Another Wheel it fit question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73ragtop

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
351C 2V C6
AC, PS, PW, PB
I think I have read all of the posts regarding wheel applications/clearance. I appreciate the posts by tnfastbk and luxstang. But, I am not entirely clear on how to compensate for offset if needed, and have never used spacers before.

Here is the status.

I have a lead on a local sale of four 17X8 Torque Thrust II for a great price. The backspacing seems to be right at 4.5 inches. I called the guy, and asked him to check on offset. He still has the boxes the wheels came in, and they are 25mm.

The wheels have no tires on them, so I cannot bolt them on to check them out.

So, my question is: Worst case, can I buy spacers to make these work?

I almost wouldn't mind buying the wheels on a gamble. However, I don't relish the thought of buying new tires to boot, and then find out I cannot make this work even with spacers

Thanks in advance.

matey, my backspace issues weren't with tyre clearance(although I did like the BF goodrich 285/79/r15 but they were wider than the wheel arch would allow. So I got the BFG 275/60/15 instead.

I don't think you'll have a problem with wheels fitting, (of course it depends how fat the rubber will be whether it wil rub) but rather with offset. I had to get my cragars altered to 4 3/4 backspacing to allow for the rear calipers. With normal drums, I believe 4 1/2 is good.

cheers...

I'd say 99% sure they will work up front and 100% sure they'll work for the rears. The 1% not sure is because I've never tried it, but if my calculations are right, then that size should work up front aswell. The stock 15's on a Mach 1 were 15x7's with 4" backspacing. Even with 235x60x15 tires up front they did not rub. 235/15 tires when installed will bulge at least 3/4" if not a full 1". With this in mind, 17's with 4.5" backspace and 1/4" bulge tires should clear right? Stock 15x7's with 4" backspacing gives you a 3" front lip. Now, your 17x8's with 4.5" backspacing will give you a 3.5" lip, but again, only a 1/4" tire bulge on 17's vs a full 3/4" on 235/15's. See what I'm saying or am I not making any sense? LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
i tell you what, if you look at some of my past threads you'll find out i've done alot of search and fitment of wheels myself within the last year.

my street tires are 17's while my race wheels are 15's.

street set up

fronts - 235/45/17 with a 4.5 backspacing and nowhere rubs at all

rears - originally a 17x9 with a 275/40/17 no problem at all with a 5 BS

now on the rear - a 17x11 with a 315/35/17 with a 7 BS i use a .5 inch spacer to push the wheel out further for looks. if want a 7BS then you got to remove the sway bar and pound the front of the fender well a little bit. if you don't want to remove the swaybar then a 6.25 BS will work and that offset will work.

race set up

fronts - 15x4 1.75BS on 26x4.5x15 1 inch spacer due to cobra brakes

rears- 15x10 5.5 BS on 28x10.5x15's with no spacer (cobra brakes so i have to grind away at the banjo bolt) the 4.5 set makes the set up looks really nice but doesn't rub. i have my lips rolled however.

email me if you want pics or to chat. i've got plenty of pics i believe.

so if i'm running a

Well, here's my two cents.

The good news is that those wheels will fit.

The bad news is:

With 17 inch rims and 4,5" backspace, you gotta be careful, because clearance between the rim and the upper control arm might be an issue. The reason is because the rim is at the exact same level as the lip on the upper control arm.

A 4,5 backspace might work.

You don't need tires to try them on. If the rim clears everything inside the wheel well, the tire will fit in too, as long as you stay with stock diameter and width.

Hell, I had 255/50/18 up front with no body mods or fender rolling and it worked. And those were larger than the stock diameter.

If you can get those wheels at a good price, I'd say go for it and if you have problems with clearance, the use spacers or adapters. Those are available from the usual Suspects (Mustangs Unlimited or one of our forum vendors).

The good thing about this is that with spacers you can actually put the wheels where you think they look best.

At the rear, there will be no problems at all as there is plenty of room there. But you will probably want to use spacers here too, because the rims might be a little too far inside the wheels wells. Again, that's only an issue with looks.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know any more detail or if you have questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.

Thank you all. Very good info. to make a decision.

I am going to give him a call today, and see if they are still available.

Im considering ordering Magnum 500's 15" x 10" with 5" back spacing for the rear only, I have drums in the back, will these work out?

Okay.

Thank you all. Very good info. to make a decision.

I am going to give him a call today, and see if they are still available.
Right on!

Im considering ordering Magnum 500's 15" x 10" with 5" back spacing for the rear only, I have drums in the back, will these work out?
The size will work, but if you like em fat w/ fatter tires like 295/50's then best to go with 5.5" Backspacing. I've got the 9" rearend with Drums on the rear and 5.5" w/ 295/50's and they tuck in nicely. Even with this setup you won't need to do fender rolls, but I recommend doing it if you're going that wide.

Well,

I picked up the wheels. When I showed up, discovered that they were not 4.5 inch backspace, but 5.5 inch backspace with the 25mm offset.

I went ahead and got them anyway. They are in great shape. I figure for $450, if I screwed up, I will put them back up for sale.

They are Torq Thrust II. Model 505-7867

More to follow.

Back