Hello my name GERMY from Texas, do you love my 1972 Mustang Fastback 351W ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback 351C M-Code 4v
Greetings. I'm jumping into a restoration of a 1972. My dream car. When I was younger I owned a 1967 Camaro and a 1971 Camaro, but now I'm settling down with this 'stang. I will have lots of questions trying to put this thing back together, and I have the added complication that my car came factory with 351C, not 351W. At some point the engine was changed out, which leads me to my very first post. The PS bracket I have is very clearly from 351C and does not really line up to the 351W. I have a lot of the original parts, but I'm missing the front square head light brackets. The heater hoses, factory AC brackets and lines, and a lot of the stock vacuum lines are disconnected, but I did get the car running. The previous owner installed an oversized Cam and told me I would need to put a bigger Torque converter into the FMX to account for the added horsepower but I'm not really going to race this car, so maybe I can just tweak the distributor timing a bit instead. Nice to meet you and thanks for the forum. <p>

Your VIN will tell you if its a mach1 or just a fastback. VIN on the dash, driver side apron under the fender, and buck tag.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.
you have a good project by the looks of it. A lot of work ahead but it's doable.
To verify if it's a Mach 1 or fastback, the VIN will tell you. If it read 2f05XXXXX it's a Mach 1. If it is 2f02XXXXX it's a fastback. 2 is the year produced, f denotes it was made in Dearborn, 02 or 05 denote the model and the XXXXXXX is the sequential build number.
As for the motor, sorry, but if it were mine, I'd be on the hunt for a Cleveland, preferably a 71 4V M code with closed chamber heads. These motors could be found with 2 or 4 bolt mains, but unless you're racing it, 4 bolt is no big advantage.
Others will for sure have lots of ideas and comments.
Good luck with it and ask lots of questions. Have fun with it.

Welcome to the forum.

Simple option for the PS problem is to locate a 1970 Mustang/Cougar/Galaxie 351W front pump bracket that's stamped D0AA-3C511-D

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0az-3c511-a.html

https://www.neperformancemustang.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=2083

Another option is to bolt a piece of flat stock to the D/S cylinder head, bolt the front bracket in place (351W and C share the same water pump casting) and determine where the bolt needs to land to keep the pulley true. Drill/tap, or weld a nut on the stock. Take a look at the alternator adapter bracket on the PS head to gain some inspiration.

1710516369929.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Simple option for the PS problem is to locate a 1970 Mustang/Cougar/Galaxie 351W front pump bracket that's stamped D0AA-3C511-D

https://www.neperformancemustang.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=2083

Another option is to bolt a piece of flat stock to the D/S cylinder head, bolt the front bracket in place (351W and C share the same water pump casting) and determine where the bolt needs to land to keep the pulley true. Drill/tap, or weld a nut on the stock. Take a look at the alternator adapter bracket on the PS head to gain some inspiration.

View attachment 86627
I appreciate this info Hemikiller. Thanks for watching my vid. I will look for a cougar 351W bracket, and if not I will fabricate an adaptor and tap it with 1/4 inch steel but It won't be pretty..lol

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.
you have a good project by the looks of it. A lot of work ahead but it's doable.
To verify if it's a Mach 1 or fastback, the VIN will tell you. If it read 2f05XXXXX it's a Mach 1. If it is 2f02XXXXX it's a fastback. 2 is the year produced, f denotes it was made in Dearborn, 02 or 05 denote the model and the XXXXXXX is the sequential build number.
As for the motor, sorry, but if it were mine, I'd be on the hunt for a Cleveland, preferably a 71 4V M code with closed chamber heads. These motors could be found with 2 or 4 bolt mains, but unless you're racing it, 4 bolt is no big advantage.
Others will for sure have lots of ideas and comments.
Good luck with it and ask lots of questions. Have fun with it.
Great info, My Dash vin is 2f02XXXXX, so now I know it's stock fastback, and not a Mach 1

Make it what you want. Personally, I like the more factory look rather than a resto-mod.
Yes. I really agree with this. I have a vision and it does not involve Mach 1 appointments even if it had been a Mach 1. I will probably paint it one solid color including the bumpers, no striping at all, and Add the spoiler and also the back window louvres.

I appreciate this info Hemikiller. Thanks for watching my vid. I will look for a cougar 351W bracket, and if not I will fabricate an adaptor and tap it with 1/4 inch steel but It won't be pretty..lol
Welcome to the forum.

View attachment 86627
Hemikiller, do you know which AC Brackets I need if I keep the 351W ? I have one of the old brackets from the 351C (the big flat square one where the compressor sits), I'm wondering if those 351C are interchangeable or if I need to track that down 351W version too when I install the AC stuff.

Welcome from So Cal. Nice project you have there. Regarding the brackets, it will depend on what compressor you run. If you go with the more modern unit, you’ll need to get the bracket for that, otherwise, an old stock bracket from almost any Ford 351 could work. I’m sure there was a Mustang specific one; Hemikiller knows the part number by heart lol.

Welcome from West Texas! Mine looked very similar when I got it (right down to the wheels), although I think yours is a much nicer starting point. Glad you got it running - it also looks like you have a lot of viable parts you can clean-up and re-use. Good for you! Keep us posted on your progress and ask all the questions you need to... these guys are the best source for '71-'73 Mustangs around and the best cheerleaders as well. Good luck!

Welcome from So Cal. Nice project you have there. Regarding the brackets, it will depend on what compressor you run. If you go with the more modern unit, you’ll need to get the bracket for that, otherwise, an old stock bracket from almost any Ford 351 could work. I’m sure there was a Mustang specific one; Hemikiller knows the part number by heart lol.
Thanks Steve. Once I get the correct PS bracket on, I will see what I'm dealing with. I read the SANDEN compressor is good, and would not require the AC belt slap back pulley to be re-installed. (which I also have)

Back