Do 1971-73 Mustangs rust worse than other model years?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
A guy that have had these 1971-73 Mustangs recently told me that these cars rust more badly than other model years. Is this true? I know that parts are not reproduced for these cars as are for 1965-70 but that they rust real bad???

I have owned a number of Mustangs and other vintage muscle cars through the years. My experience would suggest that the cars are no more prone to rust than other vintage mustangs. I believe that location of the car, i.e. southern climate and garaged, are the critical factors when looking at the potential of rust. I always have cars I purchase put up on a hoist, to check for hidden problem areas. So, I would suggest that any year could be a keeper if it is checked out.

I know that any classic Mustang is rust prone (especially floor pans and cowls), and I've heard that classic Chryslers are very, very rust prone. As 73mustanggord said, if it's a southwestern car and/or garaged, it should be in pretty good shape.

I would agree they all rust if not cared for properly.I have had all through the years 1965-1990 mustangs.So buy what you like

I don´t think this era mustangs rusts more than the others... I´ve had 66s, 70s and now this 72 and this is BY FAR the best built of all classic mustang i´ve had...

Rust always depends on several issues as the guys have been saying in here... As for the body design, in 71-73 cowl is the most common rusted area but fixing it in not that complicated... I prefer 100 times to fix a 71 73 cowl that fixing the same in a 66...

Our era mustang have a fantastic strength on the outer skins as doors, fenders and rear quarters dont loose their original alignment that easy....

Shock towers with the welded bridge down there is a gigantic improovement in the car structure and really make a difference in the feeling / safety when you´re behind the wheel...

I think what you have to look for is a non accidented car, with its original body panels and no signs of bad jobs done on it in the past... If you accomplish that, then you dont have to worry for the cons this body typed mustangs have, because for sure, they are the best you can get on classic stangs...

I've owned a fair share of different mustangs just over the last few years and the older ones seemed to have to worst rust issues. Of course it had a lot to do with how they were stabled I guess.

Here is a picture of the ponies I've owned in the last few years. The worst was the 1964 1/2 convertible(top right), very bad underneath, followed by the 65 coupe(bottom left). Best shape were the 1970 Mach(bottom center), the light blue 1964 1/2 coupe(top left) which had been restored before I got it, my current 73 Mach(bottom right) followed by the 71 Grande(center). Of course the 95 GT convertible(center top) has no rust.

all-stangs3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 71-73 rust less than the 65-66 especially the cowl, the redesign of the cowl on the 71-73 is far superior to prevent rust than the 65-66 IMO

I've never owned other year Mustangs, but have seen a lot garaged or parked in the elements. NONE has rotted to the core worse than the 7173's I've seen or owned. I think Ford really cheaped out and didn't take the proper steps / spend the money to properly rust proofing our cars.

{Thumbs up}Yup just counts how they are cared for i think too..Only thing are years of mustang is water collecting in the window corners on the fast back...And if the trunk seal leaks any..The heavy angle of the fast back acts like a funnel for the water to fill your trunk..lol....But can happen in just any car allmost...They all rust in the classic spots..Fenders and floors...But every car in the world does that unless there plastic or a fiber vett ;)

I've never owned other year Mustangs, but have seen a lot garaged or parked in the elements. NONE has rotted to the core worse than the 7173's I've seen or owned. I think Ford really cheaped out and didn't take the proper steps / spend the money to properly rust proofing our cars.
Yes..But your in hawaii ;).. Talk about humidity...i been to honolulu{my uncle was a chief on the carl vincent carrier} Felt like i was standing a bit close too a boiling pot of water..hehe..And all that salt water ...too use too my area..lol..its bad on all thin skins from all makers....Same with down south.....thats why cars from my area..arizona..cali..washington desert..usualy sell for a bit more cause of the lack of moisture..lol..Heck im pulling a 1934 truck out of a ditch in the middle of the field all month...Its been there for allmost 70 + years....Its has less rust than most muscle cars i see on the coast or down south...lol...Not much to do with the skin or coating on this 1934 ...Cause the paint burned off long time ago in field fires..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been bugging me since I swapped the front clips on mine - why did they only galvanize the rockers? Not a smudge of rust on my galvanized rockers... yet the non-galvanized front frame rails had fist-sized holes in them.

Boggles the mind.

Back