220 kph Speedometer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sprint Sportsroof
Just won a metric instrument cluster off ebay from Berlin - I was stoked to find out that such a thing ever existed for these cars! Australia went to metric in the early seventies so only cars from 1973 and earlier here had mph speedo's, and everything after that had kph. This speedo (assuming it is in working condition) should make it easier for me to keep to the right speed without having to convert the mph to kph in my head every time there is a change in signed highway speed.

Looking at the picture though makes me think I may have to calibrate it using a different speedo driven gear in the gearbox, as I notice the "straight up" position on the speedo is 110kph (68mph) whereas our speedo's have 60mph as the straight up position. Unless the speedo itself is calibrated differently of course, but I guess I'll find out what I need to do when the unit arrives and it's installed in my car.

1WIkq.jpg

Those speedo's came in T 5's

You will need to play with gears to get it right or close

I have a 73 Q code T 5 Mach 1 project here , it had a orange speedo gear.

Don

Don
Don, I don't mean to steal Roy's signature line but, got any pictures of the T5?

Chuck

Don
On the face of it looks like I might have to get the new speedo running slower, which I believe means a driven gear with more teeth. Searched the net for more info and it seems 1 change of tooth equals approx 3.5 mph difference on the dial, so I need to eyeball the gear I'm currently running and then run the new speedo against my GPS unit and work out the number of teeth based on the GPS and speedometer difference.

How did you end up with a T5 Don? Did you get it shipped back to the US from Europe? Does anybody know how many 71 - 73 T5's were made?

Brett

"How did you end up with a T5 Don? Did you get it shipped back to the US from Europe? "

A friend found it in Texas and told me about it.

Not sure of it's travels as it had a New Jersey title.

"Does anybody know how many 71 - 73 T5's were made?"

For 71-3 all body styles and engines, there were a little over 1500 total

In 73 there were 299 fastbacks, the one I got is a Q code Mach 1 so I'm thinking it has to be rare

They made the speedo in KPH but the oil and water gauges are PSI and Fahrenheit

Don
Don, I don't mean to steal Roy's signature line but, got any pictures of the T5?

Chuck
Chuck, no pictures, it is buried in a corner.

But if you are looking for your next project ???? I can get you some pics

I think a red with black deluxe interior, 73 Q code Mach 1 T 5 would look nice next to the white Mach 1

Last edited by a moderator:
i think a friend of mine in switzerland might have some t5 parts. if anyone needs something let me know.

abudi

For those interested in how much I paid it was $92 plus $77 shipping to Australia, so a grand total of $169. I bid $50 over that price but there was only one other bidder so got it a lot cheaper, and I snuck my bid in at the last 4 seconds to avoid getting caught in a potential bidding war. It's a pretty rare item so still pretty happy with how much it's cost me. if it doesn't work though it might be a different story, but a worse case scenario is that I could transfer the face across to my working speedo.

I gotta chime in on this subject.

They did not only make them on the T5.

The T5 was the label for German Mustangs only, as a German motorcycle brand owned the "Mustang" name back then. So the Mustangs for Germany did not have "Mustang" decals but were branded T5.

Now, back to the metric speedos: Mine is an export model and has the metric speedo as well, but it is no T5 but a "Mustang"! Cars exported to Belgium, Luxembourg, France etc had metric speedos without having the T5 name. They had Mustang lettering on them. (I assume that is true for the rest of the "metric" world.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is for non tach car but

200.00 for an NOS KPH speedometer

I don't think that is bad for that rare of a part, and it is new.

If I'm not Mistaken...Any Reputable Speedometer Shop can Reprogram and Re Face the Speedometer to read to any Speed you want...But....It won't be cheap.....any one know of one???

Back