1973 Mach 1 Original Order Form

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
This is the original order form that was filled out at the Ford dealer for the original owner of My Mach 1. I thought this my be a window back to the past for those of us who were not old enough to be able to order a new Mach 1 like this. I was a 14 year old kid in 1973. I loved the big Mustangs and remember looking at them in the showroom wishing I could buy one. What a thrill it must have been to be able to go into the Ford dealer and write up a two page order form loaded with options to buy one of the last big Mustangs ever produced! You will notice that this Mustang was ordered on 5/16/73. It appears that the original color selected was 5A (light pewter metallic). That must not have been available on a Mach 1 so he went with 3K (blue glow). The car was also ordered with a 3.50 gear ratio but arrived on 7/16/73 with the optional 3.25 ratio and the Magnum 500 wheels requested were replaced with forged aluminum wheels. Anyway, a bit of history I thought you guys would enjoy,

mbhdnk.jpg

1opuut.jpg

Very cool man...And your car in options is very close to mine...Same Motor..Rear end and even power windows..Besides mine is a auto..And proubly the only reason mine has AC added...You couldnt get that with a stick....Gives me a close idea of what mine costed originaly thou...lol...Getting close to the 5 grand mark in 1973 whosers!! Thats a spendy mustang;)

According to alot of sites...And i seen a few one of one cars with ac and 4 speed...But it voided the warranty...So none hardly got put on...lol...Cause who would want to dish out 4 or 5,000 back then on a car with no warranty? I guess maybe your guy didnt care...lol...Including the boss..Which you couldnt get ac on either i thought.

According to alot of sites...And i seen a few one of one cars with ac and 4 speed...But it voided the warranty...So none hardly got put on...lol...Cause who would want to dish out 4 or 5,000 back then on a car with no warranty? I guess maybe your guy didnt care...lol...Including the boss..Which you couldnt get ac on either i thought.
I'm pretty sure the Boss was a definite.

Very nice Steve! Thanks for sharing. Interesting about the gear ratio and magnums. But magnum 500's were available at the dealer and they could have been a customer requested change upon delivery.

I'm not sure about 73 but I know for 72, the 351 CJ could be ordered with an optional 3.50 ratio to replace the 'stock' 3.25.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray - For 1973, the 351C-4V with a 4 speed and no AC came standard with a 3.50 ratio (open or Traction-Lok). The optional ratio was the 3.25. There were no other choices. AC equipped 4 speed 351C-4V cars required a 3.25 ratio. This is consistent with my Marti report stating that the 3.25 ratio for my car was an "optional axle ratio".

Light Pewter was available so maybe they just saw a car close to what his order was and sent it. Also noticed that both colors were circled on the paint chart maybe he simply changed his mind after the fact.

Thanks for posting this. I used to buy parts from that dealership when I lived in Decatur, 1979-1985. Small world. Chuck

Steve,

That would be awesome to have such original documents for your car. I did get an elite Marti report for my car, closest I'll ever get to original documents. My 73 Grande Coupe came with a lot of the same options. It did come with a 351 4V CJ, 4 speed tranny, AC and a 3.25 conventional rear end...

WOW thats great. The Magnums are what popped out at me first. He didnt really leave many options out.:D

My dad never ordered his cars. Always bought them on the lot...except for his 64 1/2 Mustang Convertible.

He said all he had to go by was a black silhouette on a white sheet of paper. Haven't come across anything yet. Can't believe I haven't found the window sticker.

Thanks for posting Q.

Latest posts

Back