Warning about oversized oil plugs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepasquale1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1
STAY away from them. I went single, then double, then tripple over osized to try to plug this leak. Then after finding out here in the forums that its not too hard to change out the pan, i found out why the oversized plugs wouldnt stop the leak and the permanent damage that they caused. Luckly this motor was never ran yet so no shavings in the pump. Anyone ever see an oversized plug do this?

Check out the last picture

35c4bhk.jpg

35b8809.jpg

j78cyb.jpg

Yep. It's due to the amount of metal there to hold the plug. There was a recent post that has an excellent repair for this but in my opinion new pan is the way to go to avoid this happening and the damage it can cause. JMHO.

A "quick fix" is rarely either quick or a fix. Glad you got it handled. Chuck

It seems to be a weak point on the 351C oil pans that the drain plug threads strip easily. A lot of pans obviously have this issue, including mine.

My first thought was to repair the thread and make the plug oversize, but at least I think it's best to follow you guys and repalce the pan.

But are the repro pans of good quality and fit? I plan to use a plain steel or an already painted one.

What are your experiences on that?

Thanks.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 2 aftermarket pans and they both were a piss poor fit. Threw one away and hung the other one in the garage wall. I ended up buying a nice used factory pan. Painted it and threw it on. I was going for stock look so I didn't get a moroso or milodon pan. But I imagine a good name brand pan would work just fine. I was trying to go for the stock look.

Canton PN 15-700 is a stock style replacement pan with the CJ slosh baffle and the least expensive (about $130.00) new pan I could recommend. If you are not concerned about stock appearance I'd suggest and increased capacity pan if you want to flog the engine. Chuck

I bought 2 aftermarket pans and they both were a piss poor fit. Threw one away and hung the other one in the garage wall. I ended up buying a nice used factory pan. Painted it and threw it on. I was going for stock look so I didn't get a moroso or milodon pan. But I imagine a good name brand pan would work just fine. I was trying to go for the stock look.
Recently got a pan from Don at OMS and it was excellent fit and finish for my Cleveland and already painted Ford engine blue.

mike

i got the pan through CFR Performance. Stock replacement, excellent fit. $45.00. Came painted but repainted it to match motor

Back