1972 351C Q code won't start

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventhorizon

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code with factory ram air
Hi, I just had some work done, now car won't start.  I had the timing gears and chain replaced the 

Backup light switch replaced, the distributor be built and the carb rebuilt. 

They had it running to check it out, they started it and drove it off the carrier and into

The garage.  It sat for a couple weeks and now it won't start, it turns over okay but won't

Start, I am not knowledgeable about electrical and ignition systems.

Any ideas, maybe a list of things to check starting with the most likely

Culprit would help a lot.

Thanks all

Thomas Hanson

What carb is on it? Is it getting fuel? Do you have a timing light to see if you ar getting spark? You need both fuel and spark for fire. That is where I would start. If you are getting both then you have to look at is the timing correct.

If you are not getting fuel check fuel pump, filter, is there fuel in the bowls?

If you're not getting spark check you are getting voltage to the coil then start checking the resistance on the plug wires.

When they backed it off the truck was it running good?

When mine sits a while the fuel evaporates and simply cranking the engine doesn't produce enough fuel pressure to prime the bowls.

Try shooting a bit of starter fluid into the air cleaner. A good two second burst should do it. If the car starts and runs for a few seconds then you know the problem is fuel related. If it is like mine the few seconds of running is enough to get fuel into the bowls.

If it doesn't start and run of a few seconds then you probably have an ignition issue.

Just a note. I've seen shops rebuild carbs and then leave a bunch of crap in the tank or lines and it clogs up the filter or the jets in the freshly rebuilt carb.

Back