I am in the market for a black Sanden compressor. I will be upgrading to the ClassicAuto Air system but they don't sell it with a black compressor. So my question is in regards to quality/price of the Sanden compressors. When I search for a Sanden 508 I see prices ranging from the $130s to the high $300s. I see Holley, Summit, Tuff Stuff, CVF, etc. Does the Sanden company make the original compressors and then some others make Sanden-type compressors? Is there a key or brand related to better or worse Sanden compressors? I don't want to over pay, but I also don't want to buy a piece of junk. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by tony-muscle

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

10 hours ago, detritusmaximus said:

Do a Google search on Nostalgic AC Parts. They have a page discussing just that.

Interesting. So they are all made in China because Sanden does not make them anymore. Who knows, probably all these brands purchase from the same factory there and they just slap their name to it.

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

According to what I read on there, Sanden 508s are made in Taiwan (not the same as made in China) and the Camden 70something is made in the US.

508 is stronger, the other is smaller.

'Sanden-style' is made in China.

12 hours ago, detritusmaximus said:

According to what I read on there, Sanden 508s are made in Taiwan (not the same as made in China) and the Camden 70something is made in the US.

508 is stronger, the other is smaller.

'Sanden-style' is made in China.

Where do you find the Sandens made in Taiwan?

Okay, so it seems you have an additional type to consider which is the rebuilt compressors.  So there is 'good' new,  'cheap' new, 'good' rebuilt, and 'cheap' rebuilt. And then which type of belt drive you want.

Here is a Holley branded black Sanden. It says it is OEM Sanden in the listing. 

"Black SD508 is the compact high performer of the Holley compressors. It tolerates bursts of higher RPM better than other compressors and has a light weight clean design. This also is an OE manufactured compressor. (Sanden)"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-199-103-SD508-Sanden-A-C-Compressor-Black/264811345269?epid=13037516772&hash=item3da7fc7575:g:aesAAOSwcuJfIDzV

Depending on what your opinion of painting it yourself, Vintage Air has a standard finish single groove pulley genuine Sanden for $249. 

https://www.vintageair.com/accessories/?subcat1=Compressors&subcat2=Sanden SD 508 Compressor&subcat3=Single Wide Groove