’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a couple hours yesterday afternoon and a couple more this morning so I got some work done on my three-spoke rim-blow steering wheel.

I did however get distracted (ADD kicked in) with the two-spoke deluxe wheel that I removed from my car. I remembered it was originally in poor condition and I kind-of repaired it, but didn't really do a great job as it was meant to have a wrap on it. I only wanted the original wheel in the car temporarily, until I was able to find a rim-blow steering wheel. Feeling curious about what kind of hack job I had done, I removed the wrap. Surprisingly, the repair I did wasn't that horrible, actually more finished than I remember doing it. I was pretty disappointed in myself though that I didn't even paint the rim just the spokes. I must have thought the wrap covered the rim and just sprayed epoxy primer to seal up my repairs, disgraceful, lol.

So, as long as I was working on one steering wheel, I decided that I would try and redeem myself and repair both wheels properly.

View attachment 85444

I ground down the previous repairs on the two-spoke and actually took my time this time and they came out pretty nice. I went back to the rim-blow three-spoke wheel and did a final block sand on the wheel and masked off the wood grain area and the chrome strip and prepped it for paint. I block sanded the deluxe two-spoke wheel and prepped it for paint. And then I sprayed the black color-coat on both wheels at the same time.

View attachment 85445

Overall they turned out well, although I still have more work to do some future weekend. The Rim-blow will need the woodgrain done before I clear-coat it completely.

View attachment 85446View attachment 85447

The two-spoke deluxe wheel is ready for clear-coat but I will probably wait until the woodgrain is refinished on the rim-blow wheel. Once I am done with the wood grain, the rim-blow will be ready to apply the clear-coat, then I can paint them both together like I did today. That will save me some mix and prep time and clean-up time as well.

View attachment 85448View attachment 85449

There is no urgency on the two-spoke wheel anyway, as that steering wheel will probably just end up as wall art, lol.:D
Ok how much for the two spoke wheel 🛞?😜

Ok how much for the two spoke wheel 🛞?😜
I have no idea what it is even worth. I would have to look into what a fair price would be, but it isn't even done yet, lol.

Let's wait until it is done and see how it turns out. Nobody may want it when it is done, depending on the final results.

Just a reminder, it started out looking like this:

Mach 1 26.jpg

And then this:

Mach 1 794.jpg

And tonight it looks like this, (I laid the horn pad in for photo op) but it needs to cure and then I am going to wet sand it down and then clear-coat it.

Mach 1 810.jpg

My goal is to make it look like new, it is coming along but we wont know how it really turns out until it's done.

Last edited:
I have no idea what it is even worth. I would have to look into what a fair price would be, but it isn't even done yet, lol.

Let's wait until it is done and see how it turns out. Nobody may want it when it is done, depending on the final results.

Just a reminder, it started out looking like this:

View attachment 85454

And then this:

View attachment 85461

And tonight it looks like this, (I laid the horn pad in for photo op) but it needs to cure and then I am going to wet sand it down and then clear-coat it.

View attachment 85462

My goal is to make it look like new, it is coming along but we wont know how it really turns out until it's done.
I have faith that you will get it done right 👍

I worked a little more on my steering wheels over the weekend. I painted a faux wood-grain on the "wood" portion of my rim-blow and laid a coat of clear over it to see how it looked. I am pretty happy with it so next I plan to sand the whole wheel down and lay a few good coats of clear over the whole wheel, hopefully it will be done after that. 🤞

Tilt column rim blow wheel  54.jpgTilt column rim blow wheel  55.jpgTilt column rim blow wheel  56.jpg

I placed the horn pad on the wheel just to get an idea of what the finished product is going to look like.

Tilt column rim blow wheel  61.jpgTilt column rim blow wheel  62.jpg

When the new rim-blow switch assembly is installed the gaps at the ends of the horn pad will be tighter, but overall I am liking the progress, so far.

Last edited:
I also sanded down and repainted the black on my two spoke wheel that I removed from my Mach. It turned out well so I plan to scuff that down next weekend also and spray a couple good coats of clear and that should be complete also.🤞

Tilt column rim blow wheel  57.jpgTilt column rim blow wheel  60.jpg

Also, placed the horn pad on this wheel to visualize what the finished look will be.:giggle:

Tilt column rim blow wheel  63.jpg

A wheel you can be proud of, for certain!
Thank you, I am probably spending too much time on it but I thought that if I am going to be staring at it all the time I am driving this car I better do it as right as I can, haha.

Thank you, I am probably spending too much time on it but I thought that if I am going to be staring at it all the time I am driving this car I better do it as right as I can, haha.
That is absolutely 100% correct! Both of the steering wheels look incredible. The “wood” portion of the RBD wheel looks very good. I am convinced you are going to receive many compliments on them both. Outstanding!

Have you purchased your horn switch?

That is absolutely 100% correct! Both of the steering wheels look incredible. The “wood” portion of the RBD wheel looks very good. I am convinced you are going to receive many compliments on them both. Outstanding!

Have you purchased your horn switch?
Yes, I purchased all of the parts that I would need to restore the wheel and column a couple days after I picked them up from Joe, but that is now a couple months ago. I did not expect it would have taken me this long (and still not quite there) to restore the column and wheel. Too much other stuff going on, great stuff, just doesn't allow for much Mustang quality time, haha. Hopefully, I will get the wheel cleared in the next week, and then after a few days for the paint to cure up nicely, I can install the switch and get the wheel installed in the car. I am expecting it to go to paint in the next month or so whichever path I choose to take on that, and it would be easier to steer with a steering wheel, LOL.

Unfortunately, I did have to replace the horn pad, it had shrunk so far away from the rim it left large gaps on all three spokes at the rim. The Re-pop horn pad fits great, but it does not have the stitching the original had. Even though one who is knowledgeable on these vehicles will identify it is a reproduction immediately, I think I like the horn pad better without the stitching. Probably not a popular opinion, I know, because as we know it is incorrect.

Last edited:
Yes, I purchased all of the parts that I would need to restore the wheel and column a couple days after I picked them up from Joe,
Unfortunately, I did have to replace the horn pad, it had shrunk so far away from the rim it left large gaps on all three spokes at the rim. The Re-pop horn pad fits great, but it does not have the stitching the original had. Even though one who knows these vehicles will see it is a reproduction immediately, I think I like the horn pad better without the stitching. Probably not a popular opinion I know, because it is "incorrect". But to me the stitching doesn't really tie in to anything else in the interior. There is no exposed stitch on the dash pad, console, or door panels. I tend to overthink stuff like that though.
I had to replace my original pad as well for the same reason. I'll keep a lookout for a nice OEM or good, used pad and grab it later down the road. But for now, I'm gonna rock the repro pad. Obviously, I kept the original pad but like you stated above I wanted to have a nice wheel to look at while I was driving.

You do you brother, do what makes you happy. As far as the rest of us.... we are just along for the ride! :cool:

I got some time yesterday to spray the final coats of clear on my rim-blow steering wheel. I think it came out pretty well, there are a few little spots that I will need to wet sand and polish after paint is fully cured, but nothing terrible. This morning, I placed it on the column, not installed just mocked up, to get a feel of how it is going to look when it is done, and it looks awesome! I have wanted one of these steering wheels since I had my '73 in high school. I still need to install the rim-blow horn switch once the paint has cured for a few days, then I can install it for real.
I am hoping to need a steering wheel in the car very soon, because the Mustang should be being towed to my friend's body shop tomorrow. The long-term '69 Chevelle project in his shop is supposedly being picked up today. This will free up space to get my Mustang in over there. Once it is there we will align the doors and fenders properly and set gaps and then block the complete car as a whole. This way we will be able to make sure that all of the panels line up and are flush with each other. Then we can blow it apart again and finally start spraying some darn Wimbledon white paint! LOL :D

Tilt column rim blow wheel  65.jpg

Tilt column rim blow wheel  68.jpg

Here is a picture of the column and steering wheel still in the donor car. Fortunately, it was a pretty nice core to start with (thank you again to 72Mustang Sprint). I rebuilt and refinished the column first and finally I am finishing up the wheel.

Tilt column rim blow wheel 3.jpg

Here it is today, a little different, haha:giggle:

I plan to install the rim-blow switch tomorrow morning and then install the wheel for good, then it will be ready to be towed out to the body shop. With the steering wheel installed it can be started and driven around as needed at the shop.

Tilt column rim blow wheel  71.jpgTilt column rim blow wheel  72.jpg

I love the look of the deluxe two spoke wheel, but IMO, the rim-blow just turns it up to 11.:love:

Mach 1 794.jpg

Last edited:
I took the 2 spoke steering wheel to the next level with a hand stitched leather cover.
I really like that idea for the two spoke, way better than the wrap I originally put on my two spoke. It looks great and is probably more comfortable to drive too.

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it!! LOL :cool:

The wheel turned out amazing!!! 🏆
Haha, I will believe it when I see it too!

Thank you, I was apprehensive but now I am glad I did it myself, if for no other reason than the sense of accomplishment. I like to push myself out of my comfort zone from time to time, but not too far, LOL.

I really like that idea for the two spoke, way better than the wrap I originally put on my two spoke. It looks great and is probably more comfortable to drive too.
Yes the extra padding under the steering wheel definitely makes it more comfortable. I used one of the plastic perforated covers underneath for padding.

I also sanded down and repainted the black on my two spoke wheel that I removed from my Mach. It turned out well so I plan to scuff that down next weekend also and spray a couple good coats of clear and that should be complete also.🤞

View attachment 85709View attachment 85710

Also, placed the horn pad on this wheel to visualize what the finished look will be.:giggle:

View attachment 85711
I know a certain 72 Sprint that needs a nice wheel now that the rim blow is gone 😜

Mach 1 813.jpg

The Mach 1 left for the body shop this morning, of course it decided to start a sleety snow right before the tow truck arrived. Hopefully, we can get some work done on it over there and get it ready for paint in a month or so. It would be great if I can get it painted and back home by early spring and get the glass and interior back in it and maybe even get to drive it this summer, dare I dream? LOL :giggle:

View attachment IMG_0309 (6).MOV
View attachment IMG_0304.MOV

Last edited:
Back