’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a solid repair and now you have the confidence and motivation to push thru the bodywork on the roof. Great job! I can’t wait to see it ready for paint, then the big push to get it back together. It’s going to be epic!
Yeah, I can't wait to see it in paint either. We are still a bit away from that but every step gets it closer. Thanks

Over the weekend, I also fixed the crack in my quarter extension, fixed a couple little dingers and blocked out both. I sprayed them both with primer as long as I had the epoxy mixed for the roof supports. I aligned them to the quarters to make sure I don't do anything I'll regret later as I finish blocking out the quarters. I already see the bondo is a little thick at the edge on the drivers quarter where it meets to the bottom of the extension. Although just looking at it now, the color of the bondo itself should have tipped me off. Usually you can pretty much see through a skim coat once it is blocked out, like you can with the rest of the quarter. The passenger lines up nicely though, not bad I guess.:)

Mach 1 672.jpg

Mach 1 675.jpg

I got some work done on the roof body work on Tuesday and Thursday night this week. I feel I am done with the body work phase on the roof, it feels really nice and straight. Tonight I sprayed a light coat of epoxy just to protect it until I get it to the body shop, it sprayed really dry because it is like 95 degrees today. That doesn't really matter because when I get it over there, it will enter the prep stage. I will block most of that epoxy down and spray it with a good coat of epoxy and then slick sand. I will block sand the slick sand down and then a final coat of primer and it will be ready for paint. The drivers quarter panel is also done as far as the body work stage. I like to take it in stages like a body shop's departments. First it goes through metal work, then body work, then prep and then paint. The drivers quarter panel and roof are ready to move to the prep stage, but the passenger quarter is not quite there. I have two little spots I don't love yet. I can't get back to it this weekend, maybe one or two nights next week and the body will be ready for the next stage. 🤞

Mach 1 681.jpgMach 1 680.jpgMach 1 685.jpgMach 1 682.jpgMach 1 687.jpg

Last edited:
Last night after work, I sprayed epoxy over the roof and rear quarters that I blocked out Wednesday night. This completes the body work step on those panels. Once my friend has room at his body shop, I will move it over there and start the paint prep stage by block sanding it all down and then primer with better quality epoxy and then slick sand (those I can't spray in my garage, no vent system). This will allow me to do a final block sand and make sure everything is nice and flat and then I will lay it's last coat of primer before paint. I can't wait until I am spraying some Wimbledon White! This morning, I am planning to go to the body shop to work on the hood and front valence. Once those are done I only have the front bumper to straighten and body work and I should be ready to start painting. :D

Mach 1 689.jpgMach 1 690.jpgMach 1 692.jpgMach 1 693.jpg

Last edited:
Last night after work, I sprayed epoxy over the roof and rear quarters that I blocked out Wednesday night. This completes the body work step on those panels. Once my friend has room at his body shop, I will move it over there and start the paint prep stage by block sanding it all down and then primer with better quality epoxy and then slick sand (those I can't spray in my garage, no vent system). This will allow me to do a final block sand and make sure everything is nice and flat and then I will lay it's last coat of primer before paint. I can't wait until I am spraying some Wimbledon White! This morning, I am planning to go to the body shop to work on the hood and front valence. Once those are done I only have the front bumper to straighten and body work and I should be ready to start painting. :D

View attachment 79212View attachment 79213View attachment 79214View attachment 79215
Car is looking so Great, Good Job keep up the Great Work

I got a few hours last night to play around with the Mustang. I blocked out the quarters and roof and used some guide coat to sharpen up the body lines. Now it will need to wait until I can get it in the spray booth at my friend's shop. There we will apply epoxy and then slick sand. After that I will do the final block sand and apply the last coat of primer before paint. Nice to be out of "body work" mode and into "paint prep" mode.:D

Mach 1 694.jpgMach 1 695.jpgMach 1 698.jpgMach 1 699.jpg

Last edited:
Today I sprayed the quarters and rockers with epoxy to protect them until I get it in to the body shop for final prep and primer. I also sprayed the inner fenders with boom mat and seam sealed the door jambs. No major work completed but took some small steps toward paint.

Mach 1 712.jpgMach 1 713.jpgMach 1 708.jpgMach 1 709.jpgMach 1 710.jpgMach 1 711.jpgMach 1 701.jpgMach 1 703.jpgMach 1 706.jpgMach 1 705.jpg

WOW... razor sharp edges, clean lines and straight as an arrow. The car's bodywork is outstanding. There are no small steps, just progress moving forward. You have done an incredible job, well done sir!

I can't wait for the Wimbledon white paint and black stripes. Are you going to add the blackout paint detail on the hood and lower rocker trim also? I know your high school '73 DD didn't have the rocker trim painted but I love the blackout rockers I think it adds another dimension to the paint scheme.

Thanks, yes I am painting the blackout on the hood and the lower body, at first I thought I might paint and stripe it like a 73 in tribute to the car I had as a kid but now I plan to paint it correctly for a 71.

It's officially a car! Well sort of, it moved out of the garage under it's own power. I was able to drive her around a bit and she made it back! That's not bad for it's maiden voyage. I believe from what the previous owner told me , this is the first time in almost 30 years. That's a win/win my book. :D

View attachment Video (37).mov
View attachment Video (38).mov

Last edited:
Back