1971 J-code fastback 4 speed Rare Non Mach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like to have that one! First things I'd do would be remove side tape stripe and rear spoiler and probably the Magnums (unless car was ordered with them - (doubtful). :whistling:

Sadly, the way it looks now is just like 95% of the Mach 1 'clones' out there. :-/

Ray

Hmmm... I gotta wonder if that's factory Ram Air or just added on - the TuTone's all wrong, and where are the hood locks?

$30K's a LOT of money... for that. I'd need more information before making anything close to resembling a decision to buy, of course. What's been presented looks OK enough though. It could make someone a nice car... for the right price.

Because of the mods and questionable stuff as mentioned by Eric, I'd say there is some negotiating room.

But it IS either one of 9 429CJ J codes w/4 speed or one of 29 J code 429 SCJ cars with 4 speed...

Extremely rare and should be put back as original as possible (IMHO).

Ray

Agree with Boss1Ray. There are some items on the car we know are not correct and would (should) lead to some negotiating room. Would like to see a Marti report or least a VIN to verify if it is a true 429 car. If it's really a C or J 429 car, with respect to the low production numbers for a one year only car, it needs to be returned to original as possible. If this is not a rust queen under that nice red paint and the chassis actually is metal and not made up of old stop signs and bondo, then it looks to be a pretty good buy for the right price.

I did notice (as Pastel Blue probably has) the fan shroud has the normal "Torque Hole" in the left side!! :whistling:

Yep, saw that Secluff... I think it is a good price if it is what is advertised.

But, it may be a good price to me because I paid more for my car and then the money drain began...

If I was in the market, I would certainly be looking at this closely...

Hey the drugs are working I am not even talking to the guy. There will be a big crash on these cars in next two years my palm reader tells me.

David

Speaking of odd codes. Do you know what a 1968 W code is. I was talking to an old timer in the area yesterday and he says he has one.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey the drugs are working I am not even talking to the guy. There will be a big crash on these cars in next two years my palm reader tells me.

David

Speaking of odd codes. Do you know what a 1968 W code is. I was talking to an old timer in the area yesterday and he says he has one.

David
A little bit of research indicates the 'W' code is for a 427 Side oiler. Unfortunately the consensus is there were no mustangs produced with this engine (Except for one Shelby), but there were a number of 68 Cougars produced with the 'W' code.

David

David
A little bit of research indicates the 'W' code is for a 427 Side oiler. Unfortunately the consensus is there were no mustangs produced with this engine (Except for one Shelby), but there were a number of 68 Cougars produced with the 'W' code.
I knew it was just thought I would perk up some interest. He says it is original and there was one in Spartanburg at Jerry Masons place back about 1996. His dad worked for Bud Moore and got some really strange cars.

I am going to go try and make a visit to him but have too much going right now to leave. He says he also has any big block top loader you need including for R codes and Boss. He is like me a long time hoarder hidden in the hills.

I got off topic of the thread sorry.

David

David, if you get a chance to visit the "Old Timers" hoard, please do. I would be very interested to hear what body the "W" code is in. Though rare, I have seen a couple of 68 GTE Cougars with the 427. One belongs to a friend who has an unbelievable stash of rare and "Sleeper" big block Ford's, but has also sworn me to secrecy about his location. The 68 427 was listed for Torino and Mustang in the parts catalog but have never seen any. My 68 Mustang sales brochure also lists the 390 horse 427 (along with the Tunnel Port 302). The owners son at the local Ford dealer claims to have had one through a special order due to their connections with the "Right" people in the Charlotte DSO office. While still in high school and on the lot car shopping (with my part time after school job-mostly looking) I remember a Lime Gold 68 GT with 427 emblems on the hood scoop. Years later when I was employed at that same dealer, I tried to research that vehicle. Unfortunately by the time I arrived there (late 75) the sales records from 1970 back had been purged. :mad: The son claims it was a genuine "W" car but there is no paper work to prove it. Another strange oddity is the 1969 Mustang part number on the 427 hood scoop emblem. So if the opportunity arises, please make a research trip. You don't have to buy anything!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a Shelby in Myrtle Beach back in 1985 that the guy said was a W Code. I will try to find the pics. I was only 11 at the time. Dad took pics. Same trip my cousins neighbor near Winston Salem had an X Code 68 Fastback.

I purchased a 68 Torino GT fastback with an S code 390 many years ago.

It is serial number 00054 and was built in August of 1967.

It has a transportation service DSO and was sold as new by a dealer in Florida in 1970.

When we tore into it everything seemed to be original and untouched even the engine looked to be original to the car. Except the engine was a 427 not a 390.

All the casting numbers and dates matched to a May or June built 427 and to much was correct for it to be a later engine swap.

I still have the car. Marti report shows it as a S code 390. I have always wondered about the history behind this car.

I do know that some one, some where, thinks that the 390 in his Torino was one hell of an engine.

Paul of MO

I purchased a 68 Torino GT fastback with an S code 390 many years ago.

It is serial number 00054 and was built in August of 1967.

It has a transportation service DSO and was sold as new by a dealer in Florida in 1970.

When we tore into it everything seemed to be original and untouched even the engine looked to be original to the car. Except the engine was a 427 not a 390.

All the casting numbers and dates matched to a May or June built 427 and to much was correct for it to be a later engine swap.

I still have the car. Marti report shows it as a S code 390. I have always wondered about the history behind this car.

I do know that some one, some where, thinks that the 390 in his Torino was one hell of an engine.

Paul of MO
kinda sounds like it was a magazine test car that was setup to be a ringer::thumb::

David, if you get to chance to visit the "Old Timers" hoard, please do. I would be very interested to hear what body the "W" code is in. Though rare, I have seen a couple of 68 GTE Cougars with the 427. One belongs to a friend who has an unbelievable stash of rare and "Sleeper" big block Ford's, but has also sworn me to secrecy about his location. The 68 427 was listed for Torino and Mustang in the parts catalog but have never seen any. My 68 Mustang sales brochure also lists the 390 horse 427 (along with the Tunnel Port 302). The owners son at the local Ford dealer claims to have had one through a special order due to their connections with the "Right" people in the Charlotte DSO office. While still in high school and on the lot car shopping (with my part time after school job-mostly looking) I remember a Lime Gold 68 GT with 427 emblems on the hood scoop. Years later when I was employed at that same dealer, I tried to research that vehicle. Unfortunately by the time I arrived there (late 75) the sales records from 1970 back had been purged. :mad: The son claims it was a genuine "W" car but there is no paper work to prove it. Another strange oddity is the 1969 Mustang part number on the 427 hood scoop emblem. So if the opportunity arises, please make a research trip. You don't have to buy anything!!!
It is in a 68 Mach 1. I am sure Jerry Mason has one. I was invited to show a car at the BMW plant for the 100 year anniversary car in about 1993. They picked cars from each year one each. You submitted pictures of your car and they sent you a letter if you were chosen. I was picked for the 1950 year with a Ford Custom 2 door with 16,000 original miles in un restored condition. They lined the cars up in order by year so you could go down the line and see each year model. There was a 67 or 68 Mach 1 with 427 in the show. I think it was Mason's car but cannot remember. I took some pictures back then but they are buried in the hoard somewhere.

They do exist but who knows how many.

David

It must have been just a fastback then. I wish I had the pictures on hand. Jerry Mason has Thunderbolt, NOS 427 engines and a building with nothing but 427 cars in it. Since his dad worked with Bud Moore they picked up lots of rare stuff for little money. He had one of the King Cobra Torinos the only one with the bubbled rear window. He tried to sell to me for either $2500 or $3500 back in the 80's.

They build movie cars did some of the Fast and Furious and the Days of Thunder cars. He is in Spartanburg, S.C.. He also had a GT-350 R model.

He is really difficult to deal with the last thing I bought from him was a rear for my sons 20th. Ann..

David

Back