Who is running a 17" or bigger wheel

One other thing I don't believe I've seen mentioned is tire pressure. 32 psi no longer fits everything. To get the  correct pressure you need to take into consideration the weight on each tire with the car with full fuel, passengers, and whatever you might carry in the trunk and then look up the load/pressure ranges for that tire size. Just putting in the maximum pressure, as shown on the tire sidewall, will not  give you a good ride or handling, or tire longevity.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, mustang7173 said:

Hello Lazarus,

Nice! I was looking into that direction. Since you have them installed and driven on them, I may again change direction. I have the 245/45-17 all away around and can tell every nook and crannies on the road. Your convertible looking really good! I appreciate the feedback!

What brand tire are they ?

Thanks for the compliment on the car brother!  Below is a shot of my two verts together that shows the wheel choices. It was while the 72 was in epoxy primer prior to paint. 

The tires I have on are Firestone Firehawk AS

A few caveats:  I have driven muscle cars since college and have a pretty realistic view of their ride quality. The tires you have on now are wider but not too much lower profile in the front; we may have different springs, shocks, or maybe just different sensitivity in our backsides.   I’d feel awful if I were to give you the impression that these will solve all your problems... but as I said, I don’t think the wheels feel much different than the original magnums on my 73. the rears would give you almost 3/4 inch more profile, for a total diameter of +1.5” so hopefully that would make a difference. 

Also, you do get to a point where tread design and tire structure matter also. My brother used to manage a Firestone and he had recommended these tires as a good all around tire without too stiff a ride. 

56573753-25E3-47BD-9E68-DBB0EE080B1C.jpeg

Edited by Lazarus
Added wrong pic

Lazarus

9-C51-EEB4-A25-A-4-F27-8-D01-0-EB879931296.jpg

Hello Lazarus,

No  worries! I understand the dynamics of these cars. I appreciate the real world experience that you bring to this thread and the forum.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

On 2/15/2021 at 4:20 PM, TheDude said:

FWIW - Here's mine running craigslist 20's all around. Sorry don't have great pics as we've been working on it non stop. 20x9.5s in the back with 315/35/20s and 20X8.5s with 255/40/20s up front. With that wide a tire there is still a reasonable amount of sidewall in the back IMO and looks pretty good. The front sidewalls look to thin. It's at stock height so I think lowering an inch or two up there will make that look a lot better. Eventually I'll probably go 18's or 19's with a taller sidewall. 

Personally I'd stay away from 17" wheels unless you know exactly what you want and don't think you will want to tweak the fit as there are just far fewer size options in 17s. 

Also for what it's worth, it handles and rides really good with this setup considering its all stock.

image.png.0147be529d2b029c35e8e71bbc49d002.png

I need more photos pleaseeeeee

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:14 PM, 73FastBk said:

I need more photos pleaseeeeee

Still haven't had it out much to get pics, but here's one from last night. Really need to get the front end down as it's pretty tall right now. On my list of never ending projects and $$

image.thumb.png.b903c8d1ed348d1bb18142bfc2775134.png

• Like 1

image.png.c5a82cdc270542869e213815ec368140.png   72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed, FiTech EFI, 8.8 / 4.10 LSD Rear end, discs all around. Fancy rattle can paint job. 

Dropping the front should only take time... Sweet ride! 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]