’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice redo. I find very interesting that the original wheel had a black vinyl wrap on it. I have the same exact wrap on my car. Think I put it on after I got car in 1975 and it still looks good.
Thank you, it is coming along.
I installed the black vinyl wrap on my two spoke wheel because it was an inexpensive temporary fix and also for nostalgia's sake. I had one of those wraps like that on my 73 Mach 1 back in high school.

Woop Woop!!! Today is the day! How'd that feel? Other than the slushy mess of course, but that's how it goes right? Pretty soon the car will be WIMBELDON White and the snow will just be camouflage... ;)
Or maybe Grabber blue 😱

Woop Woop!!! Today is the day! How'd that feel? Other than the slushy mess of course, but that's how it goes right? Pretty soon the car will be WIMBELDON White and the snow will just be camouflage... ;)
I am definitely looking forward to pouring some Wimbledon white into my paint gun. It will still be a little while yet there is still a lot of final work to do. I need to block down the slick sand I sprayed on the roof and quarters and primer them. Next I plan to actually align the doors, fenders and hood and then a final block sand of all panels. I will then blow it apart and spray everything with a final primer /sealer coat and then finally color coat and clear. It will be a month or more but at least everything will be sprayed in a booth much better for finish quality and my lungs, respirator can only do so much. Unless I get some time extra time during the week freed up to get a little ahead.

I got over to the body shop and worked on the Mustang yesterday morning for a few hours for only the second time since I towed it over there. Two weeks ago I blocked down the roof, quarters and rockers, trying to make sure it is as straight as I can make it and sharpen up the body lines. My friend Mike was busting my balls about sanding so much material back off, saying you remember you are not painting the car black right? I know white hides a lot of imperfections but I feel if I body work and prep the car as if it was going to be black then the white will look that much better. Last weekend, my wife and I went to Nashville with friends, so no Mustang time that weekend.
Yesterday, we got it into the prep station and masked it up and sprayed the (hopefully) last coats of primer. I loved using that masking film they use at the shop. It is so much easier than ripping off masking paper and taping the sheets together to cover the larger openings like I have always had to do before. Mike showed me, you back mask all of the openings and then drape the film over the entire car. Next just push the film into the openings and into contact with the tape and then trim with a razor blade. It was really much easier and more effective than using masking paper, that's why they are the pros, they know the tricks.
This was the first time the body of the car has been sprayed in a controlled environment. All of the other work and primer spraying has been in my home garage. Needless to say, it was much more pleasant to spray in a booth that is filtering out the fumes and controlling the dust and dirt. Next weekend we are going to New Orleans with different friends, so it will be another few weeks before any more progress is made.

Mach 1 816.jpgMach 1 814.jpgMach 1 817.jpg

I sprayed three coats of primer on the roof and quarters and two coats on the rockers, door jambs and body back panel. I want to make sure the roof and quarters had plenty of material to block sand again and hopefully not cut through and have to re-prime. The next step is to install and align the doors and fenders correctly, and then give the whole body a complete blocking down to insure all of the panels blend together nicely. Then it will be ready to blow back apart and paint white. That's probably not going to be until late April or May but depending on other stuff getting in the way, it should be Wimbledon white before the end of May.🤞
My wife just bought me tickets for the Jimmy Buffet tribute concert on April 11th for my father's day gift so I am sure we be in southern Cali for that whole weekend. Which is a great gift and I am sure we will have a great time, but it pushes the finish date out again.

Mach 1 825.jpgMach 1 821.jpgMach 1 824.jpgMach 1 822.jpgMach 1 826.jpg

Last edited:
I took a couple pics of the Mustang outside, when I moved it from the paint shop building to the body shop building where we store it. It is nice to see it in the natural light, and out of the garage for a change, even if it is just for a fleeting moment for now.

The best feeling though was starting it up and driving it across the street to the paint shop building and back. After buying it with no engine two and a half years ago, driving it across the street of the industrial park and in to the other building and back again on it's own power was an awesome feeling. I can't wait to actually take it out on the road once it has a windshield and I don't have to worry about bugs in my teeth, LOL.:LOL:

I must say, for half a car it rides and drives surprisingly well, haha. I wish I had asked Mike to video it, I didn't think of that until it was parked back in the corner and we were locking up. It was almost like driving my Jeep with the doors off.

Mach 1 828.jpgMach 1 829.jpg

It's looking great! All your effort will pay off big, even with white paint. I've owned and built several white Mustangs and I can always see the imperfections even if others can't. I'm sure it would be the same for you.

I was fortunate to see Jimmy Buffett in concert twice when I lived in Hawaii. He was a great showman and his concerts were fun. Have fun and don't your parrothead gear!

It's looking great! All your effort will pay off big, even with white paint. I've owned and built several white Mustangs and I can always see the imperfections even if others can't. I'm sure it would be the same for you.

I was fortunate to see Jimmy Buffett in concert twice when I lived in Hawaii. He was a great showman and his concerts were fun. Have fun and don't your parrothead gear!
That's cool, we have seen him quite a few times when he came into the Chicago area and Alpine Valley in Wisconsin, and once in Las Vegas in fall of 2019. He always finished the tours in October in Vegas and the tailgate party was at the Flamingo Hotel Pool, that was a really good time. I guess you could say we qualify as Parrotheads. This should be a great show in spite of no Jimmy. It will be the Coral Reefer Band and a bunch of A-listers, including Paul McCartney, the Eagles, Zac Brown, Jackson Browne, Jon Bon Jovi and a bunch of others. It should be a great show, I am really looking forward to it. Even though it is cutting into quality Mustang time, haha.

Cough cough grabber blue with argent 😉
Haha, No, it is definitely going to be Wimbledon White with black stripes and lower body and hood black out and black interior, absolutely, no question in my mind, probably.:D

Doesn’t matter what color you paint it, these cars have such awesome angles, curves, and sharp lines, they look great in any color.
Great job with your car so far, it looks amazing.

Doesn’t matter what color you paint it, these cars have such awesome angles, curves, and sharp lines, they look great in any color.
Great job with your car so far, it looks amazing.
Thank you, I agree the bodylines and curves of these cars are incredible. Every once in a while the car designers get it right and I believe our cars were one of those times.

View attachment Video (40).mov

I got back to the body shop yesterday morning for the first time in a bit, and my friend Mike and I block sanded the quarters one last time. We used 180 to eliminate any sand scratches and smoothen the panels out nice and sharpen the lines a bit. Mike inspected all of the body panels and felt they were all ready for paint except the right front (the infamous "Fender from Hell") fender. He felt a little something he didn't love and that made him want to block it out once more. Then I drove, yes I said it, drove, not pushed, the car across the street from the body building to the paint shop and into the prep station. It sounds so good to say that, drove, it just rolls off of the tongue, LOL.
We masked the quarters across the street and then once in the prep station we covered the rest of the car. We set up the passenger fender and quarter extensions on paint racks. Mike sprayed the primer for me, because like an idiot, I left my respirator at home. Those are not something you want to wear someone else's or have someone use yours, haha. He has been a professional painter for almost 40 years and is so much better than I could ever dream to be, so win for me, LOL..

Mach 1 834.jpg
Mach 1 831.jpg

Mach 1 832.jpg

Mach 1 833.jpg

Mach 1 830.jpg

After we cooked it a bit, we unmasked the car, and not to brag, I drove it out of the paint station and back across the street to the other building where we are storing it. After that, I cleaned the prep station and headed home. I feel it was a well spent few hours and I felt like I accomplished something. Now just need to sand down and prep for paint and spray. I have the Gallons of Wimbledon White and clear sitting on the shelf in the paint shop waiting on me.

LOL, I did mention that I drove it out of the prep station and over to the body shop across the street, right? I think I might have but just in case. The only issue I had is that it doesn't look like my back lights and brake lights are working, LOL. 🤣

View attachment Video (41).mov

It is almost like driving my Jeep with the doors off, haha. 😎

Last edited:
Back