• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The argument has been going on for years. Technically, I guess the best description is "Ford's Big Small Block" or something like that.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-are-the-351c-big-block-engines

It shares many characteristics of the FE/FT and MEL engines it was designed to replace (considered big blocks), which had 332 and 352 ci sizes as well. Kind of muddies the waters, eh?

If deck height alone determines if it's a big or small block, then I guess it's a small block. Never mind that the heads are as big or bigger than most 'big block' engines.

It's all confusing... I'm no expert... so I'll retract that comment. :whistling:

That car's still a hot mess, though. :cool:
I know, I'm just busting your balls. ::thumb::

I look at it this way, we all know a 460 is a big block. You cant bolt a Cleveland up to the same tranny as a 460, 429, ect.

There was a 1971 mach with manual transmission on ebay but some nerd bought it before I could hit "buy it now". It was $16k and it needed a little work but I would've done it. SO sad literally want to cry

Here's a 72. Be patient and get exactly what ya want. Took me 3 months at least.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/atlanta/1972/ford/mustang-S67.html
Wow, that poor car is a hot mess. Appears to be ready for Baja too with those rear springs.
Another classic example of a car lot not knowing what they have, not seeking correct information, and wanting more than it's worth. The write-up alone is full of errors: the 351 Cleveland is not a small block, the rear axle is a 9" (not an 8"), and those are not Cragars, to name a few. I personally don't care for those red dust shields up front, or the red drums out back... but easy enough to fix.

Most of the mistakes are easily fixed. For instance, the body-colored valances can be painted black. The interior oddities can be fixed/restored with little effort (the sail panels are coming down, etc.). The Ram Air was obviously added afterward, but they ruined the chance of quickly and cheaply making it right - they could've just gotten a factory hood lock kit, but went with aftermarket pins instead - ruining the hood. No door/courtesy light pins? And what the Heck is up with the driver door? It looks like hammered dog snot around the trailing edge/latch area (with new paint, of course).

There are some issues with the driver side cowl at the very least. The fresh air cable is missing, which means the vent/cable has rusted, so they removed it. The only way that gets rusty is by having moisture accumulation (ask me how I know).

It looks like a fairly solid car, otherwise. Not a $26K car, though... more like an $18-19K car to me.
And what's with that 1968 Cougar door tag? Didn't all Mach 1's have deluxe interior?

Wow, that poor car is a hot mess. Appears to be ready for Baja too with those rear springs.
Another classic example of a car lot not knowing what they have, not seeking correct information, and wanting more than it's worth. The write-up alone is full of errors: the 351 Cleveland is not a small block, the rear axle is a 9" (not an 8"), and those are not Cragars, to name a few. I personally don't care for those red dust shields up front, or the red drums out back... but easy enough to fix.

Most of the mistakes are easily fixed. For instance, the body-colored valances can be painted black. The interior oddities can be fixed/restored with little effort (the sail panels are coming down, etc.). The Ram Air was obviously added afterward, but they ruined the chance of quickly and cheaply making it right - they could've just gotten a factory hood lock kit, but went with aftermarket pins instead - ruining the hood. No door/courtesy light pins? And what the Heck is up with the driver door? It looks like hammered dog snot around the trailing edge/latch area (with new paint, of course).

There are some issues with the driver side cowl at the very least. The fresh air cable is missing, which means the vent/cable has rusted, so they removed it. The only way that gets rusty is by having moisture accumulation (ask me how I know).

It looks like a fairly solid car, otherwise. Not a $26K car, though... more like an $18-19K car to me.
And what's with that 1968 Cougar door tag? Didn't all Mach 1's have deluxe interior?
71-73 Mach 1's came with standard interior

They could be ordered with optional Mach 1 sports interior

A little day dreaming on the sellers part. The door tag is from a 68 Cougar standard hardtop. Guess they figured no one would notice. Wouldn't keep me from buying one if so equipped, but a 4 speed was not a production installed option on the "H" 351.

Grande was the only model that had the Deluxe interior as standard. The Mach1 Sports Interior was an option on the Mach1 from 71-73.

Would a 5 sp manual be even better? Lower RapM on the freeway equals better fuel economy and less wear and tear on your engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuel economy is for garbage cars like kia souls, and I like stock as a rock

A little day dreaming on the sellers part. The door tag is from a 68 Cougar standard hardtop. Guess they figured no one would notice. Wouldn't keep me from buying one if so equipped, but a 4 speed was not a production installed option on the "H" 351.

Grandé was the only model that had the Deluxe interior as standard. The Mach1 Sports Interior was an option on the Mach1 from 71-73.
"Grandé was the only model that had the Deluxe interior as standard. "

Correct for 1971 but for 72 &73 the convertible was upgraded and got deluxe interior as standard. All years of Grandes got deluxe interior.

Ray

Tomorrow will be discussing a sale with a guy for a M code 1971 mach with 4 speed manual transmission. Paint job has flaws regarding the stripes but I can fix that

Bought the 1971 M code for $16k, just having it shipped here now

s-l500.jpg

Notice the stripes are not complete under each light on each side, No radio, no RAM air, one of the small gauges is broken, I prefer stock steering wheel, I can fix all those easy though

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! ::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::

Ain't nothin' wrong with a pewter & black Mach 1. :whistling:

Congratulations!:cool:

Back