1971 coupes: Biggest engine fron Ford?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
Does anyone know if Ford offered the 429ci engine in a 1971 coupe or only in the sports-roof model? What is the biggest engine that came from factory on a coupe?

Does anyone know if Ford offered the 429ci engine in a 1971 coupe or only in the sports-roof model? What is the biggest engine that came from factory on a coupe?
Coupes - 53 J codes, 33 C codes

Conv - 32 J codes, 10 C codes

C = 429 non ram air, J = 429 ram air

Thanks VAMACH Wow...to have one of those J or C codes certainly will be a rare Mustang!!

Another cajun sleeper!

A close friend of mine has this 429 convertible.

Factory 429 Cobra Jet Engine, Factory Hurst 4-Speed

Rare Grabber Lime Exterior

NASA Ram Air Hood with Hood Locks

Deluxe Green Interior, Tilt Wheel

Air Conditioning, 3-Spoke Steering Wheel

Factory Tach & Gauges

Power Windows, Factory installed Power Seats (cougar option)

AM/FM Stereo, 15" Magnum 500 Wheels

His Rotisserie Restoration

Marti Report

One of 42 Cobra Jet Convertibles Produced

One of One Built with these Options, Expensive

Verifiably NO expense spared

Factory rep-ordered car

dealership displayed up north for many years before he finally got it

I've ridden in the car....strong...one of the rarest stangs I've seen

Enjoy,

Eric

71429CJconv.jpg

429CJ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw an orange coupe at a Father's Day car show with a 429 several years ago. It was for sale, seems like around $4,000.00. I didn't check the VIN at the time, so not sure it was a real one.

I saw an orange coupe at a Father's Day car show with a 429 several years ago. It was for sale, seems like around $4,000.00. I didn't check the VIN at the time, so not sure it was a real one.
Hey Mike -

Please provide that guy's address so I can fly out there and pick up the coupe and drive it home. As long as its still around $4,000. :D

Doc the Smartass

I wish I knew where it was now. This was two or three years ago. I go to the same show every year and have not seen it back since.

Man, if you have one of those rebuilt with todays technology you could be putting out over 500Hp at the rear wheels. That would be terrifying.

I was first lured to the "big body" by an ole gal without a top on....351 Ram Air car.... she looked wicked. but the owner was in Saudi I think and didnt communicate much. The shop finally put a lien on it...okay there was my chance. The owner good guy, was working with me and it looked like it was gonna be a deal, then he died. The son then wanted 3 times the price for the car. I folded.

Back