Peculiar Engine casting number

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalmonTex

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Bright Red
The engine in my car has a peculiar casting number. It reads "DOAE-" and that's it. Does anyone know anything about this engine casting number? It seems like from everything I can find it appears that it is missing additional letters/numbers after the dash. Did someone grind it off or what? The date casting number is similarly missing a digit or two. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0316-1.jpg
    IMG_0316-1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 1
Agree with Stanglover on the sloppy work, was probably intended to be cast as a D0AE-L block.

Looks like an "L" in the date, making it a November 2nd, 1970 casting, so a 71 model year engine. What's the partial VIN stamp on the back of the block below the driver's head? .

Agree with Stanglover on the sloppy work, was probably intended to be cast as a D0AE-L block.

Looks like an "L" in the date, making it a November 2nd, 1970 casting, so a 71 model year engine. What's the partial VIN stamp on the back of the block below the driver's head? .
Yeah you're right. On a second closer look it appears to be an L. It wouldn't have been a 1 anyway.......... what was I thinking!!!

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the engine is in the car now and I'm unable to locate that partial VIN code mentioned on the back of the block, even with a small mirror tool. Not a big deal, it just seemed odd to me once I started to dig into it...wasn't able to find anyone else online that has had the same issue. This was my dad's car that he built up for racing back in the 80's so it's not the original engine. My car was built as a '73 Q Code but now has a '71 M Code engine block, heads, and intake...it's a bit of a mut :)

Back