302 in a 71 mach 1)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtgb428

Reaction score
My Car
I love ford and mercury muscle cars.I have owned a 65 fastback,a 70,71 and 72 fastback.68 and 69 torino and a 69 mercury cougar.I currently own a 65 comet.I live foe muscle cars.
Hey guys Jim here. I'm looking a a 71 mach 1 for sale. I have owned ford muscle cars in the past and they were 351 Windsors or Clevelands also a S code 390 big block. This particular car has a 302 from the factory in it. I am more into the performance end of things, not drag racing but more of a street oriented type of guy. I've never had a 302 in a muscle car and I'm kind of in the dark on how a 302 is going to perform in this mach 1. My 351s and my 390 were solid performers but I have my doubts on a 302 in this size of a car. The car I'm looking at is nice but as I stated I'm a little tentative about the 302 engine being able to push this mach 1 performance wise. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim jtgb428.

If you don't care how much you change the car from original - you can definitely make a 302 car run.

I'm no mechanic but have seen some strong running 302's.

But if you want a fairly common factory performance Mustang - go for a '71 M code 351 C 4V car.

Ford built a ton of them and even in stock configuration they ran pretty good. And (if not modified too much) the 4V cars will have some good factory suspension setups - a definite improvement over most of the 302 powered cars.

The 73 Q codes were another possible selection. Respectfully - they made more of them than any other year...

After that the 71 & 72 Q code cars are nice setups and can be made to run great.

Then comes the very rare cars including the Boss 351 , 351 HO and the 429 SCJ and CJ's.

After that and if $$$ are no object the choices are many including some Q, R, C and J code examples.

One more thing to keep in mind - a late model 6 cyl Mustang has virtually the same HP as the Boss 351 did when new.

And the late model has AC! Technology...

Ray

An easy 300 "modern" horsepower is easily attainible with a nice, moderately- built 302...if you are dead set on keeping the original engine.

Today's all around best choice for power, handling, durabilty and economy would be a nice 351 Windsor. Definitely not a stock offering, but it will plug right in, and 400 durable horses are easy-peasy.

Last edited:
You could warm it up and make it a 347. Then everyone will be in awe over how well that old 1971 mustang with a 302 runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes stroke it to a 331 for frequent driving or a 347 for a weekend cruiser . . to go fast with any small block you will need at least 3.50 gears and around a 2400 rpm stall if you want to burn rubber.

I can attest to the power a 302 can make, as I have a built 306 in my '71. I had plans for a big block, but have decided to keep the small block for several reasons, (cost to build, weight advantage, room to work, parts availability, etc.) My 306 has responded very well to the mods I've done, and can more than hold its own against even today's 'musclecars' in a straight line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can attest to the power a 302 can make, as I have a built 306 in my '71. I had plans for a big block, but have decided to keep the small block for several reasons, (cost to build, weight advantage, room to work, parts availability, etc.) My 306 has responded very well to the mods I've done, and can more than hold its own against even today's 'musclecars' in a straight line.
A 302 in a '71 is a strong performer if it's prepared to modern standards. A naturally aspirated 10:1 302 with SEFI, EDIS8 ignition, modern heads, roller cam, intake, etc. will make 400 hp at the flywheel. Using a Dart block, I'm generating 750 hp at the flywheel with a supercharger out of a 306. The weight savings are pretty solid and performance parts selection is pretty obscene given the engine's devout following. The other nice thing about "Five Liter" is the fuel savings. I can cruise (in my '89 Mustang) on the interstate getting about 30 mpg.

I agree a 302 based motor can make great power, but if you're considering a stroker then you're not too concerned with keeping it original. In that case you might want to just build a 393w. It will make more toque, will fit just fine, won't really cost any more than a 302 stroker and 400hp from a 393 will be that much more "mild" than a 302 or 347. If you are considering a Dart block, you can build a 414, 427 or a 438w. With alum heads, intake and water pump, it won't be much heavier than an iron 302. Not to mention you can build it as mild or wild as you want. Just a thought..

Back