2V Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dashbrazil

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Sprint, 2V
I'm looking at finally getting headers installed on my 351 2V seeing as I've finally gotten to the point we aren't breaking down every month. I'm looking at the Hedman Headers (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-88326/) and these Hookers (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-6913-1HKR/). How's the fitment? I hear sometimes the motor mounts are spaced, and I'd like to go to my shop armed with every part they'll need seeing as time is a precious commodity when you work through business hours every week :dodgy:

Any insight on fitment before I bite the bullet? Also, the Aussie 3V heads are available in my town by God's own luck, they fit the 2V headers right? I'd been confused by the 3V nomenclature and not knowing what the Aussie's are on about. Looking at picking up a pair to cleanup since they're cheaper than aluminums and here in town.

Michael, can't help you with your question on the headers but noticed your at DLI and in the Navy, what language you studying, or are you stationed there ? I studied German and had a blast at DLI although I busted my ass 7 days a week just to stay in the program. I've heard good things about the Aussie 3V heads.

Jim

CHI heads came out with a 3v designation for some of their Clevland heads. They saw themselves as an inbetween the 2v and 4v port sizes.

I ran the hooker 2v version, but I can't verify if that is the same as your link, I don't have the part number. No fitment problems.

I believe that the chi heads will fit a 2v setup but can breath in between a 2v and 4v heads. Plenty of info and graphs on their website. Interested to see how you go, because I'll be following suit in the near future.

I had Headman 2V headers on my 71 Grande they fit very well . When I put the 4V motor in I ran Cyclone/Blackjack they where to tight to the starter and trans pan. I switched to Hookers and they fit a little better. When I got my Mach1 it had headers on it, not sure what kind but they where tight to the starter and trans just like my 4V motor. I think the Cyclone/Blackjack headers where built for 1970 Mustangs that have smaller engine bays. I would say the Headmans are built for the 7173s because they don't need to hug the engine and trans.

I run the Hedman headers, they fit fine, no problems.

I believe that the chi heads will fit a 2v setup but can breath in between a 2v and 4v heads. Plenty of info and graphs on their website. Interested to see how you go, because I'll be following suit in the near future.
I'll update the thread on how it goes when I order and get them fitted then.

I run the Hedman headers, they fit fine, no problems.
I'll go with the Hedman headers then :p Thanks guys!

I went with some Hooker Competition Headers (ceramic-coated) because I kinda had no choice. I originally wanted the Hedmans, but Summitt had them on back-order for about 6 weeks from the time of my order. So I canned that and went with the Hookers.

Be advised that the Hookers are also WAY more expensive ($400 for the Hedmans, $530 for the Hookers - both prices for ceramic-coated), and the Hookers don't come with anything except the headers, gaskets, and engine bolts - you'll need to buy collectors separately for them. The Hedmans should come with everything (gaskets, headers, collectors, and mounting hardware).

The only issues I had with the Hookers are that they come out the back angled inward about 7-8 degrees (toward the center). This is not horrible, but if you're planning on installing a 'kit' exhaust like I did (Pypes 2.5") or have to match up to an existing exhaust system, you'll have to get creative. I wound up bending the lead pipes from the collectors to the 'X' pipe to fit. Everything's fine now. And don't get me wrong - the Hookers are awesome and fit really, really well... lots of room for the starter, transmission, and steering gearbox. But if you have an aftermarket transmission mount/crossmember (like for an AOD), you'll need to get creative there as well.

IMHO - I would've preferred the Hedmans because the Hookers are so much more expensive in the short run. But I was up against a wall for time, so I couldn't wait for them. I suppose I could've also just gone with the painted headers, but I don't want to be buying another set of headers at some point down the road because the painted ones rusted through (like the ones originally on mine did).

I hope this information helps you with your decision.

Back