Convertible Top To Far Forward?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Morning!

I'm trying to adjust my top which is going to far forward (picture 1 and 5) and not closing as the latches won't line up. There are a couple of pictures that show how far, probably close to an inch. I did some searching and thought I may be able to loosen the nut (in picture 3) and slide it back a little closing the S shaped gap (in the picture 2) but that did not allow it to move. I took off the weather stripping and found the screw in picture 4, but removing it did not allow for any movement and it appears that it will seat only in this position anyway. Is there a video/manual/any place to look to see how I can adjust the top rearward some to allow for seating correctly and latching?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 0
How did your top wind up in this position? Did you have it off the car? From the condition of the pads, it doesn't appear to have been recovered recently. How well are your doors closing? Are the door gaps even from top to bottom?

How did your top wind up in this position? Did you have it off the car? From the condition of the pads, it doesn't appear to have been recovered recently. How well are your doors closing? Are the door gaps even from top to bottom?
It was in storage for about 5 years with the top down. Not sure if that was the cause, but that is where it is now. There is no glass in the doors, so there is no way to check the window/top fit at the moment. The top is at least 20 years old.

These don't just go out of adjustment on their own - especially by that much. If the top frame hasn't been off the car, that means something on the car has moved. Get the car on a lift and start taking measurements of the frame and unibody.

These don't just go out of adjustment on their own - especially by that much. If the top frame hasn't been off the car, that means something on the car has moved. Get the car on a lift and start taking measurements of the frame and unibody.
Thanks, will check on the frame. Still looking for how the adjustments work on the top, any help there?

Out of curiosity -- how are the door gaps? I agree with MikeGriese that a careful investigation with chassis measurements is needed.

Convertibles like to fold up in the middle, which would explain why the top overhangs the windshield frame. What could be done to solve the problem is going to depend on where the problem is. Could be weld fails in the unibody by the rear of the door frame, could be problems with the cowl at the windshield frame - it's a list that will have to be eliminated by measurements. In any event, if the chassis is weak and starting to fold up, it will take some serious skill to set it right.

A little more history on the car would be helpful - have you always owned it? What bodywork was done during the repaint? How are the floors - including the trunk? Given the age of the material on the top, I think the top is not your problem here. The fabric on our vintage convertible tops shrinks over time, making the top hard to latch in the other direction - it gets harder for the latch to reach the windshield header.

Maybe do a simple measurement using a plumb line from the windshield at the dowel pin cavity and down to door or dash pad, then compare with an another vert without this issue. Just a thought. This may not be accurate enough....

Update:
Just checked my car , dash pad won't work, maybe the top of door .

Last edited:
Back