1971 & 1972 Mach 1's running incorrect front bumpers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like many of you I have a chrome bumper on my 72 Mach1, right now that is. I’ve refinished the original urethane one twice and after a year or two it started to look like crap. The last time I thought I got it right and on the first hot sunny day the paint started to bubble. I showed it to my pair expert and he thinks I got moisture between the flex primer and the color coat. Anyway on went the chrome until I get time to strip and refinish it again. 

Since I was told the the UR bumper is so heavy I am seriously consider a chrome bumper. Is the bracket the same as the UR, or do you need another bracket?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I was told the the UR bumper is so heavy I am seriously consider a chrome bumper. Is the bracket the same as the UR, or do you need another bracket?
Tony, the '73 urethane bumper is about 90lbs.

The 71-72 urethane unit is only a shade heavier than the chrome. Brackets and reinforcement panel are the same. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I will also go chrome when I move onto the front of the car work.  That will allow me to slowly work on the urethane bumper and swap out later.  Needed a new rear bumper so just bought the package, front and back, pretty inexpensive actually. 

I've Googled "71 Mach 1 Mustang Images" , on the computer, and have found that almost all fixed up today have been retrofitted with Magnum 500 rims, and you KNOW, like mine, most had WSW tires and hubcap/beauty ring combos when delivered. I'd guess this is the most often changed item that owners do, exceeding the stripes and wing issue.

my car is just a humble sportsroof car. It had chrome side molding, chrome hood accents, chrome head light trim and chrome front bumper.  Its in the paint booth now getting painted and I had them weld closed all the body side molding holes. Im going to dress it out as a mach 1 when its finished,  but it will still have all the chrome on the front.  I thought about replacing it all with painted parts but I'm just going to keep it chrome.  Eventually I'm going to put new bumpers on it front and back.  I kind of like the look, though I wish I could have another set to have them paint so I could see it both ways.

You know how, when someone cuts you off, or does something dangerous near your car, you just wish you had diesel train horns so you could really get their attention? I've been pondering placing Cessna landing light bulbs (2) in my lower valence, just to burn the point home to asshole drivers. Of course, they're 24 volts, and operate awfully hot, and likely illegal, and, and, and...

Not to get to far of topic ..I used to run aircraft landing lights in place of the high beams on my 69 Mach lol!  It made my point on occasion with those same drivers and were very handy driving well above the posted speed limit in the dark on rural highways. 

Thought I would throw this out there relative to the Side Stripes on Mach 1's and Verts since I know it is a pet peeve of Ray's...

Just using 1972 as an example according to the Ford records...

6,401 convertibles produced and 136 came with side stripes...that's 2 out of every 100 cars!

43,297 Fastbacks produced and 15,517 came with side stripes...that's approximately every third car!

How about Magnums in 1972...

296 convertibles got them or roughly 4 out of 100 cars.

6,292 fastbacks got them or about 15 out of 100 cars.

Merry Christmas

Jeff
Luckily my convertible came with the 72 Decor Group and then optioned with the side stripes.  It also came with Magnums.  I really enjoy the rarity of the car and I am working to bring it back to as original as possible. 

Ray

Back