Tilt steering column.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I know the earlier mustangs (64-70) had the ignition switch on the dash. Besides that, is there any reason I couldn't use on of those steering columns in my '73? I woukd like to get an Ididit or Flaming River tilt steering in my car. Has anyone done this?

Tilt was optional on '71-73's too.

Oh, ok. I'm having a really difficult finding one. Thank you..

They are out there, though. I found one on local Craigslist and gave $120 for it complete with leather wrapped steering wheel.

I've seen them pop up on eBay from time to time also.

I managed to find one, in florida, years before the internet. Those days you would call someone with a hemmings ad, they might know a guy, who you call, they send you off to someone else... it took years to track one down. I think I paid $125 too (or course $125 was worth a lot more 20 years ago). But since the demand was lower (no internet to know the demand) I got it for a fair price.

Anyways... the cougar columns will work too and they were more likely to come with tilt. I actually passed up on a local part out of a column because I didn't understand how the tilt worked and thought it was broken.

Definatly a great upgrade.

Hmm.. I wonder if an earlier mustang column would fit. Then I could just add a dash mounted ignition.

I am but I just spent a few bucks on front/rear springs, shocks, spring plates and I'm getting the car rewired. I was actually planning for a future project. I really do appreciate it though.

I just picked one up from an ebay auction. I set my price from around $450, and it finally topped off at $415 or something like that. I saw one in another auction (reconditioned through a vendor) for $595. They're not cheap.

I was also wondering about the Ididit or Flaming River columns and was even thinking about coming up with a solution to make one of those work. But I'm happy sticking with a stock column, and don't have to worry about all the hassles of making something fit (I have had enough of that so far).

Keep in mind the 71 -72 is different from 73

I have a 73 version that works good

I have a couple of 71-2's that need gone thru

You need the check that they don't slip.

Everyone pulled themselves out of the car by the steering wheel and that force makes them loose and they slip.

Keep in mind the 71 -72 is different from 73

I have a 73 version that works good

I have a couple of 71-2's that need gone thru

You need the check that they don't slip.

Everyone pulled themselves out of the car by the steering wheel and that force makes them loose and they slip.
I agree and remember Ford did some re-engineering of the columns for safety reasons. Part of the shaft was made to collapse on impact. Someone can check their 73 marketing literature - I bet Ford bragged about it somewhere. They did similar promotion on the inside door "Guard Rail" beams beginning in 1971...

Ray

Also there is a difference is in the turn signal switch wiring

71-2 had a different plug VS 73

Awww crud, I didn't realize there was a difference.

Could someone post pics of the 2 columns showing visible differences please?

Or even verbally (casting #, wire color, anything) would do.

I may have a '73 unit for sale :s

Are there any other vehicles this will cross reference wih?

I had been pricing the Flaming River and Ididit columns and that is just crazy expensive for some extra thigh room. I am fairly large (5'11" 240ish) and need to get better seats than what came from the factory. Nothing seems to fit. All I really need is about 1-2 inches of "tilt" and I am home free. Is there anything that can permanently tilt the column? I have never even re-tilted my Ford Escape since I purchased it new back in '06.

View attachment 11088I've got the original one that came in my car. Just fixed a factory defect. Guess where the harness was supposed to go?

I had been pricing the Flaming River and Ididit columns and that is just crazy expensive for some extra thigh room. I am fairly large (5'11" 240ish) and need to get better seats than what came from the factory. Nothing seems to fit. All I really need is about 1-2 inches of "tilt" and I am home free. Is there anything that can permanently tilt the column? I have never even re-tilted my Ford Escape since I purchased it new back in '06.

At 6'4" I find the factory tilt to work with the factory seats. I adjust the tilt some. Up to get in and out and then two 'favorite' positions while driving.

Back