If Hello-

I'm looking at a number of Boss 351s for sale. Some I've seen have 351 Ram Air marked on the hood, some just say Ram Air and some have no marking at all. I'm assuming that the ones with no markings at all have been repainted, but which is correct - 351 Ram Air or just plain Ram Air, or could they have come from the factory either way?

Hello Jhornet,

The correct and only way the 71 Boss left  Dearborn was with the "Ram Air" decal. Ford felt it would be redundant to use a "351 Ram Air" decal since the fender decal already proclaimed that it was a 351. There was also NOT a decal on the ram air housing lid. You will see a lot of them with a 351 ram air decal on the lid but that is actually a decal for the 69-70 GT-350 Shelby. Unless going for the Concours look you should use whatever you like. The lids on the ram air cars always looked a little plain with no chrome or decals.

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Cool thanks. The one I have my eye on just says 'Ram Air'. I saw one on sale for $79K that had the 351 added. Thanks

Hello Jhornet,

The correct and only way the 71 Boss left  Dearborn was with the "Ram Air" decal. Ford felt it would be redundant to use a "351 Ram Air" decal since the fender decal already proclaimed that it was a 351. There was also NOT a decal on the ram air housing lid. You will see a lot of them with a 351 ram air decal on the lid but that is actually a decal for the 69-70 GT-350 Shelby. Unless going for the Concours look you should use whatever you like. The lids on the ram air cars always looked a little plain with no chrome or decals.

As usual, Secluff is 100% correct.  ::thumb::

137748824_429RAMAIRdecal.JPG.711fc5fa08af4c0e1905ce8d88dab391.JPG

As a Boss 351 owner  (for a very long time), I have seen many cars with incorrect striping, decals and emblems.  As for the hood decals, the "351" was not added.  It is the other way around.  They come from Ford as "351 RAM AIR" or "429 RAM AIR".  For the Boss 351, we just cut off the "351" or "429" part.  And they are only correct in argent or black to be placed on a non-gloss black or argent painted hood. Personally don't care much for gloss black or argent hood treatment. 

IMHO, it defeats the whole reason it was done that way to start with! 

Ray

• Like 1

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

• 2 weeks later...

There is another decal that people seem obsessed with and which DID NOT come from the factory...…...the CAUTION: FAN decal on the fan shroud.

• 1 month later...

The cautions fan decal was there. I am original owner and they are always crooked. This picture was made before I cleaned it up. It bugs me that you can never find the correct one on the valve cover that is original one on mine. Stickers I see on lots that were not on mine are the ones on the cowl. It is my belief that they were only on audit area cars that got picked over. They did so many a day and if issue was found they went back down the build to see if others were bad. They did not inspect quality in. 
I also paid the big bucks for the Marti radiator and heater hoses and they are nothing like the originals on my car. I kept the old one's and put the repo on. 

100_2214.JPG

100_2216.JPG

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David