Wheel specifications?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Coupe
Hello everyone!

A while ago I was going around a turn in the rain and my 1972 Mustang slid out and I overcorrected the recovery and clipped a curb with my passenger side rear wheel. I replaced the smoothie wheel with a new one and got it fitted onto the tire and put back onto the car. Although, a couple times now the wheel balancer has fallen off and the wheel has a slight wobble (not really noticeable until above 30mph in terms of hearing the wobble). I was told by a friend to look into a hub centric spacer or ring because the wheel might be slightly off center when mounted. He told me to find the wheel bore and hub size for the stock 1972 Mustang wheels but i can't find anything. Anyone able to help, or offer any other advice as to fixing this problem? I don't want to take my car on a freeway until i get this fixed. 

Thanks! 

-Zak 

If your new wheel is the correct one it shouldn't need a hub centric ring, the wheel opening should match the hub. I'm assuming by wobble you mean you can see the tire move back and forth when it rotates. If the wheel is not concentric with the hub, which would happen if the wheel opening is too large, the wheel would have circular runout and the wheel and tire would move up and down in relation to the axle. If the wheel/tire wobbles from side to side you have lateral runout. The new wheel may be the problem. However, it's possible that if you hit the curb hard enough to bend the wheel you may have also bent the axle or axle flange.

I would start by putting the new wheel on the front of the car and see if it still wobbles. I would measure the circular and lateral runout of the axle flange/hub. You can also put a front wheel on the rear to see if it wobbles.

If you do need a hub centric ring I would measure the axle hub and the wheel center with digital or dial calipers to make sure I got the correct ring.

Back