1971 1973 mustang muffler top hat mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

The standard muffler had top hats to mount the mufflers. What have you done to work around this? Did you make your own? What are the dimensions?

881bc794dfccacd0adc239ede07237fa.jpg

Thanks

Mustang7173

Someone makes an adapter clamp for that situation. I can’t find a pic, or the manufacturer, however it was in one of the single to dual exhaust discussions in the past. The bottom portion of the muffler clamp is ‘exaggerated’ and has a flat piece of metal coming up on both sides that you can bolt the stock hanger to.

I bought the muffler mounting points from Scott Fuller Exhaust and welded them to the mufflers. They do not appears on his site, you need to contact him directly to get them. Chuck

Hello C9zx,

Much appreciated on the info! I will reach out them.

Thanks

Mustang7173

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry I posted a link to the hanger instead of the bracket your are looking for. Mustangs Unlimited used to sell them. I posted a link to them in this old thread but the link no longer works. https://www.7173mustangs.com/showthread.php?tid=24357&pid=244723&highlight=muffler#pid244723

I took a quick look on their site but I don't see them.

You might try calling them if you strike out on Chuck's source.

Ha, oops.

I made a two pieces bent like a flanged ‘U’ with the hole in the middle with a nut welded into it, bolted the hanger to it and welded them onto the mufflers in what looked like a good spot.

I do not have any pics or measurements, sorry.

Pretty straightforward once you get a piece bent up...

Last edited by a moderator:
These measurements are off the mufflers I ordered thru OMS. Looks to be like a cube - 1" all over and where the side tabs are welded on 1/2". And 1/8" thick.

Back