’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much for just the steering wheel?
I just looked at pics of it when I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago before I covered the steering wheel, it is worse than I remembered it. The wheel is the absolute worst part of the standard column that I removed. The rim had a lot more cracks than I remembered, and a big chunk missing out of it. The desert life is great for sheet metal as you can see from the floorboards but not good to plastics and rubber. As you can also see from the pic, the horn pad was also shot. My plan from the beginning was to revisit and do further, more detailed repairs or replace it when I had the chance. My hope was to find a rim-blow and a tilt column some day (after the necessary repairs and replacements were done) but opportunity knocked and that happened sooner than I anticipated. This steering wheel will need a lot of work to restore, TBH, I'm sure there are much better cores out there to start with. I did fill the cracks with epoxy and painted it black before I wrapped the rim in the cheap parts store wrap. I did an okay job, but did not invest the time into shaping and finishing it perfectly as it was meant to be a temporary resolution. The wrap was just a short cut and a nostalgic nod to my first Mach all in one, lol.

Mach 1 98.jpg

I was able to find a pretty nice used horn pad and re-dyed it black and it made the steering wheel look okay.

Mach 1 190.jpg

Here is a pic of my original '73 and my current '71 with the standard column installed. Even in 1981 when I bought my first Mach, although it was only eight years old at the time, the steering wheel already had a crack and some separation. I wanted a rim-blow wheel for that car back then but was working on a high school budget and saving up for that sweet Pioneer Super Tuner III. I looked at all of my favorite junk yards but never did find a rim blow steering wheel for that car. I ended up going to Giant Auto Parts and bought their "best" steering wheel cover, ha ha.

73 Mach 1 8.jpg
Mach 1 794.jpg

I can honestly say when I first installed the first column and looked at the dash I thought of the scene from Star Wars The Force Awakens:

th.jpg

For non Star Wars fans, the quote is from the scene when Han Solo and Chewbacca board the Millennium Falcon again for the first time is decades. Sorry, Star Wars geek slips out sometimes, LOL.

Last edited:
I just looked at pics of it when I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago before I covered the steering wheel, it is worse than I remembered it. The wheel is the absolute worst part of the standard column that I removed. The rim had a lot more cracks than I remembered, and a big chunk missing out of it. The desert life is great for sheet metal as you can see from the floorboards but not good to plastics and rubber. As you can also see from the pic, the horn pad was also shot. My plan from the beginning was to revisit and do further, more detailed repairs or replace it when I had the chance. My hope was to find a rim-blow and a tilt column some day (after the necessary repairs and replacements were done) but opportunity knocked and that happened sooner than I anticipated. This steering wheel will need a lot of work to restore, TBH, I'm sure there are much better cores out there to start with. I did fill the cracks with epoxy and painted it black before I wrapped the rim in the cheap parts store wrap. I did an okay job, but did not invest the time into shaping and finishing it perfectly as it was meant to be a temporary resolution. The wrap was just a short cut and a nostalgic nod to my first Mach all in one, lol.

View attachment 85033

I was able to find a pretty nice used horn pad and re-dyed it black and it made the steering wheel look okay.

View attachment 85034

Here is a pic of my original '73 and my current '71 with the standard column installed. Even in 1981 when I bought my first Mach, although it was only eight years old at the time, the steering wheel already had a crack and some separation. I wanted a rim-blow wheel for that car back then but was working on a high school budget and saving up for that sweet Pioneer Super Tuner III. I looked at all of my favorite junk yards but never did find a rim blow steering wheel for that car. I ended up going to Giant Auto Parts and bought their "best" steering wheel cover, ha ha.

View attachment 85035
View attachment 85037

I can honestly say when I first installed the first column and looked at the dash I thought of the scene from Star Wars The Force Awakens:

View attachment 85038

For non Star Wars fans, the quote is from the scene when Han Solo and Chewbacca board the Millennium Falcon again for the first time is decades. Sorry, Star Wars geek slips out sometimes, LOL.
Ok forget the wheel, lmk if you want to sell the horn pad

...and saving up for that sweet Pioneer Super Tuner III...

That was indeed the radio to own! I too remember saving nickels to buy a Pioneer Super Tuner. Mine was first gen (mid 1970's) as it would go right into the factory opening without modification.

For those too young to know (and those too old to remember) this is what that coveted jewel looked like:

Pioneer Supertuner.jpg

A serious step up from the Craig 8-track mounted on the floor!

Last edited:
That was indeed the radio to own! I too remember saving nickels to buy a Pioneer Super Tuner. Mine was first gen (mid 1970's) as it would go right into the factory opening without modification.

For those too young too know (and those too old to remember) this is what that coveted jewel looked like:

View attachment 85062

Sure was, and add a set of Jensen 6x9 coaxials and you were the man, LOL. That is if you had the rear deck to mount them in, my Mustang had a fold down seat so no where to install 6x9 speakers.

For those too young to know (and those too old to remember) this is what that coveted jewel looked like:

View attachment 85062

Don't forget the Maxell tape for that Pioneer Super Tuner!

Attachments

• il_794xN.4952548569_64bw (1).jpg
    il_794xN.4952548569_64bw (1).jpg
    145 KB · Views: 0
Last night after work, I snuck out to the garage did a little sanding on the rim blow steering wheel. I still have a few small low spots in the epoxy as you can see in the pic below, the couple little shiny spots. I will revisit that when I have more time to spend on it. I will need to determine if those are actually low or if the area around them is still a little high. Overall, it is coming out okay so far.

Tilt column rim blow wheel  43.jpgTilt column rim blow wheel  45.jpg

I also tried to practice how I plan to do the woodgrain effect on an old steel broom handle. I didn't want the first time I try to do it be on the steering wheel itself, LOL.
I think it turned out okay for a first time ever thing. It looks a lot more like wood than it did as the gray steel broom handle it was. I am starting to feel better about this project being completed somewhat successfully than I did at the start. I was pretty apprehensive about attempting this, afraid I might screw up a fairly rare steering wheel and regret not sending it out to be professionally done. The cost was one factor in the decision, but the lengthy turn around time that some of the members mentioned it took was the decision maker. I decided I could probably do it myself and save a bunch of time and saving a little cash never hurts. Here's hoping I don't regret that decision.:unsure:

Tilt column rim blow wheel  46.jpgTilt column rim blow wheel  47.jpg

Last edited:
Your technique is looking good! The ones I've done I've taken some sandpaper of various course grits and scored grain lines in the surface followed by a sanding with finer grit paper to smooth the rough edges. These score marks hold the stain darker than the rest of the surface and provide a little woodgrain feel and appearance.

I think I used an old Mustang Monthly how-to article on restoring woodgrain wheels from 65-67 Mustangs as my procedural reference. I'll have to dig through my archives to see if I can find it.

Happy 53rd birthday to my Mustang! 🥳🎂

My Mach 1 was built on February 2, 1971, four days behind schedule, she was overdue.

I was hoping to have the rim blow steering wheel restoration completed before it's birthday, but I guess it will have to be a belated gift, lol.

I did get the tilt column restored and installed at least. It is about all I have done since around Thanksgiving.

Mach 1 1 Marti Report.jpg

Contrary to appearances, I have made some progress since it's last birthday. I got the exhaust installed and the engine started. I drove it and worked out all of the electrical and mechanical, so everything is working. I have completed all of the body work, got through the whole roof drama, and it is just waiting for me to find time, and get spray booth time, to paint it. I haven't really touched it since before Christmas, wife has been giving me the "car widow" guilt trip so trying to not be out in the garage too much for a little while. This is pretty much how she is sitting right now. All tucked away into the third bay so I can get both of our daily drivers in for the Chicago winter.

thumbnail_IMG_9983.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9979.jpg

As far as progress this is about where it is today, at least it is closer to completion, but it has a ways to go yet.

Mach 1 775.jpgMach 1 774.jpg

Mach 1 794.jpg

It is a little further along than it was on it's 52nd birthday.

Mach 1 547.jpg

And quite a bit further along from how it looked on it's 51st birthday.

Mach 1 146.jpg

I need to try to get this car done by it's next birthday. I hope to have some miles on it and some rubber thrown up in the rear wheel wells before then.

It is kind of a drag coming to the realization that this is the third birthday since I started this restoration. I must be getting slower as I am aging, this is my first restoration that didn't get completed in less than two years. This car arrived on the transport truck the weekend of Thanksgiving 2021. That's over 2 years and two months and counting. Usually my ADD kicks in by now and I have lost focus and moved on to a different project. TBH, I have been starting to plan my next build in my head already, a 67-72 F100 resto-mod as a daily driver is what I would l love to do next. Maybe, I should finally get smart and just buy one of those already done next time, but where's the fun in that?

Man, I gotta get my butt in gear and get this one done, before I go down that rabbit hole. LOL.;)

Last edited:
So well done, the craftsmanship and your attention to ALL the details is evident. And a ton of love, blood (literally) sweat and tears to get to this point. A bit of learning too, for an old Chevy man 😎 that slows everything down a bit. Slow and steady, doing it right, is better than flashes of fast and furious IMHO.

Keep your eye on the prize she’s definitely come a long way in 2 (+) years. Don’t forget to add in the down time from RC surgery and PT.

There’s no doubt she is built better now than she was Day 1! I can’t wait to see her dressed out in classic Wimbledon white, its gonna be glorious.

Thank you for your kind words, it is getting there. I think I am just feeling guilty about putting it on the back burner lately. I think you're right, us Chevy guys learn Ford slowly, haha. I hope to start back on the steering wheel a little this weekend. Tomorrow morning I am installing a big-block in my friend's Chevelle and then in the afternoon I should have a couple hours before my wife and I are going out. I should be able to get something accomplished on the steering wheel.🤞

Thank you for your kind words, it is getting there. I think I am just feeling guilty about putting it on the back burner lately. I think you're right, us Chevy guys learn Ford slowly, haha. I hope to start back on the steering wheel a little this weekend. Tomorrow morning I am installing a big-block in my friend's Chevelle and then in the afternoon I should have a couple hours before my wife and I are going out. I should be able to get something accomplished on the steering wheel.🤞
Happy 53rd birthday to my Mustang! 🥳🎂

My Mach 1 was built on February 2, 1971, four days behind schedule, she was overdue.

I was hoping to have the rim blow steering wheel restoration completed before it's birthday, but I guess it will have to be a belated gift, lol.

I did get the tilt column restored and installed at least. It is about all I have done since around Thanksgiving.

View attachment 85380

Contrary to appearances, I have made some progress since it's last birthday. I got the exhaust installed and the engine started. I drove it and worked out all of the electrical and mechanical, so everything is working. I have completed all of the body work, got through the whole roof drama, and it is just waiting for me to find time, and get spray booth time, to paint it. I haven't really touched it since before Christmas, wife has been giving me the "car widow" guilt trip so trying to not be out in the garage too much for a little while. This is pretty much how she is sitting right now. All tucked away into the third bay so I can get both of our daily drivers in for the Chicago winter.

View attachment 85386

As far as progress this is about where it is today, at least it is closer to completion, but it has a ways to go yet.

View attachment 85381View attachment 85382

View attachment 85385

It is a little further along than it was on it's 52nd birthday.

View attachment 85383

And quite a bit further along from how it looked on it's 51st birthday.

View attachment 85384

I need to try to get this car done by it's next birthday. I hope to have some miles on it and some rubber thrown up in the rear wheel wells before then.

It is kind of a drag coming to the realization that this is the third birthday since I started this restoration. I must be getting slower as I am aging, this is my first restoration that didn't get completed in less than two years. This car arrived on the transport truck the weekend of Thanksgiving 2021. That's over 2 years and two months and counting. Usually my ADD kicks in by now and I have lost focus and moved on to a different project. TBH, I have been starting to plan my next build in my head already, a 67-72 F100 resto-mod as a daily driver is what I would l love to do next. Maybe, I should finally get smart and just buy one of those already done next time, but where's the fun in that?

Man, I gotta get my butt in gear and get this one done, before I go down that rabbit hole. LOL.;)
Your project is coming along nicely imo.. 2 years into all the work you’ve accomplished doesn’t sound like a long time to me especially if your just doing this in your spare time? Also have to factor in your job/family and other projects that get in the way! Keep up the great work and stay motivated you will have it completed in no time

Your project is coming along nicely imo.. 2 years into all the work you’ve accomplished doesn’t sound like a long time to me especially if your just doing this in your spare time? Also have to factor in your job/family and other projects that get in the way! Keep up the great work and stay motivated you will have it completed in no time
Thank you, you're absolutely correct about balancing all of the factors, I just need to stay on the throttle and get it done.

A friend of mine had a guy we know call me last night about the progress on my Mustang. We worked together for years when I ran a dealership that had it's own body shop. He offered to take the car and paint it for me. He is an incredible painter and the paint would be flawless so I am very tempted. He would obviously charge me but I am confident it would be a great price for the quality of work. He always used to say he puts in the extra work blocking and laying down the paint because he hates to wet sand and buff, LOL.

I really wanted to spray it myself with my friend Mike's assistance but it is really tempting to have it go away and come back in 2-3 weeks painted. It is extremely tempting to be honest, but I feel like I should not change horses in the middle of the race.

See what I did there, horses/Mustangs, haha, bad pun definitely intended, LOL.;)

Last edited:
Thank you, you're absolutely correct about balancing all of the factors, I just need to stay on the throttle and get it done.

A friend of mine had a guy we know call me last night about the progress on my Mustang. We worked together for years when I ran a dealership that had it's own body shop. He offered to take the car and paint it for me. He is an incredible painter and the paint would be flawless so I am very tempted. He would obviously charge me but I am confident it would be a great price for the quality of work. He always used to say he puts in the extra work blocking and laying down the paint because he hates to wet sand and buff, LOL.

I really wanted to spray it myself with my friend Mike's assistance but it is really tempting to have it go away and come back in 2-3 weeks painted. It is extremely tempting to be honest, but I feel like I should not change horses in the middle of the race.

See what I did there, horses/Mustangs, haha, bad pun intended, LOL.;)
Do it 😜

See what I did there, horses/Mustangs, haha, bad pun intended, LOL.;)
If the painter is that good, I say have him shoot it and spend the time with your loved ones. Win-win all around.

If the painter is that good, I say have him shoot it and spend the time with your loved ones. Win-win all around.
You are absolutely right about the saved time to spend more of it with family and friends, but I am still torn. I love the sense of accomplishment to say I did it myself, but I know he will do a great job and the car will look great. I am also far more forgiving of someone else's mistakes than my own, so if there are flaws or imperfections (I know there won't be if he paints it) I can accept them better than any flaw in paint I laid out. I have to do some sole searching here. I know while my wife wouldn't be happy about spending more money, she would be happy that I am not disappearing to the body shop every Saturday morning for the next few months prepping and then painting the car. Another pro is that it is a way to kind of put the restoration on a faster track. I don't know, as I am not shy about telling people, indecision really tends to be my Achilles heel, lol.
Maybe I will get a number from him and raise it up the ole flag pole and see if Mama salutes, haha.

Last edited:
I had a couple hours yesterday afternoon and a couple more this morning so I got some work done on my three-spoke rim-blow steering wheel.

I did however get distracted (ADD kicked in) with the two-spoke deluxe wheel that I removed from my car. I remembered it was originally in poor condition and I kind-of repaired it, but didn't really do a great job as it was meant to have a wrap on it. I only wanted the original wheel in the car temporarily, until I was able to find a rim-blow steering wheel. Feeling curious about what kind of hack job I had done, I removed the wrap. Surprisingly, the repair I did wasn't that horrible, actually more finished than I remember doing it. I was pretty disappointed in myself though that I didn't even paint the rim just the spokes. I must have thought the wrap covered the rim and just sprayed epoxy primer to seal up my repairs, disgraceful, lol.

So, as long as I was working on one steering wheel, I decided that I would try and redeem myself and repair both wheels properly.

Mach 1 802.jpg

I ground down the previous repairs on the two-spoke and actually took my time this time and they came out pretty nice. I went back to the rim-blow three-spoke wheel and did a final block sand on the wheel and masked off the wood grain area and the chrome strip and prepped it for paint. I block sanded the deluxe two-spoke wheel and prepped it for paint. And then I sprayed the black color-coat on both wheels at the same time.

Mach 1 804.jpg

Overall they turned out well, although I still have more work to do some future weekend. The Rim-blow will need the woodgrain done before I clear-coat it completely.

Mach 1 805.jpgMach 1 806.jpg

The two-spoke deluxe wheel is ready for clear-coat but I will probably wait until the woodgrain is refinished on the rim-blow wheel. Once I am done with the wood grain, the rim-blow will be ready to apply the clear-coat, then I can paint them both together like I did today. That will save me some mix and prep time and clean-up time as well.

Mach 1 808.jpgMach 1 809.jpg

There is no urgency on the two-spoke wheel anyway, as that steering wheel will probably just end up as wall art, lol.:D

Last edited:
Back