1972 Mustang Mach 1 in Houston Area

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one that does not see a value here. In my opinion it is not worth half the asking price. You are getting a bare bones Mach1 with nothing special. I do not think the Decor Group lower side molding was available on a Mach 1 so was added. The higher trim is aftermarket for sure. It is not a restored car just a car that needs everything. With the engine with that many miles the valve guide seals are crumbling and just a matter of time until the oil pump locks up from a piece of the rubber being sucked in. Or the by pass valve on the oil pump stick and it explodes oil filter. I would say if you went and did an up close inspection there will be rust issues in cowl and tail light panel, always there. Just washing these cars rusts them out don't have to be in salt.

There are much better cars that come across eBay all the time. I had to quit looking to keep from buying.

So if you bought the car for $15,000 and put $20,000 into a correct restore doing lots of work yourself it would maybe worth $22,000. Nothing special to draw a big money buyer.

That is how I see this car, just my opinion.
David, The lower molding is correct for a non stripe Mach 1. The decor option wasn't available on the Mach 1 because it was part of the Mach 1 option. The decor option was a optional package for coupes convertibles and sportroofs only.

Congrats on the new addition! Based on what I'm seeing online I think it's a good buy. It may need some work but it looks like a solid driver. In Michigan that car would be a solid $15k car all day if it's in the condition you say it's in.

There is so much garbage for sale right now it's scary........

David, I did a full inspection at a great reputable shop in Houston and it was positive and all the feedback I got were great. Car is in excellent shape and no rust issue except what I mentioned in the above post and there are no other hidden rust anywhere. Inspection lasted 2 hours and went over every single item. Appreciate your feedback.
Amer,

If you did a complete inspection and are satisfied that is all it takes.

I would for sure to pull one of the valve covers and look at the valve guide seals. The originals look like a hat around the valve stem. If there are pieces laying around or you can see them breaking apart you need to at least change the seals. This can be done without pulling the heads but if there are pieces in the oil pan they can block the screen on the oil pump causing issues that can lead to breaking oil pump drive shaft or causing the oil filters to explode when a piece gets into the oil pump. Some of the pick up screens have a hole that is covered by metal bar, not all. I do not know what engines got the pickup with hole and which did not. If the screen becomes blocked with the rubber or sludge the screen sucks up and the oil goes in the hole with no screen. This to prevent burning up the bearings. That is how the big chunks get into the pump causing the issues.

So I would suggest pulling pan if there are pieces of rubber in the heads.

Google the issue to see what I am talking about. I fixed too many of them over the years. When you buy a new oil pump there use to be a warning paper enclosed to check for the bad valve stem seals it was so common.

You know Ray and I love original or near original cars so glad you are saving one.

The Gold Glow is a great color for sure. My 72 Q Cobra Jet Vert is Gold Glow and has the NASA hood without the hood locks so no black out. I am going to do one hood without and one with when I paint is so it can be bone stock or with the black out hood and locks.

Just odd that so few options were ordered. I will have to go back and look at the Marti to see what type build it was Retail, Stock and forget the other. Sometimes if they are just building cars to keep the line busy they were not optioned too high. Dealers would also keep low option cars so they could sell you up to one with more options. One to advertise low price to draw you in and then make your mouth water with a loaded one.[/u]

Am I the only one that does not see a value here. In my opinion it is not worth half the asking price. You are getting a bare bones Mach1 with nothing special. I do not think the Decor Group lower side molding was available on a Mach 1 so was added. The higher trim is aftermarket for sure. It is not a restored car just a car that needs everything. With the engine with that many miles the valve guide seals are crumbling and just a matter of time until the oil pump locks up from a piece of the rubber being sucked in. Or the by pass valve on the oil pump stick and it explodes oil filter. I would say if you went and did an up close inspection there will be rust issues in cowl and tail light panel, always there. Just washing these cars rusts them out don't have to be in salt.

There are much better cars that come across eBay all the time. I had to quit looking to keep from buying.

So if you bought the car for $15,000 and put $20,000 into a correct restore doing lots of work yourself it would maybe worth $22,000. Nothing special to draw a big money buyer.

That is how I see this car, just my opinion.
David, The lower molding is correct for a non stripe Mach 1. The decor option wasn't available on the Mach 1 because it was part of the Mach 1 option. The decor option was a optional package for coupes convertibles and sportroofs only.
Correct. Mine is an original 'no stripe/no spoilers' car, and the rocker molding is definitely correct. The molding on the upper door is not correct, though - I think anybody who's spent any time on this site probably noticed that. ;)

Using the term "bare bones Mach 1 with nothing special" is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion - I get what you meant, David, and I don't disagree that this car is low on the options. But this car (short list of options, or not) is a well-preserved survivor, and could be worth more than a restored car with 'everything added while they were at it.' Since we have Marti Reports and Emminger data to draw from, I think having the car preserved in its current status is 'worth' more than finding a really nicely done H-code with a 429 - in both monetary as well as intrinsic value.

Congrats, Amer! Nice lookin' Mach 1. ::thumb::

Thank you guys, regarding the upper molding, it was a dealer installed item not factory.

Back