1972 Mustang Coupe 302

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, the floor pan is a common area for attention/replacement on our cars, don't stress over it. The parts are easily available for that fix. I'd also suggest a simple turn signal flasher AND four way flasher controller replacement; often times it will fix stubborn turn signal and brake light issues (not sure why probably something to do with Black holes and distant galaxies). Recently I had a Right turn signal that would not operate when the brake lights were on. I replaced the 4 way flasher control (above the glove box) and buta bing buta boom, they now work. I'll let the electrical gurus explan why....hang in there, we are here to help!

Seems like you're in a place most of us have been, including me in a near identical situation to you currently. You start digging into one issue and uncover more and more. Only you can really answer the "is it going to be worth it" question, but in my opinion it will be. You've made a ton of progress with the car so far, and assuming you keep going you'll be in a place where after the work is "done" at least you know it was done to your own standards, plus you learned more along the way. All cars have problems, there's no way of knowing if you had waited for a car that looked to be in better shape and was priced higher, that it wouldn't have had just as many issues hiding under it. $4500 is a good entry point, and while you're probably not going to be able to sell the car later for what you even have into it, that's also true of most hobbies. If you're enjoying the reward that comes after the frustration (which it sounds like you are so far, with how much fun you have driving it even in its current condition) then you're doing something right.

Interested in your thoughts on replacing all the wiring, as I'm looking at doing the same thing this winter on mine. Been uncovering too many questionable things previous owners have done, plus the effects that 50 years will have in general. What kit are you considering? If only we weren't, in the most literal sense, on completely opposite sides of the county, we could tag team so much of the same issues both our cars have together haha.
Nah, it's all good. I had no illusions about not spending money on the rest, that wasn't where I was going with it. It was more about the process...you make some small progress and then run into a major issue that needs to be addressed. Plus admittedly, I am one of those guys who is wired to get things done, versus dragging them out over a period of time, so patience with rebuilding this is something I am adjusting to.

Bottom line is that I am enjoying it. It's great to be out there on the weekends, and to your point, learning some new things as I go along. Plus at the end of the day, this again, is a driver. So I am not holding myself to any "show standards" of work. She's a blast to drive, it's great watching the transformation (just in the engine itself) and the things that change from where I started. I don't see this being anything that I am looking to get back investment on, or selling. I'll make her solid, ride the bones off and enjoy her for as long as she holds out. That was the goal from the start.

But yeah, there are definitely a couple folks, yourself included, that I wish were in the neighborhood lol. Definitely could tag team! Send me a message and we can exchange numbers. Always up for some dialogue on the cars!

PBR

Paul, the floor pan is a common area for attention/replacement on our cars, don't stress over it. The parts are easily available for that fix. I'd also suggest a simple turn signal flasher AND four way flasher controller replacement; often times it will fix stubborn turn signal and brake light issues (not sure why probably something to do with Black holes and distant galaxies). Recently I had a Right turn signal that would not operate when the brake lights were on. I replaced the 4 way flasher control (above the glove box) and buta bing buta boom, they now work. I'll let the electrical gurus explan why....hang in there, we are here to help!
Thanks buddy. I did some searches yesterday and did see that almost all the players (CJ, Kentucky, Classic Ind) all carry the floorpan replacement pieces...and for suprisingly affordable prices. It's more about, again, doing the work, since I have zero experience with welding). I'm taking some courses on it, so we'll see. I knew all of this was coming, it's just pretty daunting when you actually see it.

The taillights do work on all functions...it's just that something is draining the battery. I did some troubleshooting last night and left the battery hooked up. So I'm going to go out there in a bit to see if it drained it again, or if I managed to solve the issue. If we have the same issue as the other day, I may have to just start the rewiring completely. Honestly these wires are 50+ years old...so I think it's inevitable that it needs to be done.

Thanks for the support my friend. Appreciate it as always. I'll keep ya posted.

-PBR

Thanks buddy. I did some searches yesterday and did see that almost all the players (CJ, Kentucky, Classic Ind) all carry the floorpan replacement pieces...and for suprisingly affordable prices. It's more about, again, doing the work, since I have zero experience with welding). I'm taking some courses on it, so we'll see. I knew all of this was coming, it's just pretty daunting when you actually see it.

The taillights do work on all functions...it's just that something is draining the battery. I did some troubleshooting last night and left the battery hooked up. So I'm going to go out there in a bit to see if it drained it again, or if I managed to solve the issue. If we have the same issue as the other day, I may have to just start the rewiring completely. Honestly these wires are 50+ years old...so I think it's inevitable that it needs to be done.

Thanks for the support my friend. Appreciate it as always. I'll keep ya posted.

-PBR
Ps- As of this morning, the battery wasn't drained, however the blinkers stopped working. More to come.

Back