Perhaps an alternative to Pertronix

Is anyone running this https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/distributors/distributor_accessories/conversion_kits/parts/2020? Other than color it seems to be a copy of the Mallory unlit but costs less. I had very good service from the Unilte in the mid-late 1970s. It may be a better choice than the Pertronix. Chuck

8 minutes ago, c9zx said:

Is anyone running this https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/distributors/distributor_accessories/conversion_kits/parts/2020? Other than color it seems to be a copy of the Mallory unlit but costs less. I had very good service from the Unilte in the mid-late 1970s. It may be a better choice than the Pertronix. Chuck

Well chuck, it's waaaaay cheaper than Pertronix.  As we all know, the Pertronix Igntor III in a Motorcraft distributor is garbage mechanically (unless they've redesigned it recently) A P II in Canada cost about 160 bucks plus tax. It's only 75 bucks in the US so why NOT try it, not too much to loose if it is not up to the job. Still, distributor curve and degree limitation is key as you know. 

Try it and let us know if you like it. Maybe I'll go to that if my P II packs up.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I don't need one, my old cars all have Ford style triggers but, I thought someone may have tried one and could give feedback that others would find helpful. I am not a fan of Pertronix triggers myself, too many problems. Even the Pertronix I goes unstable at about 5600 RPM. It moves timing around + and - 6-8 degrees at that RPM. I have seen it happen twice on an engine Dyno. Chuck

We tried one in a Y block several years ago, dealing with the adapters was a PITA with the distributor in the rear, the connections and adapters seemed kind of flimsy. It works on optics rather than induction, like the Pertronix. I changed it to Pertronix when it started acting up, I believe the problem was with the flimsy adapter and keeping the shutter wheel/sensor properly aligned. The Y block was in a '55 Willys 4x4 wagon, so the ride could get a little bumpy. It worked OK when it was working, there was a noticeable improvement after installing a P1.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein