1973 motor mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1
My mounts look original, and they have cracks in the rubber. I'd like to use poly mounts, but then only list to '72. I gather the 73 mounts were a clam shell style? EDIT I do have clamshell style.

Will these urethane mounts bolt in?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-6-1904-BL/?rtype=10

Last edited by a moderator:
Any particular reason to spend $152 on the mounts? On my '71 (which I realize isn't a '73), I was able to go to O'Reilly Auto Parts and buy 2 mounts, made in the USA, right off the shelf for $12 each. I replaced them because my original, 41-year-old, mounts had the same cracked rubber and one snapped in half (the rubber let go) while I was installing the motor after overhauling it. The mounts from O'Reilly worked just fine.

By the way, the impression I had is that Ford used those same mounts for years and on just about every small-block V8 they had, which is why my local O'Reilly had them in stock.

I haven't used them but were told they fit by 2 customers

Dan 65 - 72 small block mounts were the same 73 and up were changed

Agree with Roy, can tell you want them!!!

Don

Don
Gentleman mark this day down on your calender, it will go down in history!!!!!!

Don agreed with me:p

Don
Gentleman mark this day down on your calender, it will go down in history!!!!!!

Don agreed with me:p
Roy, sorry but it must be something to do with spell-check, microsoft word or misalignment of the planets

I think I meant to say :huh:

Don't be coy, you know you want them !!!

OR

Need a new toy, you know you want them !!!

Because like your ex-wife I cannot agree with you :D:D:D:D

I have the originals on my car. They have 93,000 hard mles,drag racing with slicks etc...no issues.I have checked them many times for any problems. I have a pair on NOS mounts that I can compare them too. I bought these when you could still get them from Ford. The 73 Q codes are differant than the rest. No one makes them.I had always heard the the frame mounts were differant also. Any one know for sure? Is it the height ,because of the interlocking style mount?

My mounts look original, and they have cracks in the rubber. I'd like to use poly mounts, but then only list to '72. I gather the 73 mounts were a clam shell style? EDIT I do have clamshell style.

So, How did they work out as far as being a direct changeout?

I have a 73 Q code conv. and just spent the summer trying to get motor mount to work.

I have the clam shell type with the number 665 stamped on them. there is also one that has 663 stamped on them.

I first tried the open kind that is glued together two pieces of metal with rubber in the middle. they lasted 300 miles.

Next I went ot the Poly mounts.

There is a trick to making them bolt up. You have to loosen all the bolts on the frame mounts right to the last tread, start all bolt in the mount, let the weight of the engine down on the mounts and than tighten up all the bolts. I was told to also loosen the bolts on the poly mount so the poly can adjust itself inside of the mounts. I didn't do this but it looks like it may have been the right thing to do , because it pulled the poly a little inside the mount cage.

The company that makes them has it listed that they will fit a 73, check out there web site

Good Luck

I have a 73 Q code conv. and just spent the summer trying to get motor mount to work.

I have the clam shell type with the number 665 stamped on them. there is also one that has 663 stamped on them.

I first tried the open kind that is glued together two pieces of metal with rubber in the middle. they lasted 300 miles.

Next I went ot the Poly mounts.

There is a trick to making them bolt up. You have to loosen all the bolts on the frame mounts right to the last tread, start all bolt in the mount, let the weight of the engine down on the mounts and than tighten up all the bolts. I was told to also loosen the bolts on the poly mount so the poly can adjust itself inside of the mounts. I didn't do this but it looks like it may have been the right thing to do , because it pulled the poly a little inside the mount cage.

The company that makes them has it listed that they will fit a 73, check out there web site

Good Luck
Convertible mounts are not the same as coupe / fastback

There is something with a angle change.

I have a couple of 73 convertible mounts

Don

I used the $12 ones from autozone and they are at least a 1/2 inch shorter than the clamshell 73's. It makes the fan rub on the bottom of the shroud. I think a 1/2 inch shim plate where it bolts to the motor might work.Longer bolts would be needed.

So, How did they work out as far as being a direct changeout?
Haven't gotten to them yet. I'm gonna be pulling the motor to change the heads/cam and decided to hold off till then.

Hello Totalled,

Yes, I remember reading your thread on this issue during my 1973 engine re-installation, new motor mounts process. This helped a lot! I believe the design change was to prevent the lifting (twisting) of the engine during hard acceleration. Could this also be part of the enhancements to co-exist with the front end and bumper crash specifications? Since today's modern automobiles engines are designed to drop the engine in a frontal crash, maybe this was to help keep the engine from moving backwards?

Comments??

mustang7173

Back