1973 Convertible Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been trying to figure out what door panels my car originally came with.

72 & 73 verts all received an upgraded interior with the "deluxe" molded door panels, knitted vinyl buckets, deluxe color keyed seatbelts and the camera case dash panel trims with the chrome border. Some very late units received solid vinyl seats due to a supply issue with comfortweave. Something to note is that the center stack on a convertible was always camera case. The woodgrain version was only used in the Grande' and Mach 1 Sports interior cars.

73 convertible.jpg

Thanks, I guess that means I’ll need to replace the door panels with the deluxe ones. One other question I had, are new quarter trim interior panels sold with the hole for the manual window crank or sold blank? I have electric windows, so I’ll need to modify (?) those panels for the electric switch? Thanks again for the help.

Thanks, I guess that means I’ll need to replace the door panels with the deluxe ones. One other question I had, are new quarter trim interior panels sold with the hole for the manual window crank or sold blank? I have electric windows, so I’ll need to modify (?) those panels for the electric switch? Thanks again for the help.
Check the reviews on those interior panels. All I've read has been they do not fit well and are not made well. It might be well worth your time to try and find some nice original ones and dye them to match your interior.

The matching pair of brackets in your second photo are brackets needed to support the upper urethane surface on the 1973 front bumper. They bolt to the top of the main cross brace within the bumper assy. Note arrows below.

Attachments

• 73 Bumper Assy..JPG
    73 Bumper Assy..JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 0
The manual door and quarter trim panels can be modified for the window switches. The factory parts had a cutout pattern on the back side molded/stamped into them. @Motorcity Mustang might have some quarter trims.

Thanks @JPWally , I learned something new today!

1726152788472.png

I’ve finished going through the loose parts that came with my basket case car, and I have parts I cannot figure out. If you know, appreciate the help. I believe the first part is a timing pointer, but I have no engine that goes with it:

View attachment 92937

This next part looks structural, thicker than just a 21ish gauge metal part. Here are two views of it:

View attachment 92938 View attachment 92939

This final part is two pieces that look like they would go somewhere on the front fenders. The hole pattern fits the middle fender attachment bolts, but I’ve got no idea if that’s even close:

View attachment 92940

One thing I have discovered is there are lots of missing parts. But, my plan is to use the parts on my current project coupe to resolve that. That won’t help where the convertible parts are needed, but so far there, I know I need everything from the pump to the cylinders. I have to decide if I’ll start from scratch on the interior, or use the coupe parts, but I’m leaning all new, since it’s missing most of that too (not the seats).

Thank you again, Steve.
Is you car a 1973 model year? If so then these two parts are correct for your car. They bolt to the 73 one year only rubber front bumper frame to support the top part of the bumper.

I’ve been trying to figure out what door panels my car originally came with. I’ve got the Marti report, but it isn’t clear to me. I’ve also spent quite a bit of time searching the web for Conv interior pics, since I only have the seats and no other interior parts. Maybe it’s my poor search skills, but I cannot find an Conv interior with electric windows that doesn’t have the deluxe door panels. I kinda like the standard door panels, but can’t seem to find any evidence they exist on 73 Conv with electric window.

View attachment 92966
From the sites I visited and talking to local car guys, the convertible came with the molded door panels.Haven't ever seen standard in any 73. All seats where high backs as far as I can tell, I dont know how many came with power windows. are you sure this was even an option in these cars? Looking forward to pics of your travels.

Back