Vinyl roof for fastbacks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I have a 73 Q-Code that I don't intend to put the vinyl top back on. IMHO it only promotes rust due to the difficulty of getting an airtight seal and no leaks in the future. Mine had been parked since 79 and shows problems on the inside but not the outside as far as holding moisture. But I'm just not willing to risk the future.

Thats a good point Mark. I was just wondering since I am looking at a 1973 Mach 1 that has a factory vinyl top according to Marti report but it does not have now...car is Bright yellow with a black vinyl top

Are they available from any vendors? Since its such a rare option.....
I had my vinyl top sewn together by an upholstery guy. Just remember the stitching lines need to line up because the chrome at the rear has notches for the extra thick stitch to fit under.

The next biggest problem was finding the clips for the chrome. To get the vinyl sewn it cost me $270.

Good luck.

My car is the the Blue 73 on snow in the 73 photo gallery

Bright yellow with a black vinyl would be so coooooooooool thou...lol..But i agree..they are a pain on upkeep......My car is red with black stripes had white interior and came from the factory with a white vinyl top....I dout ill stick it back on....Cause i got the paper work to prove what it did come with..And can allways go and have it put back original.

I like the look of the Vinyl top too, but I'm an old fart.

I would not worry about rust on a restoration because I'm sure the repaint would be a lot higher quality with more primer than the original Ford finish and is the car really going to be stored outside anymore. If you like the looks I say put the vinyl roof back on.

I took one off of my 73 when I redid it. There was some rust under the vinyl in the A-pillar, and I did not have the $$$ to get a new vinyl top.

That said if anyone needs the set of moldings to put one on let me know. I have a set for the offering.

~Jim

Back