Paint the gas tank?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesdherman

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Simple question, do you (or did you) paint your gas tank? I have a new one and was trying to decide. If so, what kind of paint?

Clean with wax and grease remover, wipe with clean lint free towel, paint with VHT clear satin high temp paint. Looks original but won't rust. Chuck

I bought my new tank from CJ Pony Parts in 2005 and installed it without painting . It still looks bright and shiney today, although I do not drive the 73 in wet weather! I believe the Mustang Club of America judging rules call for unpainted in the concurs class.

I bought my new tank from CJ Pony Parts in 2005 and installed it without painting . It still looks bright and shiney today, although I do not drive the 73 in wet weather! I believe the Mustang Club of America judging rules call for unpainted in the concurs class.
If they can't tell it's painted, it isn't. Chuck

If they can't tell it's painted, it isn't. Chuck
Your right, the judges are not supposed to touch when they judge.

I still have the original tank in my car... of course in Uruguay there´s not such thing as judges and that stuff and my tank is painted in black by the previous owner, as well as everything in the floor... everything is owful black painted but you know what?.... if lasted long so for now, it is going to stay that way...

I´m doing things correctly as i´n needind to fix the parts... that way it seems to be easier on my pocket :p

BTW... i saw chuck´s tank painted as he is telling in some other thread i believe and it is fantastic how similar it is from the original metal color...

Well, since I spent so many years in Asia where it was "Hot" and since I am a "Modifier", I have always painted my gas tanks silver or gray. It is my understanding that painting it a light color reflects "heat" better.

For "racing" purposes, we always took the attitude that the "cooler" you could keep the gas, the better. I certainly cannot swear to it having helped but I sure "won" my share of races:angel:.

BT

Painted mine silver and then clear coated it too. Don't leave it unpainted, you're just asking for it to rust.

Painted my original 73 tank (after cleaning inside and out) with Seymour Stainless Steel paint back in 1996. 30K + miles later it still looks great.

Paint it! I used etching primer then cast iron paint for mine. If anything, it'll rust from the inside out with our new moisture attracting POS#$# ethenol based gas. My boats have a fuel and water separator system and I'm thinking of using the same bulky system on all my land vehicles LOL!

Eastwood sells a gas tank aerosol paint that is supposed to look gas tank colored. Eastwoods have top shelf restoration supplies IMO. Keep in mind that the paint needs sufficient drying time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back