1973 front bumper

dmuil

I have seen some discussion on the replacement of standard 73 front bumper with a 72 chrome bumper- has anyone been successful? is it worth the effort? I am a new member, if you have any suggestions please let me know

Thanks

::welcome:: to the club. Glad to have you here. Someone should be along shortly that might have an answer to your question.

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

I have seen some discussion on the replacement of standard 73 front bumper with a 72 chrome bumper- has anyone been successful? is it worth the effort? I am a new member, if you have any suggestions please let me know

Thanks

I am also contemplating this swap. Yes it can be done but it is not a bolt on. In addition to the bumper you will need the brackets which will need to be modified (see pictures) as well as the bumper backing plate and hardware. A 71-72 front valance will also have to be adapted. It may also be possible to adapt a 73 valance but I am not sure. The following pictures were graciously provided by a fellow 73 owner on VMF. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting them here.

DCP_3621.jpg

DCP_3622.jpg

DCP_7564.jpg

DCP_7563.jpg

DCP_7562.jpg

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

Welcome to the site!

I think Greengold73 has the chrome bumper on his convertible. I'm not sure if he changed the fenders too.

It's not that member but I do remember a 73 convert that color with the chrome bumper.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Welcome to the site. The original 73 bumpers can be repaired unless you just want the change in style. Should be several threads here about repairing if you search.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Nice post, Tommy. When I was a teacher, we would borrow, trade, and "steal" each other's ideas all the time, rather than try to design a new mouse trap every day. With '71 - '73 Mustangs, I hope it's the same. I doubt that the original poster would take offense. :goodpost:

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

Hello,

it looks good...

2a12e1.jpg

Claus

Claus, looks like you added the chrome fender and hood extensions to go along with the chrome front bumper; nice touch!

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Thanks

A company call Crities sells fiber glass 73 bumpers and alluminum brakets

they look nice and easy to install. BUT if you realy want a chrome bumper you can fit it. You will need to chop cut and weld the bumper brakets. I think the chrome bumper looks good when it is put on

tight to the fenders and grill.(No gaps)

• 9 months later...