1971 boss 1of 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think this one car might have been a "Mule" car, built as a feasibility study before any production decisions were made. Rather than scrap this one as it was a complete production car, it was decided to revert it back to a 351C Mach 1 and sell it. We'll never know for sure I guess.
Back when I was working at Canadian Fram/Allied Automotive, I worked on 2 different versions of the 89 Ford Thunderbird, developing the air induction systems. They were hand built and never intended for sale to anyone. Only one ended up as the production vehicle. These hand built Mules were valued at around a million a piece and were shipped to us under strict security and kept locked up in our workshop. no one but those working on the project could see these cars. Those were the days!
Building mules (mock-ups) was common place then and probably still is.

I have seen the car in person both at the 23' Boss Nationals and at 23' MCACN. If anyone was going to restore the car I regretfully have to agree Perkins was the right guy. As stated by the previous owner if he didn't sell the car to Bob and wanted to restore it he would have had to have bought the parts from Bob. Not sure how that would have played out in the final valuation. I also feel Bob will sell the car for the right number. It is his livelihood.

Purely my opinion, but I think ford was ready to roll production on continuing the Boss 302 in the new body style. Look at the 71 mass produced tire inflation sticker included the Boss 302 values. There were many parts also moving into the production environment specific to the 71 Boss 302. My opinion is that from a numbers perspective and racing movement away from some of the road coarse racing focus of the past, the Boss 351 rose to the top from a profit number. Just my thoughts.

This is truly a rare rare car with a great story. My understanding is there was also a blue/argent Boss 302 that has been lost to history. It may be gone if it went through the same conversion to Mach 1 and sold to the public or it may be hiding somewhere.

I am truly fascinated by the early designed oddball, limited production vehicles and “mules” from the 60’s and 70’s that led to a production model offered to the public. Obviously a version of that process still goes on today, but aided by CAD, high def graphic design and AI.

But back then, the thought process behind the research, design, fabrication, production, marketing and sales. And, add in the actual build and logistics of re-tooling between model years etc… those people involved were true craftsmen.

Sorry, I digress…. I agree the car is what it is, owned by who owns it, probably to sell in some future Mecum or BJ auction for a Brazilian dollars to some old dude with a 25 year old wife! 😎🙄😎

But, I’m glad I got to see it found, verified, restored and reborn to be shared to people like me.

Back