351C Rebuild Reference

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jugg Head

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Guys,

Just looking for a 351c engine rebuild book that you would recommend. This is my first engine rebuild, so I'm looking for the best detailed booked.

Thanks

I believe Tom Monroe's "How to Rebuild Ford Engines", published by The Berkley Publishing Group is a pretty good source. It covers in some depth the 351C, 351M, 400, 429 and 460 engines.

Hope this helps.

BT

Guys,

Just looking for a 351c engine rebuild book that you would recommend. This is my first engine rebuild, so I'm looking for the best detailed booked.

Thanks
There is always the Ford shop manual set. Don't know if you can buy Volume Two Engine separately though.

mike

I'm with BT on this. This book is great and full of great pics and illustrations. This is what your looking for. The fun thing about it also is it tells you what parts can be interchanged.

rebuild.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Add me to the Monroe fans. An excellent reference when I did my 351C a year ago. Combine it with the Ford Shop manuals, and you have everything you need for a quality rebuild.

On the other hand, it's kind of dated. I got a real kick of of warnings something like "be careful and don't break piston ring lands on the piston, or you could find yourself shelling out another $10 at your Ford dealer for a replacement piston".

I'm with BT on this. This book is great and full of great pics and illustrations. This is what your looking for. The fun thing about it also is it tells you what parts can be interchanged.
Thanks guys, I will pick this one up. I have the Ford manuals, so I should be able to break everything I touch.

Free forum:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/

Great place to get Cleveland info, build ideas, etc.
Big +1 on Will E's suggestion. How you do it depends in some cases on what you want the outcome to be tempered by time and budget constraints. Find a very good machine shop with a great reputation as voiced by people you trust. If the machine work is not done correctly the rest doesn't matter. Chuck

When Dan O'Reilly says:

"Add me to the Monroe fans. An excellent reference when I did my 351C a year ago. Combine it with the Ford Shop manuals, and you have everything you need for a quality rebuild"

he should be saying, "Monroe doesn't tell you everything you need to know, and neither does the Ford Shop Manual."

When I did my first rebuild, I had a good friend holding my hand through the process. His help was more valuable than anything in the Monroe book. Find a friend or a neighbor who can help you. Do the work yourself. Take your time...and take pride in your work.

The last thing you want is to spend 80 hours, a couple of g's and 2 months building a motor only to put it in and have it run like a Chevy(yukkk) because you did not torque down a crankshaft bearing properly.

Back