’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still waiting to get the Mustang squeezed in to the body shop for final prep and paint. In the mean time, I have been focusing on dialing in some mechanical stuff. I discovered after installing it, that the trans has the wrong shift lever. I didn't realize it was a column shift lever until I couldn't get the shifter adjusted correctly (rookie mistake, as I am new to Ford restoration). It is shorter and moves too much compared to shifter. Park is park but neutral on the shifter is first gear on the trans. I purchased the correct shift shaft on E-bay but my trans guy said the trans needed to come out to install it. I am not willing to remove the trans right now on my back in the garage. He has since agreed that it can be done in the car but it is much harder, but he is willing to do it for me once he frees up. I made a temporary fix so my shifter lines up with the trans gears. I pressed the factory stud out of the shifter and did a lot of math. I calculated that the lever motion at the shifter needed to be shortened by 3/4". I drilled a new hole in the shifter bracket and made my own mounting stud out of a bolt, nuts, a nylon bushing and two nylon washers. I wanted to reuse the factory stud but the hole needed to be close to the bend and I didn't have a completely flat surface to press it back in at the mounting hole. Also, I needed a longer bolt to move the shift rod away from the shifter for clearance that close to the bend of the shifter. It seems to have worked, now all of the gears line up with the shifter. At least I will know with confidence what gear it is in until I get it resolved correctly. I definitely want to get the correct shift shaft installed so I can install the column lock-out, otherwise it could stay like this. Next week, I plan to start prepping the trunk floor and inner quarter panels for paint. I intend to paint the inside panels in my garage, as I am not terribly worried about getting any dirt in the paint. Obviously I will do all I can to minimize any contaminants in the paint but is is not crucial. Most of the areas I will be painting will be eventually covered by trim or headliner or trunk spatter paint. This will allow me to keep progress going until it can get the car in at my friend's body shop.

shift lever 1.jpgMach 1 719.jpgMach 1 720.jpg

Last edited:
I also replaced my brand new speedo cable this weekend. Some big dummy (not naming names, but his initials are TPJ) routed the cable so it hit the exhaust and melted. Boy, when I get a hold of that guy, I tell ya, LOL. This time, the big dummy zip tied it to ensure no contact with heat, it appears I can be taught after all.(y)

Mach 1 724.jpg

Last edited:
I also replaced my brand new speedo cable this weekend. Some big dummy (not naming names, but his initials are TPJ) routed the cable so it hit the exhaust and melted. Boy, when I get a hold of that guy, I tell ya, LOL. This time, the big dummy zip tied it to ensure no contact with heat, it appears I can be taught after all.(y)

View attachment 81273
Been there, done the same exact thing!

Well done my friend, you continue to find ways to create opportunities for success. That's some nice fabrication... it appears you ARE smarter than a 5th grader. Also, tell that big dummy he needs to get his act together LOL.... :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, and yeah I told him to straighten out and that he is the only one holding up the progress on this build, but his ADD kicked in when he saw something shiny, so he probably didn't hear me. :LOL:

Since I haven't touched my car in over a month I was feeling guilty. So I decided to dedicate the whole day to it and get something done. I decided to paint the interior of the car. So I prepped and masked it and then sprayed it this evening and it turned out okay. I forgot how much more difficult it is to spray inside the vehicle than the outside. You always have to be careful about where the gun is and where the hose is so you don't bump fresh paint. I would much rather paint outside the vehicle where you have room to move. Feels good to get something done on the car though, Especially since I probably won't have time again for another month or so.

Mach 1 726.jpgMach 1 727.jpgMach 1 730.jpgMach 1 728.jpgMach 1 729.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't been doing anything on my car for weeks again, too busy with all the other life stuff. I finally got over to body shop and finished getting the hood ready for primer and slick sand. I sprayed the hood, the hood scoops and the mirrors with epoxy primer and then slick sand. Now I just need to block sand once more and then a final coat of primer and the hood and mirrors will be ready for paint. I am hoping to find time this weekend to spray the body (quarter panels, roof and rockers) with epoxy and slick sand. I block sanded those panels three weeks ago and haven't been able to find time to spray them. I need to get them sprayed soon as I am doing that in my home garage and the weather is starting to turn here in Chicago and I need to get my daily drivers inside soon.

Mach 1 733.jpg
Mach 1 734.jpgMach 1 738.jpgMach 1 740.jpg

I dedicated some time this weekend to try and make some progress on my Mustang. Yesterday, I put the final coat of primer on the bottom side of the hood and the front and rear valences. These are ready for paint now, but still need one more block sand on the top of the hood and a good coat of primer and the top will be ready too.

Mach 1 742.jpgMach 1 744.jpgMach 1 747.jpgMach 1 748.jpg

Last edited:
Today, I masked off the body after block sanding the roof, quarters, and rockers and sealed them up with epoxy primer and then followed up with slick sand. Now, all I need to do is one final block sanding and then a coat of good primer and then it is ready for paint. It is getting closer, I am hoping that it can get in to my friend's body shop before Christmas and then I can focus on painting once I have access to his spray booth. He is expecting a long term project that is about done to leave in a couple weeks, then he will have room for my car. 🤞 Below you can see it masked, and then epoxy primer and then slick sand and the final with all the masking removed. I wasn't really excited to spray this in my garage at home but wanted to get this stage done and it turned out well, thank goodness. All in all, I think it was a pretty productive weekend.

Mach 1 752.jpgMach 1 753.jpgMach 1 754.jpgMach 1 755.jpgMach 1 756.jpgMach 1 757.jpgMach 1 760.jpgMach 1 761.jpg

Last edited:
Brother, you are getting SO close! Well done, your hard work has definitely paid off and the car is going to look incredible when its painted. Like I've said before.... you gots some skills man! :cool:
What’s more impressive, the skill it takes or the patience? I’m lacking both . Nice job

Last edited:
Today, I masked off the body after block sanding the roof, quarters, and rockers and sealed them up with epoxy primer and then followed up with slick sand. Now, all I need to do is one final block sanding and then a coat of good primer and then it is ready for paint. It is getting closer, I am hoping that it can get in to my friend's body shop before Christmas and then I can focus on painting once I have access to his spray booth. He is expecting a long term project that is about done to leave in a couple weeks, then he will have room for my car. 🤞 Below you can see it masked, and then epoxy primer and then slick sand and the final with all the masking removed. I wasn't really excited to spray this in my garage at home but wanted to get this stage done and it turned out well, thank goodness. All in all, I think it was a pretty productive weekend.

View attachment 83100View attachment 83101View attachment 83102View attachment 83103View attachment 83104View attachment 83105View attachment 83106View attachment 83107

View attachment 83100View attachment 83101View attachment 83102View attachment 83103View attachment 83104View attachment 83105View attachment 83106View attachment 83107
Looking good! Always a good feeling when you get this close to getting them in paint!
Keep up the great work you’ll have it done in no time

Today is my Mustang's and my two year anniversary. Although I purchased her ten days earlier in Las Vegas, she was delivered by the transport truck on November 24,2021. She isn't finished as I had planned for the two year mark, but I think she is progressing fairly well. I could make all kind of excuses for the delay (back and shoulder surgeries, the passenger front fender, paint booth time, parts delays, I am a terrible welder, the roof, ADD, etc.) but I just need to focus on getting her done for next spring if I can. Living here in Chicago, due to our winters it really doesn't matter if she was done now or next April, I still couldn't be driving her until the thaw anyways. I think she has come a long way and it appears we are heading into the home stretch.🤞

Here's to hoping that light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train. :ROFLMAO:

Here she is as the delivery truck arrived with her on 11/24/2021.

Mach 1 30.jpg

Here she is fresh off the truck after a quick power washing.

Mach 1 31.jpg

I think she is looking better than she did. right, right? If I keep saying it will it make it true? :ROFLMAO:

Mach 1 7.jpg
Mach 1 775.jpg

She was stripped down to an empty shell and media blasted down to bare metal inside and out, and coated with epoxy primer, top and bottom, inside and out to protect it.

Mach 1 143.jpgMach 1 102.jpg

The dash and column have all been restored and reinstalled along with all new steering, suspension, and brakes. You can see the detail on that in my earlier posts.

Mach 1 21.jpg
Mach 1 769.jpg

The body work is all done and I am just finishing the final prep for paint.

Mach 1 5a.jpg

Mach 1 777.jpg

The buckled, dented, oil canny roof was straightened, metal shrunk. metal finished, reinforced, and body worked. That's a whole story in itself, LOL.

Mach 1 4a.jpgMach 1 773.jpg

Heck, it even has an engine now. It didn't have one of those when it got here.:LOL:

Mach 1 10.jpgMach 1 534.jpg

Overall, it was a productive two years with the old girl. Would I have liked to have been driving her last summer? Absolutely!
Hopefully, I will be burning some premium fuel through that exhaust next summer, if we don't hit any road blocks on the way.:D

Last edited:
Happy Anniversary!! It’s been a labor of love and hard work for sure. And…. has paid off in more than just a beautiful car. It’s the car YOU built, and that makes it so much more special to you and your entire family. All the work, the delays, the progress just adds to the cars value in your life more than what it would ever bring in a sale. Not to mention its heritage and prominence. Congrats on a great build.

Back