302 Stroker questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrousVa

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
I'm looking at building a new motor for my Stang, I'd like to start with a late model 302 roller block. I'd also like to do a stroker motor while I'm at it. Does anyone know the pros and cons between the 331 and the 347 stroker kits? I know bigger is always better, so I'm leaning towards the 347, but I'd like some opinions before I get started.

TIA

Robert

Either will work well. I went with a 331 just because I got the full Scat 331 Kit cheap from a dude in Richmond. Cash money. Multiple good machine shops in the area also. I have a roller block in the garage also for my build. Makes cam selection and break in alot easier. Still gathering parts right now.

Only thing major I was warned by multiple people to be careful of the eagle kits do to possible inconsistent grinds. I went with a Scat kit.

why not just use a lil taller and wider block thats already a 351? i vote for 351 windsors, if you must stroker it, then make it a 393.

I put a 393w in my '68 and love it. AFR-205 heads and an Air Gap intake. Makes an easy 475 hp with 10:1 and California 91 octane. If you're starting from scratch, I think you'll find it's not much more than a 302 based stroker.

I have a 302 mildly built, its pretty fun car, obviously not huge number but pretty decent @ about 400 HP and tq (not exactly but roughly). If you are going with a 302 based motor and stroking it itll be pricey, it is easier to go with a 351. Also be careful on how much you bore it out because from what i heard if the walls are too thin, it gets hot.

Not many people making a 347 kit with the intersecting wrist pin-oil ring combo anymore. Even so, they learned to install a oil ring support ring on the bottom and that solved the issue. I'd still get the non intersecting 347 piston setup personally, but its all up to you.

Before you go spend the money on a stroker kit, what calendar heads do you have? Good heads will make a lot more power on a 302 vs a stroker with stock heads.

Before you go spend the money on a stroker kit, what calendar heads do you have? Good heads will make a lot more power on a 302 vs a stroker with stock heads.
I'm actually looking at the Edelbrock kit to turn a 302 into a Boss 302, they use their Clevland heads and Boss intake. So I'm looking to build a Boss 347, should be a good combination, at least in my mind :)

I've always wanted a Boss 302, so now I can have it, just in a better looking car, and convertible too!

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/cylheads/ford/cle_perf_rpm1.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess, if that's what you really want. You're probably money ahead with similar outcome with a 347 with a set of cleaned up AFR- heads. I would bet money a 347 stroker would be close to a Windsor stroker kit (cost).

I'm actually looking at the Edelbrock kit to turn a 302 into a Boss 302, they use their Clevland heads and Boss intake. So I'm looking to build a Boss 347, should be a good combination, at least in my mind :)

I've always wanted a Boss 302, so now I can have it, just in a better looking car, and convertible too!

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/cylheads/ford/cle_perf_rpm1.shtml
Payed the cost to be the boss:p. if its something you have always wanted eg Boss then do that, affairs of the heart need to be indulged from time to time.

Back