1G alternator conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Q code C6 tranny
Converting my electrical to a 1 G alternator so here are my questions. Can I completely remove the harness that went to the alternator and the old voltage regulator and also remove the regulator? I also believe that the Black/orange wire from the alternator went to the single post junction box next to the regulator so it supplied power up to that point from the alternator. Is that power source still necessary? I have eliminated the amp meter and converted it to a voltmeter. The instructions say to mount the output of the alternator directly to the battery through a fuse, nothing about the voltage regulator or old wiring. Just looking for confirmation so that I don't fry any wiring.

thx

-jbojo

If you're replacing your 1G with a 3G the old regulator is removed and you just run the new 4 gauge wire through a fuse and connect it to the battery post on the solenoid. You also have to run the ignition on wire (connected to the old regulator I terminal) to the 3G alternator I terminal and loop the wire from the B terminal to the A terminal on the 3G and make sure the S terminal is connected at back of the 3G. Make sure you have a good ground from the engine to the chassis/negative battery terminal. You can completely remove the old alternator harness. You can also use one of the wires from the old harness to connect the ignition on wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. I went with a Tuff Stuff 1 wire alternator for Fords. It only has 2 connections, a ground and output wire to the battery. Since I am going with a MSD ignition I don't used a switched pwr source to the coil but to the MSD control box itself. There were no instructions on wiring this up so appreciate all the help.

thx

-jbojo

Back