10X15s on the rear?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great look it is, mister 4x4 your car has come a long way::thumb::
Thanks, Brutha! I still can't believe I actually just got it inspected, and will be getting plates for it sometime this week... it's almost surreal. :chin:
Hey Eric,

She's lookin' good. Yeah, i think a 5.5 backspace would be the sweet spot for a 10x15 Magnum 500 rim and teamed up with a 295x50/15 tire. Although i've never tried that setup. and put it to the test, i don't think you would get any rub tub or wheel arch lip issues at all. Therefore, you would not need to alter or modify anything.Can't wait to see your new back rims as well.

Greg.:)

Thanks for all your help with this. Looks like its going to be a problem finding 10s with a 6.5" offset over here. Would the tyres stick out past the wheel arch with 275x60x15s on a 15x10 Magnums with 5" offset. I'm hoping 275s might just tuck under the arch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help with this. Looks like its going to be a problem finding 10s with a 6.5" offset over here. Would the tyres stick out past the wheel arch with 275x60x15s on a 15x10 Magnums with 5" offset. I'm hoping 275s might just tuck under the arch.
If you're going with Magnums w/5", the 15x10s w/295s like Greg's should get you there... or is that even too far? (check out the pics of his '73 vert in the second link I originally posted on the 1st page)

Greg's looks great, but I think that's to far for here, I'll get pull over by the rozzers! That's why I was thinking of 275s. But looking around, it seems no one has them with 15X10s.
Technically only the tread of the tire has to be contained within the arch! But that is interpreted differently from rozzer to rozzer. I would just tell them that they are factory fitted wheels, they can never prove different, and because its classified as a historic car they will soon loose interest ;)

I have 33" x 12.5 tyres which stick out of my Wranglers arches by 3" and I have never had an issue with the old bill, but I must admit that it would need a bit more explaining on my part :p

The ones on Gregs look like they would be fine, but an overhead shot would be good to make sure

I'm using 15x8 with 4.5 back spacing and 275x60x15 tires. It could use another 3/8-1/2 inch back spacing but everything clears easily. It's just the tire is not perfectly centered in the wheel house. All off the shelf 15x8 Magnums I could find at the time had 4.5 back spacing. I believe that is because the Boss 302 used 15x8 on the rear and had 4.5 back spacing. Just a theory. Stockton Wheel in CA. can make just about anything you want, and can pay for. stocktonwheel.com  Here are pictures of the fitment on my car. Let us know what you do.  Chuck

EDIT: I have no idea why the pictures are rotated, or how to fix it, sorry.

ADMIN EDIT BOSS1RAY - I rotated pics.

Chuck tire 3.JPG

Chuck tire 2.JPG

Chuck tire 1.JPG

Hi again Mark,

Just a quick update to help make up your mind. You do have real options here as to which way you decide to go. If i'm correct here, what you are trying to chase here is a certain look for your wheels on the back of your Vert. By that i mean, you like, and want to end up getting wheels that look very fat and wide, but from a practical sense, don't cause any rubbing issues, and don't cause any legal issues with your police laws over in England. Is that correct?

My advice firstly, would be to look well into the road laws in your country to find out exactly what you can or can't do regards the maximum width of rim and rubber you can put on your Vert's rear end. That makes perfect sense to know where you stand before you go out and spend big money on a wheels upgrade, only to discover that what you've bought is not street legal. If you find out that the way you want to end up going is street legal, then happy days, you can go ahead and upgrade with confidence.

That then leaves the choosing of the rim and tyre package to work out. Much good and factual advice has been given to you already on this thread. Again i say, that if you are chasing the big fat, wide look for the rear end, then a 10x15 Magnum teamed up with a 295/50 x15 tyre will fit the bill well, and look great. If you are looking at buying a 275/60 x15 tyres instead, then that will cause you to rethink the width of rim you will need to team that tyre up with.(see the spec charts i put in below for both Mastercraft and B F Goodrich tyres.) (spelling: US- Tire / Australia -Tyre)

Lastly, you don't want any rubbing issues of course. The advice given so far on this thread shows that running a 295/50 tyre on a 10x15 Magnum is tricky for getting rub issues. What is important to avoid that, is choosing the right back spacing for the rim.Thanks Jeff for providing a contact for a company that sells custom made back space widths for Magnum 500 rims. That is a great option, because the choice of back space is crucial to how potential rub problems will play out, and what body mods you will need to carry out, if any. With the 10x15 Magnum rim, examples and end results have been given by Forum members with different back spacings. Mike with a 6 1/2 inch back space, Greg with a 5 inch back space, Eric with a 4 1/2 back space etc. I said before, that i would love to try a 5 1/2 back space rim to see if that would improve on what i have already on my '73 Vert. But that is an unknown quantity.

So i think that the specs and end results information given on this thread so far should really help you decide which way you want to go. Speaking for myself, my setup is street legal, and the tyres don't protrude out from the wheel arch lips at all. I did not do any body modifications at all. My setup works well for me. Going down to a 275/60 tyre will mean choosing a less wide rim. In going that way for example, and choosing a correct back space as well, will deliver zero rub issues for you, but you won't enjoy the same big,fat,wide,deep front dish look that the 295/50 with the 10x15 Magnums delivers. The choice is yours.;)

Late note: Also be aware that choosing 245/60 tyres for the front and 295/50 tyres for the rear, gives you a close overall diameter of around 26 inches matched. That's another bonus in going that combo way.

References: (click on images to expand)

Specifications for B F Goodrich T/A Radials and Mastercraft Avenger Radials.

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.02.25_09h33m12s_002_.png

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.02.25_09h26m06s_001_.png

Hope all that helps you Mark.

Greg:)

Hi again Mark,

Just a quick update to help make up your mind. You do have real options here as to which way you decide to go. If i'm correct here, what you are trying to chase here is a certain look for your wheels on the back of your Vert. By that i mean, you like, and want to end up getting wheels that look very fat and wide, but from a practical sense, don't cause any rubbing issues, and don't cause any legal issues with your police laws over in England. Is that correct?

My advice firstly, would be to look well into the road laws in your country to find out exactly what you can or can't do regards the maximum width of rim and rubber you can put on your Vert's rear end. That makes perfect sense to know where you stand before you go out and spend big money on a wheels upgrade, only to discover that what you've bought is not street legal. If you find out that the way you want to end up going is street legal, then happy days, you can go ahead and upgrade with confidence.

That then leaves the choosing of the rim and tyre package to work out. Much good and factual advice has been given to you already on this thread. Again i say, that if you are chasing the big fat, wide look for the rear end, then a 10x15 Magnum teamed up with a 295/50 x15 tyre will fit the bill well, and look great. If you are looking at buying a 275/60 x15 tyres instead, then that will cause you to rethink the width of rim you will need to team that tyre up with.(see the spec charts i put in below for both Mastercraft and B F Goodrich tyres.) (spelling: US- Tire / Australia -Tyre)

Lastly, you don't want any rubbing issues of course. The advice given so far on this thread shows that running a 295/50 tyre on a 10x15 Magnum is tricky for getting rub issues. What is important to avoid that, is choosing the right back spacing for the rim.Thanks Jeff for providing a contact for a company that sells custom made back space widths for Magnum 500 rims. That is a great option, because the choice of back space is crucial to how potential rub problems will play out, and what body mods you will need to carry out, if any. With the 10x15 Magnum rim, examples and end results have been given by Forum members with different back spacings. Mike with a 6 1/2 inch back space, Greg with a 5 inch back space, Eric with a 4 1/2 back space etc. I said before, that i would love to try a 5 1/2 back space rim to see if that would improve on what i have already on my '73 Vert. But that is an unknown quantity.

So i think that the specs and end results information given on this thread so far should really help you decide which way you want to go. Speaking for myself, my setup is street legal, and the tyres don't protrude out from the wheel arch lips at all. I did not do any body modifications at all. My setup works well for me. Going down to a 275/60 tyre will mean choosing a less wide rim. In going that way for example, and choosing a correct back space as well, will deliver zero rub issues for you, but you won't enjoy the same big,fat,wide,deep front dish look that the 295/50 with the 10x15 Magnums delivers. The choice is yours.;)

Late note: Also be aware that choosing 245/60 tyres for the front and 295/50 tyres for the rear, gives you a close overall diameter of around 26 inches matched. That's another bonus in going that combo way.

References: (click on images to expand)

Specifications for B F Goodrich T/A Radials and Mastercraft Avenger Radials.

Hope all that helps you Mark.

Greg:)

I should be able to report back in the month or two what the setup you are thinking of will look like. I've been going back and forth in my mind between the 4.5-5 leaf springs to go with the 15X10 combo. I'll make sure I get the 5.5" backspacing. I'll probably go the 15x7 up front with the tire sizes you suggested. I just want to make sure the car is slightly raised in the rear vs the front.

Hi Chris,

Hey, that's great news. Please get back to us and let us know how you got along with the 5.5 back spacing. Also, if you don't mind my opinion, if you're chasin' the jacked back look, i reakon the five leaf springs are the go, and i'd put 8x15's on the front. That's just me.:)

Thanks,

Great summary Greg. Been on the phone to the suppliers of Magnums and BFGs here and they strangely recommend 275s with 15x10s. They say the 275 is a taller tyre than the 295, the back end will be more jacked up, which sounds interesting, love that 70s street rod look. 245s on 15x8s for the front is a good idea. Need to have a long hard think...

Great summary Greg. Been on the phone to the suppliers of Magnums and BFGs here and they strangely recommend 275s with 15x10s. They say the 275 is a taller tyre than the 295, the back end will be more jacked up, which sounds interesting, love that 70s street rod look. 245s on 15x8s for the front is a good idea. Need to have a long hard think...
The 275 is going to be a '60' series tire, whereas the 295 will be '50' series tire. What that means is that the 275 will be narrower tread width (275mm) with 60% of the tread width for the 'sidewall aspect ratio' (60% of 275 is 165mm vs. 50% of 295mm is 147.5mm).

A quick read on a tire goes like this: (tire type)(tread width)/(aspect ratio)(speed rating)-(rim diameter) - hence the following: P275/60R-15 = Passenger tire, 275mm wide/165mm sidewall, non-speed rated on 15" rims. Google can fill in the blanks.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. The 275 narrower tread width was what I was wanting. Guess there won't be much tyre bulge with 15x10 magnums, as they are wider.

When / If you bite the bullet Mark, I may be interested in your old wheels/tyres :)
I'd probably loose the fronts 235 tyres and 15x7 rims and rear 255 tyres.

Mark,

Strange how your wheel man in England has AOK'd 275/60 tyres on a 10x15 rim. Be careful and be warned. This practice is not recommended by the tyre companies that make these tyres, and secondly i myself have put 275 tyres on a 10x15 rim and driven around on them for a few months. They look stupid because the sidewalls are splayed out too much to fit on the rims. Remember too, that the 275 tyres have an overall diameter of 28 inches. 245's have a dia of 26.5. 275's are a tall profile tyre. Your back will be jacked if you go that way.:p BTW - Have you got five leaf springs on your Vert now?

You could always wait for Chris to get his 10x15's with a 5.5 back space and see how he gets on. That could be the ultimate way to go for you.

In the meantime, bar up over these little numbers!:D:D:D Edit: You're looking at original factory paint in top condition there.

WP_20130804_008.jpgWP_20130804_005.jpgWP_20130804_006.jpgWP_20130804_010.jpgWP_20130804_007.jpgWP_20130804_002.jpg

Ooohhh, i'm getting a little moist in the down stairs department myself after looking at those.rofl

275's on 10 inch rims look fine and function fine too. I think if we followed manufacturers specifications our cars wouldn't have wheels wider than 7 inches. And they have the added bonus (in my humble opinion anyway) of filling out the gap between the tyre and the guard perfectly

Back