10X15s on the rear?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great summary Greg. Been on the phone to the suppliers of Magnums and BFGs here and they strangely recommend 275s with 15x10s. They say the 275 is a taller tyre than the 295, the back end will be more jacked up, which sounds interesting, love that 70s street rod look. 245s on 15x8s for the front is a good idea. Need to have a long hard think...
Here's my car sitting on 275/60-15's on the rear and 205/70-14's on the front.

New #42-437 4 leaf, springs on the rear.

Capacity 655

Rate 114

2 1/2"

Tires were from the previous owner. When I replace (when needed) they, of course, will be the same brand and the rears will absolutely be a series which nets me this 28" height at the rear. To me, IMO, the rear height/rake is PERFECT. The margin space around the rear tire is congruent (although I do like the tucked in Chip Foose look, just don't have the CF budget!)

This setup eliminates the saggy ass stock look but doesn't go so far as too be reminiscent of the extended shackle/Gabriel HiJacker Air Shock look from the late 70's into the 80's.rofl

I have obsessed with my rear tire width research with great data from this site, compiled it and stowed it away till I burn up these tires...no hurry. I will use 6.25 " back space on my new rear rims whatever kind they end up being. If you look at all the info on this site, not just on this thread, sift it, and do a little geometry, 6.25" is the sweet spot. If any alteration is needed, it will be accomplished with a rubber dead shot mallet. Most likely, at this point, rear tire selection: Nitto NT 555R Drag Radial. 325/50 R15---27.8" tall X 12.8" fat boys.(with 5/8" less backspacing than Jeff73Mach1's latest results) For me, case closed.

Absolutely, couldn't have come to my conclusion without the help of

Mister4x4

Austinvert

4mm

Jeff73Mach1

MeZapu

With a panel like that you have some real good data to deduce your own conclusion. Their input was the "Given" in the geometry equation, 6.25" is my answer.

20151024_144857.jpg

20151024_145143 - Copy.jpg

20151024_145200 - Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

Strange how your wheel man in England has AOK'd 275/60 tyres on a 10x15 rim. Be careful and be warned. This practice is not recommended by the tyre companies that make these tyres, and secondly i myself have put 275 tyres on a 10x15 rim and driven around on them for a few months. They look stupid because the sidewalls are splayed out too much to fit on the rims. Remember too, that the 275 tyres have an overall diameter of 28 inches. 245's have a dia of 26.5. 275's are a tall profile tyre. Your back will be jacked if you go that way.:p BTW - Have you got five leaf springs on your Vert now?

You could always wait for Chris to get his 10x15's with a 5.5 back space and see how he gets on. That could be the ultimate way to go for you.

In the meantime, bar up over these little numbers!:D:D:D Edit: You're looking at original factory paint in top condition there.

Ooohhh, i'm getting a little moist in the down stairs department myself after looking at those.rofl

Greg.:)
Your 5th pic down is what I'm going for with about a .5" more inside. This is why I agree that the 5.5 bs should be about perfect for me.

Thanks for the input Eric and Brett,

One thing i do know, at the end of the day, is, that on this Forum - Whatever floats your boat is pretty much OK.:whistling:

SO, best of luck with whatever Mark decides he wants to come up with for himself, and i hope he will be happy with his final outcome.:)

Hey Chris, let us know how you got on with that 5.5 back spacing!

I'm done and outta here with this thread.:thankyouyellow:

Mark,

Strange how your wheel man in England has AOK'd 275/60 tyres on a 10x15 rim. Be careful and be warned. This practice is not recommended by the tyre companies that make these tyres, and secondly i myself have put 275 tyres on a 10x15 rim and driven around on them for a few months. They look stupid because the sidewalls are splayed out too much to fit on the rims. Remember too, that the 275 tyres have an overall diameter of 28 inches. 245's have a dia of 26.5. 275's are a tall profile tyre. Your back will be jacked if you go that way.:p BTW - Have you got five leaf springs on your Vert now?

You could always wait for Chris to get his 10x15's with a 5.5 back space and see how he gets on. That could be the ultimate way to go for you.

In the meantime, bar up over these little numbers!:D:D:D Edit: You're looking at original factory paint in top condition there.

Ooohhh, i'm getting a little moist in the down stairs department myself after looking at those.rofl

Greg, brutha, moist in the downstairs department??? Did you sh*t yourself? lollerz

I've buying 15X8 Magnums for the front of my car, however I've just read this on CJ Pony parts. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks for any comments you may have.

"The 15" x 8" wheel (Magnum) is not recommended for use on the front of 1965-1973 Mustangs and on the rear of 1965-1966 Mustangs, as they do not have enough clearance from the factory for a 8" wheel without extensive modifications."

http://www.cjponyparts.com/wheel-vintiques-wheel-15x8-magnum-500-1965-1973/p/W13-V/

Friend of mine had 8 inch wide Magnums on the front with no problems. Could be those have a particular backspace that would cause problems but I can't really think of how.

Could be that they want to play it safe.

front 8x15 BS4.5 with 215/65R15

rear 10x15 BS3.75 with 255/60R15

rear flares are rolled.

newwheels.jpg

Wow - I never came back to this... thanks for digging this up. Here's mine with the 295s on the new 15x10s w/5.25" backspacing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

They do tuck in better, but they're not as 'deep dish' as they used to be:

attachment.php

Here's the difference an inch of backspacing makes:

Old

attachment.php

New

attachment.php

Old

attachment.php

New

attachment.php

Hope this helps!

Nicely tucked in! Does it rub at all? Ryan.

Thanks Guys! ::thumb::

Nope - so far, so good. I regularly hit the dip in the road that used to cause me concern around 10-15mph at around 30mph now (speed limit) and not a sound to be heard.

I admit that I miss the super-deep look of the old rims, but I'll take the peace of mind instead. :whistling:

That looks smart tucked in!

Was this about how deep they were before?

MeyersManx076a.jpg
Yes - exactly that deep. That's what I miss... but, oh well.

Mister 4x4
You'll need to update your signature picture.
I guess I do. But, I need to get some decent pics with the hood down. Hopefully, after my back's in better shape, I'll be able to get it out and get some better pics. Then, I'll update. I'm keeping the 'old Mach 1' background, though - gotta stay true to its roots, after all. ;)

Yes, without a problem! 15 X 10 on the rear and 295/50/15 with 4.5 backspacing and 15 X 8 on the front with either 235/60/15 or even 245/50/15 with the same backspacing. I use 1" longer shackles supported by air shocks to give it the right stance.

IMG_0709.JPG

Back