1972 mach 1 Front suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtassin

Reaction score
My Car
1972 ford mustang Mach 1
I am currently getting ready to install front suspension on 72 Mach 1, 351 CJ. I would like some feed back on recommendations. I want good ride, control, near stock as possible, and of course resonably priced. You guys always have good info. Wouls appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Jimmy T.

Hey there! My 2 cents are gong to go to an actual stock configuration... If you are planning on a nice ride i dont see why not going to actual stock... I also believe it can be one of the cheapest solutions...

Hope it helps!

Stock suspension rebuild. Some 620 springs and a 1" swaybar should put you where you want to be.

URUYGUAN_FASTBACK and Tnfastbk are spot on. MeZapU is also correct to get better cornering-antisway. As usual, not a bad suggestion in the bunch depending on what your looking for (ride comfort, handling, looks) GOTTA LOVE THIS BUNCH!!

The shock absorbers are key. I do not yet have a recommendation on shocks. I am leaning toward an adjustable shock like the QA1 stocker stars or the KYB gas adjust. According to (though over simplified) Herb Adams' book "Chassis Engineering" the springs just hold the car up, the shocks and sway bars make it handle. I have also heard the rollerized front spring perches really help ride quality. Anything you can do to allow the suspension to move freely helps. If the suspension binds the shocks and sway bars cannot perform to their capabilities.

I've got poly bushings and 620# springs, new leafs out back. Ride quality is ok, handling could be slightly better. I removed the rear sway bar a while ago for some reason, may have been to accomodate the 295mm tires out back. I'm curious whether one of the units from Total Control would fit our cars with wide tires: http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/arrm.html

I am currently getting ready to install front suspension on 72 Mach 1, 351 CJ. I would like some feed back on recommendations. I want good ride, control, near stock as possible, and of course resonably priced. You guys always have good info. Wouls appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Jimmy T.
Let's talk numbers first..Whats your budget ?

I just bought kits from one of the mustang vendors, and went stock with all control arms, tie rods, drag link, pitman, steeringbox assembly. I put 1" lowering springs on the front, 1" lift springs on the back, and added a rear swaybar. While at it I replaced the front brake hoses with steel braided, new calipers and rotors on the front. It is all now tight, and as good as new, for 70's technology that is ;)

'70s tech was pretty great as far as machining quality was concerned. A lot of designs from that era remain in service today, aircraft being a good example.

In any case, I was just wondering whether anyone had run the Total Control rear sway bar kit, as it's roughly $250 and a lot nicer than the stock spaghetti stuff!

Back