302 engine upgrades

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most loaded and controversial small block Ford question ever :)

Unfortunately, changing the heads is the shortest route to more street power in a 302.

Unported, used GT40 iron heads by themselves should give an easy 30hp over the stockers while keeping everything else the same.

Otherwise, a mild cam change and headers are the next things I'd change.

Intake would be next.

The rest would depend on the depth of your wallet.

All in my opinion, of course.

I've done about a dozen GT-40 and GT-40P head swaps over the years. My money would hands down go to the GT-40's. Especially if they came off a Mustang Cobra and has the Crane roller rockers already on them. They have hardened exhaust seats from the factory and not the induction hardened ones like in the P's, The valve springs come with spring cups and will work with a mild roller cam or HFT camshaft. The P's springs are pathetic Explorer truck fare and will need to be replaced. The regular GT-40's have a standard style exhaust/spark plug orientation keeping things simple/cheaper when you consider header selection. Lastly the GT-40's have 1/2" holes for the head bolts so if you ever want to install them onto a 351w they will bolt on without modification.

The P's are not much better flowing than the regular 40's, but for me the pros vs cons I give the regular 40's the nod. It sepends on what you can afford, what you can find when you have the cash to buy.

Again, these are budget factory heads and really will not give you all that much more power vs the most modest set of aftermarket aluminum heads.

http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/gt40-gt40p.html

I heard a few good things about these heads in terms of quality metals and components used. I'm waiting for someone to tell me 1st hand on the ford as all I've seen is testimony from a few Chevy guys.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pmx-9175/overview/make/ford

But again, it's money and I dont know your budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my GT40X cylinder heads from Ford racing, they aren't overly expensive and my car rips hard with them. I have them on a windsor but they would work great on a 302. One thing to remember is if you go with a 2.02" intake valve you may have to put bigger valve reliefs in the pistons or piston to valve problems could come up and ruin your day.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFR Heads are my performance head of choice. Also Trick Flow. Either one of these will give you GOBS more power over stock, GT-40, GT40p, or GT40X. Both AFR and Trick FLow are CNC ported and will flow like crazy. They really put down the power. You will likely get 100hp out of them and with the proper cam, even more.

Back