c4 shift lever swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramair

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe 351W
1973 Cougar Convertible(sold)
1966 Mercury Comet 202
1985 F150 4X4
1989 Mercury Cougar XR7
1962 Ford Fairlane
How hard is it to change the shifter lever in the trans case on a C4 transmission? The transmission I installed with my 351W was for a column shift car.

IFF I remember correctly, it requires removing the pan, filter, valve body, and parking pawl and linkage. It has been a very long time. Automatic transmissions are not my favorite item to work on. Chuck

I am going to have a tranny shop do it. I don't feel to comfortable removing internal part in the tranny.

Actually, there is a way to do it without dropping the pan.

Keep in mind that the difference with shifting mechanisms (Column vs Floor) on the transmission has to do with the external lever on the transmission. On Column Shift Transmissions, the lever points down while on Floor Shift transmission, it points up. To correct this issue, you normally have to tear the transmission down and reverse the lever.

TCI makes a shift lever that mounts to the outside which takes care of that problem without tearing into the transmission. On my Column shift C6 transmission, I purchased the part from a local Speed Shop for $24.99, not including tax back in 2004. The Shop is now out of business but I would imagine that it is still available. The Part Number on the receipt is #27316. I am not sure if this is the TCI number or not.

Hope this helps.

BT

I have the correct levers in the old trans that I pulled from the car. The shop is going to pull them out of the old trans and put them in my new trans. I am also going to have them replace a couple other seals that are leaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back