What to do with heater hoses?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemisis72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 351C Coupe
Holley 4bbl Carb
Holley Street Dominator Intake
hey guys, have a 72 coupe with factory ac. I dont the ac so i removed the box and looped the hoses back into each other at the front on the engine. Now the engine rpm runs high to cool off the motor.

My question is:

1. when the hoses were running all the way to the ac box and back was that allowing the fluid to cool down?

2. Is there something I can buy to cool the coolant down instead of looping it back into the engine?

any suggestions and advice would be great

thanks

That really shouldn't affect idle speed--there isn't a connection between temperature and idle speed unless your choke is stuck.

When the A/C is hooked up an on, there is a small valve that closes using vacuum on one of the heater hose lines (heater control valve), so no coolant is circulating then either. I ran my 72 like yours until fixing my cowl early this year and it was fine.

I thought the same, but my car is running at high idle. It will not come down, not even when i adjust the screws there must be something else going on. What else could it be?

That really shouldn't affect idle speed--there isn't a connection between temperature and idle speed unless your choke is stuck.

When the A/C is hooked up an on, there is a small valve that closes using vacuum on one of the heater hose lines (heater control valve), so no coolant is circulating then either. I ran my 72 like yours until fixing my cowl early this year and it was fine.
What would cause the choke to get stuck?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't seem likely however, if there is a distributor vacuum control valve (DVCV), and a dual diaphragm distributor, the valve could be sensing an increased temperature, removing the vacuum from the retard side of the distributor diaphragm which causes the timing to advance more which increases the engine, and fan, speed in an attempt to lower the coolant temperature. This may be a long shot but,......... Chuck

Back