1972 Q code 4 speed convertible on ebay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
I know all 72 convertibles came stock with deluxe interior, but I thought the seat upholstery had the stainless steel or aluminum looking buttons in them. The weren't round but rectangular in shape.

see at this link

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_36.htm

here is car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-1-200-1972-MUSTANG-CONVERTIBLE-Q-CODE-351-COBRA-JETS-MADE-59K-ACT-MILES-/140823003372

59000 original miles? IF only 59,000 miles why does it appear that almost everything has been retouched or repainted? Also the lower body moulding/trim combined with the blackout at the bottom just looks wrong to me. The exhaust tips are also incorrect as they should not be on this car, it would have the exhausts turned down just as the Boss 351. Abd if it was a rarity to have the exhaust tips originally, the valence would have the cutouts and they would exit there. Other little things like the breather snorkle looks to be off a 73? (Correction - It is OK - I've been looking at to many different cars! LOL) and the hood twist locks/hood paint treatment? And the sport mirrors? Ram air ? Painted seal plenum/plate? This is one where I'd want to see some good before restoration pictures. I am sorry of this is your car but I am just pointing out things that I need to question. That is the only way I learn.

And I am learning every day...

Ray

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep looks like owner told detail man to polish that "Q" to make it stand out, and he darn near rubbed it all the way off! LOL

Also noticed the terrible masking job on the stickers/tags. Maybe just got in a hurry.

Ray

Maybe my old eyes are looking at it wrong but the pic of the serial number on the engine code letter looks odd to me:huh:
It looks odd to me too. It is the only character in the serial number string that is not raised like the others.

4f paint code should be Medium Lime Metallic!

Sorry but to me it looks like a spray it / make it shine with everything closed up

Undercoat the rest and sell it

Ray you are correct those " original seats " would have chrome bars

Love the overspray everywhere - and the painted door weather-strip is a nice " mono tone look "

4f paint code should be Medium Lime Metallic!
Good catch! (Caught me sleeping - LOL)

Maybe that explains the different color under the tire size door post sticker where is appears to be scratched.

Ray

This car is definitely an investment grade car. But the restoration was not performed to the level that this type of car requires.

Of course this and all my posts are just my opinion. (My "DUH" disclaimer...)

For the car to hold its value, it needs to be as close as possible to stock if it is being represented as a very low mile original car.

If it was being represented as a modded Mustang, and if it is done/modified to the tastes of prospective buyers, it will hold value in that way.

I've seen some exremely well done modded cars that could be bought for less than half what the owners have invested and some bring more. If that is what you are looking for - they represent a great value. :whistling:

The change of color should have been disclosed in the description. The car really does look good. But it looses some of its rarity after things get changed too much. I think the car would bring more restored to the correct color and configuration. This car is one of 201 (I think) so it is very rare. And probably even more rare with original paint. Wonder why no Marti? :shrug2:

This car is a great example of what happens when you just take your car to restoration shop and let them just 'have at it'.

Too much was completed unsupervised and unguided by a knowledgeable owner. Very few of us would have the resto shop spend so much time to leave the detailing so sketchy.

Scott (Qcode351mach) >>> (I'll throw him in here...) has tons of restoration experience and he has said on many occasions, the little things (details) really stand out in the end of a resto project. He spends a lot of time on these details and his cars show that high level of craftsmanship. BTW there are MANY cars on this forum that do as well.

I'll get off my soap box now... Next? LOL

Ray

This car is definitely an investment grade car. But the restoration was not performed to the level that this type of car requires.

Of course this and all my posts are just my opinion. (My "DUH" disclaimer...)

For the car to hold its value, it needs to be as close as possible to stock if it is being represented as a very low mile original car.

If it was being represented as a modded Mustang, and if it is done/modified to the tastes of prospective buyers, it will hold value in that way.

I've seen some exremely well done modded cars that could be bought for less than half what the owners have invested and some bring more. If that is what you are looking for - they represent a great value. :whistling:

The change of color should have been disclosed in the description. The car really does look good. But it looses some of its rarity after things get changed too much. I think the car would bring more restored to the correct color and configuration. This car is one of 201 (I think) so it is very rare. And probably even more rare with original paint. Wonder why no Marti? :shrug2:

This car is a great example of what happens when you just take your car to restoration shop and let them just 'have at it'.

Too much was completed unsupervised and unguided by a knowledgeable owner. Very few of us would have the resto shop spend so much time to leave the detailing so sketchy.

Scott (Qcode351mach) >>> (I'll throw him in here...) has tons of restoration experience and he has said on many occasions, the little things (details) really stand out in the end of a resto project. He spends a lot of time on these details and his cars show that high level of craftsmanship. BTW there are MANY cars on this forum that do as well.

I'll get off my soap box now... Next? LOL

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Things look Odd to me too.

I agree with OMS and Boss1Ray , too many parts missing.

Nice car , but 23K and reserve not met for a car with all those parts missing and the wrong color !??

JB

Hmm - for that price you would think a spare tire would be included. :rolleyes:

Amatuer paint job, ESPECIALLY painting over the black ram air plenum with that pinkish red and the hood hinges just to name a few things that should not be body color. :s

It will keep coming back until he takes it to mecum or Barrett Jackson then will be back again!

original.0

Back