1971 Frank Cone GT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Kurt,

Try looking at it this way... there are collectors out there ready to spent $40K on one of our cars. That is a good thing in general. I saw an unrestored 1969 (I think) L88 vette sell for $800K on whats my car worth the other day. How crazy is that???

Two suckers got into a bidding war at Mecum on the Frank Conemobile. The result? A sale at $40,000.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=AU1214-198652

I'd give my two back teeth to find out who these fools are. They need to be parted of some more money.

-Kurt

Kurt,

Try looking at it this way... there are collectors out there ready to spent $40K on one of our cars. That is a good thing in general. I saw an unrestored 1969 (I think) L88 vette sell for $800K on whats my car worth the other day. How crazy is that???
Well, the point is moot - because it did not sell for $40k. I logged into Mecum Infonet today, and saw that it did not sell with a $28k high bid. I'll have to ask 72 R Code which car it was that brought that bid.

At any rate, I don't consider the brown FC/GT a valid example of what our cars are worth. Anything carrying non-standard documentation is likely to vary from the norm, and the FC/GT has fake Photoshopped documentation out the wazoo (though there's nothing much in that dealer package to differentiate it from any other '71 convertible).

As for normal convertibles - though I've noticed that CV sales are very strong, I've never seen anything short of an R-code squeeze past a selling price of $30k, much less $40k.

ConceptCarz's aggregation shows that convertibles have averaged $16,888, and that sounds more or less on target:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/default.aspx?carID=425&i=8

That's not to say that I'm against seeing the value of these cars increase, but I'd like to see buyers doing that for what the car is, not because they bought into some owner's idea of drawing up some Photoshopped papers to make a mundane dealer-added package appear to be worthy of Yenko status.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurt,

I'm with you on the BS that seller has been pushing out to artificially increase the supposed value of that car... He is downright dishonest. I'm really disappointed that someone at Mecum didn't call BS on that seller. I just logged into infonet, the 2014 Austin auction, lot F144, 71 Ford Mustang GT Convertible has the sold stamp on it for $40K. Is there some other place on their website to look?

Back