73 Mach 1 sun roof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHIEFER69

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 sportsroof Q code
[url=https://ibb.co/3dq4LFQ][img]https://i.ibb.co/pw8b9K5/20200502-111739.jpg[/img][/url]
So I have a dilemma! I recently purchased a 1973 Mach 1 mustang Q code and it came with a sunroof on it. I know that it did not come out of the factory with one on it, but I heard that certain dealers had them as options. My question to you guys is would having that sunroof on it hurt or maybe add value to the car? It works fine no leaks at all. However, If i do eventually sell ot I want to know if it affects the value or not, or makes it a rarer car. I appreciate you guys reading and any info you have about my situation.. 

THANKS

Depends on the type. Standard aftermarket pop-up s are not a hot item and are usually too small. If I remember right the Cougars had an actual metal sunroof as an option, but I could be mistaken. If it's a really well done conversion, it might not hurt the value, otherwise, it's probably not a good thing.

Pics would help.

detritusmaximus pid='371132' dateline='1591404568']Depends on the type. Standard aftermarket pop-up s are not a hot item and are usually too small. If I remember right the Cougars had an actual metal sunroof as an option, but I could be mistaken. If it's a really well done conversion, it might not hurt the value, otherwise, it's probably not a good thing.Pics would help.
I'll need to get better pics of the sunroof.. Right now I have it at the shop getting worked on

20200502_111739.jpg

If I remember correct when I was looking in 1973 the Cougar had the Moon Roof option, they also had leather seat option and I did look at them and Pantera. But I ordered the Mach 1.

I do not know if Ford would have gone far enough on the Special Trim & Paint options to install Moon Roof in the Mustang at factory or not. If you have a six digit DSO code you might want to dig deeper. If it were factory the Build Sheet will have it noted on the bottom half of the sheet. Doubt it but possible. The Marti report will list a cost for Special Trim or Paint but get specific on it.

Answer depends on what the car is...

If this is a mostly original car then this will for sure hurt the value with a hole cut in the roof. Since this is a Q code, that makes it rarer and also more desirable.

If this is a non original or resto mod then if done correctly might not hurt and could be desirable to some.

Below is a pic from my high school car that I cut a hole in roof for pop up sunroof ha ha.

71 mach high school.jpg

Attachments

• 71 mach high school.jpg
    71 mach high school.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello CHIEFER69,

It is a possibility that you could have a factory sunroof. If so, that would make your Mustang a rare car with an extremely rare option. Ford never offered the power sunroof as a regular production option (RPO) on the Mustang. Ford probably figured since the Cougar was more upscale and luxury orientated the sunroof would sell better on the Cougar rather than the Performance-oriented Mustang. Since Mustang/Cougar shared the same assembly line it was certainly a possibility to get any Cougar option as long as it would physically fit and if you had the $$. The sunroofs were installed by American Sun Roof Corp (ASC) and had been on the Cougar option list since 1967.

Since you already have a Marti report and it doesn't show it or the DSO order code, it's looking more to not being a Ford/ASC sunroof. Marti Auto Works also offers a copy of the actual invoice Ford sent to the dealer. So if your car was drop shipped to ASC it would be on the bottom of the invoice below the ordering dealer address. Your door decal would also show a four-digit code after the two-digit DSO code (which is not on your report). The majority of the special orders on the car line were for other than RPO paint options. Anything not in the Mustang option list would be a special order.

The roof panels were metal and also normally required a vinyl roof.

You could also check the power roof switch and see if there are any ID numbers on it. If it is an ASC/Ford top then the switch could have an ASC part ID# A5AA-321-0031 or Ford part ID # D1SX-15B691-AA.

I have very little price info on the Mercury line but the power roof option on the '73 T-Bird (also an ASC installation) was a little over $500.00 so I figure the Mustang to be in the same price range.

Hopefully, this will help you further determine if your sunroof is Ford or aftermarket.

Hello CHIEFER69,

It is a possibility that you could have a factory sunroof. If so, that would make your Mustang a rare car with an extremely rare option. Ford never offered the power sunroof as a regular production option (RPO) on the Mustang. Ford probably figured since the Cougar was more upscale and luxury orientated the sunroof would sell better on the Cougar rather than the Performance-oriented Mustang. Since Mustang/Cougar shared the same assembly line it was certainly a possibility to get any Cougar option as long as it would physically fit and if you had the $$. The sunroofs were installed by American Sun Roof Corp (ASC) and had been on the Cougar option list since 1967.

Since you already have a Marti report and it doesn't show it or the DSO order code, it's looking more to not being a Ford/ASC sunroof. Marti Auto Works also offers a copy of the actual invoice Ford sent to the dealer. So if your car was drop shipped to ASC it would be on the bottom of the invoice below the ordering dealer address. Your door decal would also show a four-digit code after the two-digit DSO code (which is not on your report). The majority of the special orders on the car line were for other than RPO paint options. Anything not in the Mustang option list would be a special order.

The roof panels were metal and also normally required a vinyl roof.

You could also check the power roof switch and see if there are any ID numbers on it. If it is an ASC/Ford top then the switch could have an ASC part ID# A5AA-321-0031 or Ford part ID # D1SX-15B691-AA.

I have very little price info on the Mercury line but the power roof option on the '73 T-Bird (also an ASC installation) was a little over $500.00 so I figure the Mustang to be in the same price range.

Hopefully, this will help you further determine if your sunroof is Ford or aftermarket.

Thanks for the information Secluff! The reason I'm having a hard time on this is because once I get it back from the mechanics, my dad and I are going to be starting on the bodywork. We have the original gauge steel for it. The sunroof pops open and works fine with no leaks. If we take the sunroof out that means cutting and welding the steel back in the hole. I know based on all welds that it can and will have warping of the metal. Come Monday, I will go to the mechanics and see what kind of sunroof it is so I know if its an after market or not. If it wont affect the value much and makes it a more rarity of a car I was just going to keep it and start on the bodywork with it on there. If not we were going to take it out and cover it back up

From what Secluff has said it sounds like it is an aftermarket sunroof. Given that, I would recommend that you remove it and patch the roof. Since this is a very desirable car and appears in nice original shape it will be worth more if put back to original condition. You also don't see very many white cars with blue interior so will be unique. Good luck.

Jeff

From what Secluff has said it sounds like it is an aftermarket sunroof. Given that, I would recommend that you remove it and patch the roof. Since this is a very desirable car and appears in nice original shape it will be worth more if put back to original condition. You also don't see very many white cars with blue interior so will be unique. Good luck.

Jeff
Yea tomorrow when I give the mechanic my new valve covers im going to take a look at the sunroof and see what brand it is... If not original I will take out and patch..... Grant it the whole car will not be original but for the most part i trying to keep it that way.. Thanks for your info Jeff

Just to throw this out there, patching may be tricky unless your body man is very good at welding  and shrinking the warp out. Why not replace the entire roof. They were a panel unto themselves anyway. However I do realize that may be easier said than done, but at least it would be structurally sound.

Just to throw this out there, patching may be tricky unless your body man is very good at welding  and shrinking the warp out. Why not replace the entire roof. They were a panel unto themselves anyway. However I do realize that may be easier said than done, but at least it would be structurally sound.
My dad dies body work and paint... We thought about replacing the whole skin of the roof... I think we will trying the patch first and if it ends bad then might have to replace the whole skin... That's why I was hoping this sun roof might be a rarity

Hello and welcome from Germany

My dad dies body work and paint... We thought about replacing the whole skin of the roof... I think we will trying the patch first and if it ends bad then might have to replace the whole skin... That's why I was hoping this sun roof might be a rarity
 I see, then he should know how to do it. Glad you're looking at all options. If that sun roof is indeed factory installed, then for sure you keep it, if not, your choice. If it was installed correctly and you like it, keep it, if not loose it.

Just my thoughts on it. You have a nice looking car there for sure.

Welcome from west Michigan.

One question, do you like the sunroof or not? It looks like a decent installation and it doesn't leak,...
Its nice.. It would be easier to do bodywork just around it and not taking it out. However, I do not want to hurt the value of the car if people don't like that kind of stuff if nor original

Latest posts

Back