on parts all day long. There should be a piece of the like under carpet pad on top of the wheel house unless someone tossed them. 

I always release my top latches and my top or tops have never shrunk. I do not leave it down it is up just the latches released.
 I’ve actually read old articles stating that they in fact did have to have someone hammer the wheel well to ensure proper fitment... I guess, unless we were on the assembly line, we may never know the truth...

Back