smoke from engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 351 clevland dard red
hi dont know a lot about engines so mabey somebody can help me there seems to be more smoke than is normal coming from the breather cap. dose anybody know what might be wrong? its a 1973 mach 1

DSCF0604.JPG

hi dont know a lot about engines so mabey somebody can help me there seems to be more smoke than is normal coming from the breather cap. dose anybody know what might be wrong? its a 1973 mach 1

Start the engine and allow it to warm up... Pull the breather cap off of the top of each valve cover... Observe whether smoke is escaping from the breather cap openings on the valve covers. If smoke is present, the valve guides and/or the valve stem seals are likely worn....<~~Thats what i found online for ya about it.

I'd replace the PCV valve first. Cheap and easy enough.

Also, how is your oil level, high,low or just right? Do you have to keep adding oil?

How does the exhaust look when your under load? Any smoke?

Also, how is your oil level, high,low or just right? Do you have to keep adding oil?

+1 on that! We can diagnose further from there if need be. Like a compression check for broken rings. ect, ect. But this is your best starting point.

your cat is plugging up the exhaust
Hmmmmm. Could be! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

oil level in car is ok dont have to keep topping it up the smoke from the exhaust is clear

OMG! How did I miss that? Here kitty kitty...here kitty kitty!

Back