More 1973 Mustang Engine Mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWally

Reaction score
My Car
1969 Grande'
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1972 Sprint Fastback
While looking for the captured-style engine mounts for my 1973 351C Fastback, I came across these 1973 Torino / Ranchero / Failane engine mounts that appear to be very similar to the 1973 Mustang's. Can anyone comment on whether they will interchange? Thank you in advance. JW

Attachments

• 73 Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane mounts.JPG
    73 Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane mounts.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
While looking for the captured-style engine mounts for my 1973 351C Fastback, I came across these 1973 Torino / Ranchero / Failane engine mounts that appear to be very similar to the 1973 Mustang's. Can anyone comment on whether they will interchange? Thank you in advance. JW
I'm looking too JW. See my comment in this thread here if you haven't seen it:

"Trying to source these mounts from Australia without much luck. Having to send them for refurb to and from the USA is a rigmarole.
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/73-motor-mounts.27937/page-2#post-436040
Is there anyone who makes the clam shell/captive 'one-year-only' mount?"

i had the same issue with the red 73 finding the mounts without throwing my wallet away... Sooo i changed up and went totally '71,'72 mounts. fit great and if a problem ever came up the local auto parts will have them.

What's the story on the prothane ones? I have some in a box here. They look pretty similar to my factory ford mounts, not exact. Summit says they fit 1973 with a 351C. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-6-503-BL

I figured it wouldn't be too hard to do a bit of welding and drilling on them if the holes needed moved around a bit.

JP, if you still have your old 1973 motor mounts you can convert the Ranchero to work...

here is my old write up
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/73-motor-mounts.39490/#post-397800post number 6

a couple post later is the correct pins if you can find them, but bolts work great.
post number 8

JP, if you still have your old 1973 motor mounts you can convert the Ranchero to work...

here is my old write up
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/73-motor-mounts.39490/#post-397800post number 6

a couple post later is the correct pins if you can find them, but bolts work great.
post number 8
What size are the rivet heads? There are a number of custom rivet smashing and forming tools in the AK-47 builders world. Some of them go in a shop press. Some of them have big bolts you tighten with wrenches, for guys without a press. Some go in an air hammer.

One of the coolest ones I think is a set of jaws. They are designed for you to buy a set of harbor freight bolt cutters and replace the jaws and then you get this nice tool that can smash the rivet and form the correct shape on the head. Maybe that idea could be biggie sized for the motor mount rivets.

1689298804616.png

1689298846439.png

Prothane will fit with 2v exhaust manifolds and modified 71-72 frame mounts only.
What is it that keeps them from working? The engine is currently out of one of my 73s. The engine mounts that were in it were the clamshell ones with ford part numbers on the back.

I'm able to set the prothane mounts down on the frame mounts and the bolt holes line up. I haven't measured to see if the other holes end up in the same position for the motor to bolt to them.

The hole centers in the Prothane mounts match the 71-72 motor mount hole centers. They will bolt to the block & 71-72 motor mounts. However the body of the motor mount will interfere with the 4v exhaust manifolds. 73 frame mounts will also not work.

Thanks all for your comments / advice on the 73 Mounts. I guess I'll keep searching for some OEM units. After reading Q1SVT's interesting use of the Torino/Ranchero mounts, I understand that using two of the RH Torino/ Ranchero mounts work but I am unclear on what shimming is still necessary.
Can you elaborate more Q1SVT? Thanks....

JPWally, if you use the Torino/Ranchero motor mounts the lower bracket [part stamped #662] raps around the T/R cross member, and it is wider than the mustang / Cougar riser block. So you need to shim the gaps... and a longer mount bolt.

If you have OEM Mustang / Cougar 1973 motor mounts drill out the rivets and use the lower 1973 M/C OEM bracket [part # 665] and reassemble with the rest of the new T/R motor mount parts... Use grade 8 bolts or rivers

M/C on mount left, T/R mount on right, T/R is about 1/4" wider
Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 6.30.30 PM.png

M/C raiser mount left, T/R mount on right, T/R is about 1/4" wider

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 6.30.46 PM.png

Q1SVT ------ Got it. I see how a bit of shimming is required. But now why would someone separate a perfectly good 1973 Mustang engine mount apart to combine it with a Torino Mount? Thanks.

Q1SVT ------ Got it. I see how a bit of shimming is required. But now why would someone separate a perfectly good 1973 Mustang engine mount apart to combine it with a Torino Mount? Thanks.
IF someone has a good set of 1973 Cougar/Mustang motor mounts, they wouldn't...

If they are bad, some people want to stay original and use the T/R 'C' that includes the molded rubber, and then attach the original clam shell with rivets.

Same is true for lower A-arms, keep the arm and replace the lower ball joints and bushings.

All depends on how original or limited addition the vehicle is.

You will also need to trim the tab off the 71-72 frame mounts.
Is there any trick to this - or just take them off level with the face? Cheers George

Is there any trick to this - or just take them off level with the face? Cheers George
The tab does not seem to foul the mount in any way?

Attachments

• Tab on 71-72 mount.jpg
    Tab on 71-72 mount.jpg
    912.7 KB · Views: 0
Back